Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This Sport is no more than a month old with about 250 miles on it. We turned the AC on for the first time today, as it was actually unseasonably warm enough to use. Well, we tried all the settings, even with the temp set to "Lo". But we had no luck getting cool air to come out. Turning off the AC and receiving outside ventilation, the incoming air felt much cooler. Is this a first on the forum for the AC not working on a brand new car?

A search online provided this story with a 2013 Accord:
http://repairpal.com/air-conditioning-blowing-warm-air-502

In that particular story, they say theirs was damaged by a rock hitting the condenser. Well, this car we bought only had 7 miles on it at delivery. Wanting to keep it pristine, we have been extra vigilant to only drive it on clean roads and have avoided areas with road construction, so I don't know how this would be possible in our case. I was hoping at first it was simply user error with the controls, but it looks like we have to take a trip to the dealer...

·
Banned
251 Posts
This Sport is no more than a month old with about 250 miles on it. We turned the AC on for the first time today, as it was actually unseasonably warm enough to use. Well, we tried all the settings, even with the temp set to "Lo". But we had no luck getting cool air to come out. Turning off the AC and receiving outside ventilation, the incoming air felt much cooler. Is this a first on the forum for the AC not working on a brand new car?

A search online provided this story with a 2013 Accord:
http://repairpal.com/air-conditioning-blowing-warm-air-502

In that particular story, they say theirs was damaged by a rock hitting the condenser. Well, this car we bought only had 7 miles on it at delivery. Wanting to keep it pristine, we have been extra vigilant to only drive it on clean roads and have avoided areas with road construction, so I don't know how this would be possible in our case. I was hoping at first it was simply user error with the controls, but it looks like we have to take a trip to the dealer...
Count me in. A "rock" hit the condenser and now my a/c is broken. Honda wont fix under warranty, CORP wont even listen to me.

You cant even see the impact crater on my condenser. It must be crappy quality.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Regardless of what caused the leak it appears that your AC system is out of refrigerant. I would take it back to the dealer and have them test the system under the warranty. The worst case scenario is that the condenser was damaged by a rock. Best case scenario is that a fitting was not tightned properly.

·
Registered
275 Posts
What I would do for the need to turn on my AC right about now.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Count me in. A "rock" hit the condenser and now my a/c is broken. Honda wont fix under warranty, CORP wont even listen to me.

You cant even see the impact crater on my condenser. It must be crappy quality.
This is not covered under warranty on a brand new car???

What I would do for the need to turn on my AC right about now.
Haha, yes, I was surprised my girlfriend even turned it on today as I was certainly not hot. But how silly of us to even assume the AC would work on a brand new car and not test it in the dead of winter before signing the deal.

·
Banned
251 Posts
This is not covered under warranty on a brand new car???

Haha, yes, I was surprised my girlfriend even turned it on today as I was certainly not hot. But how silly of us to even assume the AC would work on a brand new car and not test it in the dead of winter before signing the deal.
Its not. Its considered road debris.

The funny thing is, it doeesnt have to be a big rock or even in a construction zone..

One small rock that can come from a trucks tire is enough to break it :thumbsdow

·
HA-420
709 Posts
Here's a thread for a DIY condenser protector; someone made it because it's not covered under warranty - just like how your windshield isn't if it gets hit by a rock.

·
Banned
251 Posts
Here's a thread for a DIY condenser protector; someone made it because it's not covered under warranty - just like how your windshield isn't if it gets hit by a rock.
Been in countless arguments over this.

It is NOT the same thing as the windshield.

Hell, my windshield can take a bigger hit than the condenser.

Why the hell does this mostly happen on Hondas? It is well documented.

This screams DESIGN FLAW.

I wish I had more money and resources to pursue honda in court.

Lets say the intake sucks in a bug, is that my fault???
Road hazard?

No- there is an air filter (protection) to make sure things like this dont happen.

Thats the only comparison I can think of..

·
HA-420
709 Posts

Yea ok well you let us know how court goes - I'm gonna go to Lowe's.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow, thanks for the heads up.

Are there any other "mandatory" mods to protect this car?

And I'm with Fis. If this problem can arise on a car with less than 250 miles on it, this is definitely a design flaw. Consumers should not be expected to take off their bumpers, go to Lowes to buy a $4 strip of gutter guard, install said gutter guard, and re-install the bumper to reasonably protect their condensers from minor, undetectable (and therefore unavoidable) road debris.

·
HA-420
709 Posts
Wow, thanks for the heads up.

Are there any other "mandatory" mods to protect this car?

And I'm with Fis. If this problem can arise on a car with less than 250 miles on it, this is definitely a design flaw. Consumers should not be expected to take off their bumpers, go to Lowes to buy a $4 strip of gutter guard, install said gutter guard, and re-install the bumper to reasonably protect their condensers from minor, undetectable (and therefore unavoidable) road debris.
It sucks, I know. I don't think anyone's being expected to do this gutter guard mod - it's a little OCD to be honest - but brilliant at the same time.

It happened and it will continue to happen and Honda apparently isn't gonna do jack.

·
Don't hate on my color!!
1,842 Posts
A rock hitting anything is a comprehensive claim and not the fault of the manufacturer. Any judge in his right mind will laugh you out of court.

·
Former H Master Tech
318 Posts

Lets say the intake sucks in a bug, is that my fault???
Road hazard?

No- there is an air filter (protection) to make sure things like this dont happen.

Thats the only comparison I can think of..
How is it a design flaw? It's a piece of thin aluminum that's in the front of all cars that is under high pressure. A piece of road debris made its way through his lower honeycomb grill (that is designed to protect it from most debris) and punctured it. It happens to all cars, and ones with completely exposed condensor cores (ie:02' and prior accords) are way more likely to be damaged. If that same rock would have been a few inches higher and hit his hood or windshield would it be a "design flaw"... NO! Sorry, Hondas were not made to be rock proof.

This is covered by your car insurance. So if you feel it's necessary, contact them and it will be covered.

·
Banned
13,101 Posts
We've been doing the gutter guard mod on the 7th Gen Accords for years. Problem solved.

A new condenser, cleaning and recharging of the lines, plus labor can easily exceed $800. Spend the $10 and get on with your life....

You can look at the Kia forums, Ford forums, etc.....everyone is dealing with this.

·
Thunder Up!
2,559 Posts
Good thing you have a warranty!

If the refrigerant is low/gone/whatever.....there is a leak. Make sure they find the leak or it will just keep happening.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Honda DID pay for most of the repair cost when my '05 condensor was punctured in 2006. It was around $750 to replace but they reimbursed me for over $600.

I probably don't have the service order anymore, as that was 3 cars ago...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So it turned out to be a factory defect. An o-ring was pinched during assembly, preventing an air tight seal. The system was never able to hold coolant. They said it is fixed now. Let's hope. :)

·
JaeDM
567 Posts
now you guys make me want to test out my a/c in -5 temp just to be sure mine still works lol

·
Registered
408 Posts
A/C won't kick in until the temperature hits freezing--which it did today in my neck of the woods for the first time in..what did the weather say??..THREE WEEKS!!! :rolleyes: I thought most of the PDI takes place on a test drive, not inside. (Compass calibration, idle-learn and the like.)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts