Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I scheduled my Accord 2013 to be diagnosed by a Honda dealer tomorrow. They said they are going to charge me a $110 diagnosis fee and that it will be waived if there was indeed a problem. Basically, the problem I have was that during the summer months, whenever I turned on the AC, it would make periodic clicking noises. I am not sure if this is normal. Would you guys advise that I bring it in the dealer and risk paying for the diagnosis fee?

Thanks!

·
Registered
480 Posts
That's the sound of the a/c compressor clutch engaging and disengaging. It's normal and it can happen as frequently as every few seconds when the a/c is on.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
How many miles are on your car? If it's less than 36,000 the dealer is trying to rip you off. No way should you be paying a diagnosis fee for a car under warranty. And like Gearhead said, it's most likely the compressor cycling on and off.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the information guys. My car has only 2,000 miles on it. I will be cancelling my appointment and in the future will never return to them.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I can't believe what some dealers try to get away with!!! As stated above, it sounds like your A/C compressor cycling on and off........perfectly normal.

·
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A
10,002 Posts
No way should you be paying a diagnosis fee for a car under warranty.
On the one hand, I kind of agree with you. But on the other hand, the dealer does need to cover the cost of doing the diagnostic work if it turns out there isn't anything wrong with the car. You don't work for free, right?

Imagine the dealer getting several people a day coming in saying there's something wrong with their car, asks the dealer to look into it, and expecting the dealer to do the diagnostic work for free. Is the dealer just suppose to eat those costs when it turns out there's nothing wrong with the car as is the case with the OP?

If there is something wrong with the car, then the diagnostic fee is refunded and everything is covered under warranty. Seems reasonable. (The fee could be less though.)

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
On the one hand, I kind of agree with you. But on the other hand, the dealer does need to cover the cost of doing the diagnostic work if it turns out there isn't anything wrong with the car. You don't work for free, right?

Imagine the dealer getting several people a day coming in saying there's something wrong with their car, asks the dealer to look into it, and expecting the dealer to do the diagnostic work for free. Is the dealer just suppose to eat those costs when it turns out there's nothing wrong with the car as is the case with the OP?

If there is something wrong with the car, then the diagnostic fee is refunded and everything is covered under warranty. Seems reasonable. (The fee could be less though.)
But dealers do "diagnostic" work for free every day. And people complain about getting the response of "Could not duplicate concern" when they have their car in for a noise, vibration, etc. The customer may never return with the same issue again. You don't see the dealer charging the customer a diagnosis fee in those situations, so how would this be any different? Aside from the fact that the OP now knows that the noise he is hearing may very well be normal.

I should add that the dealer's charge the labor to Honda as warranty work. Regardless of how it's handled internally, the customer pays nothing, whether there is an actual problem or not.

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,057 Posts
The AC compressor will not run 100% of the time. If it did the lines would ice up = no bueno.

However, if the clearance between the clutch and the pulley (think that's what they're called) isn't correct then it can slip when engaged. Would probably sound quite obvious though.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
But dealers do "diagnostic" work for free every day. And people complain about getting the response of "Could not duplicate concern" when they have their car in for a noise, vibration, etc. The customer may never return with the same issue again. You don't see the dealer charging the customer a diagnosis fee in those situations, so how would this be any different? Aside from the fact that the OP now knows that the noise he is hearing may very well be normal.

I should add that the dealer's charge the labor to Honda as warranty work. Regardless of how it's handled internally, the customer pays nothing, whether there is an actual problem or not.
false - we do not get paid warranty on any 'did not duplicate' concern.

I agree we should get paid diag but only if we can duplicate it. the customer will never pay diag if we can duplicate a problem unless there is physical outside influence like rodent damage or ran over some crap situations.

therefore you see little effort from most techs on 'rattle noises' etc if it's not easily duplicated.

·
Registered
23 Posts
AC Compressor

Not true, some GM front wheel drive cars use a a/c compressor that runs 100% of the time. When I got my 2013 Accord I thought the compressor cycling sounded weird. After a google search I found this was normal. My last car was a 2006 Impala, which has a very weak a/c system and a loud a/c compressor. In the summer when accelerating hard I can feel power losses when the compressor cycles. BTY, my accord has the coldest AC of any car I have owned.

The AC compressor will not run 100% of the time. If it did the lines would ice up = no bueno.

However, if the clearance between the clutch and the pulley (think that's what they're called) isn't correct then it can slip when engaged. Would probably sound quite obvious though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts