Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had a shop check my AC, it was only 5$ when I got my alignment. But they said it had no leaks, but was 5oz low on 134. So Instead of paying the 95$ they wanted I went to autozone and got a can with a Guage. I put in a small amount, and now the AC only blows hot air. Before this it blew moderately cold air. Now it's just all hot. The compressor turns on and off every 5 seconds or so, and it can be felt while driving. I work delivery in southern Arizona, so I really need AC for work. Any info would be helpful.

·
04 Accord Ex V6 Coupe
81 Posts
Did you add r134a while the engine is running? A/C on? Fan turned to maximum?

·
sip_99
25 Posts
I had a similar situation, however I think I know part of the problem.

I changed the radiator and hoses on my 2003 Accord I-4. Coincidentally, right after, the air con seemed to be not as cold. So I added a bit of r134a to the low pressure side. However, upon adding 'too much', the compressor would not turn on.

So I released some pressure from the low side from the valve. ....that triggered the compressor and it seems to be now running.

However, occasionally...I would hear some groaning from the compressor...and occasionally, it still won't blow cold air...only until after some time...then it would kick in again.

I suspect that you potentially overfilled the r134a...and the pressure build up causes the safety mechanism to shut down the compressor.

Try releasing the pressure slowing while the a/c is on...a bit at a time, until the compressor turns on for a while..then cycles.

the cycling will vary with setting, temperature and humidity. Try the lowest setting first, re-circ. and coldest setting. It SHOULD turn on for a short time, and be off for LONGER than it was on, but the air should still blow cold.

If that still doesn't work.....you'll have to get the system EVACUATED and then filled with the correct amount of r134a.

If it hasn't been serviced (or ever serviced)..it's probably not a bad thing to do this procedure anyway.

if there are no issues, or leaks..the service should run just under $200, at the dealer or elsewhere.

·
Reverse Gear
1,000 Posts
I had a similar situation, however I think I know part of the problem.

I changed the radiator and hoses on my 2003 Accord I-4. Coincidentally, right after, the air con seemed to be not as cold. So I added a bit of r134a to the low pressure side. However, upon adding 'too much', the compressor would not turn on.

So I released some pressure from the low side from the valve. ....that triggered the compressor and it seems to be now running.

However, occasionally...I would hear some groaning from the compressor...and occasionally, it still won't blow cold air...only until after some time...then it would kick in again.

I suspect that you potentially overfilled the r134a...and the pressure build up causes the safety mechanism to shut down the compressor.

Try releasing the pressure slowing while the a/c is on...a bit at a time, until the compressor turns on for a while..then cycles.

the cycling will vary with setting, temperature and humidity. Try the lowest setting first, re-circ. and coldest setting. It SHOULD turn on for a short time, and be off for LONGER than it was on, but the air should still blow cold.

If that still doesn't work.....you'll have to get the system EVACUATED and then filled with the correct amount of r134a.

If it hasn't been serviced (or ever serviced)..it's probably not a bad thing to do this procedure anyway.

if there are no issues, or leaks..the service should run just under $200, at the dealer or elsewhere.
+1

Those of us who have had older cars can't seem to understand that the Gen 7 takes so little freon. It is so easily overcharged, and when it is overcharged, the pressure switches will not let the compressor engage. In older cars, when one would hear the compressor engage and disengage often, it was a sign that the system was low on freon. In the Gen 7 (and newer) cars, it is normal on a day that isn't too hot, for the compressor to constantly turn on for short periods and then off.

Before I knew better, I attributed the on/off switching to the system being low on freon, and added more and got the same situation - the compressor would no longer turn on. I was advised to do a full evacuation and have the exact amount that the system calls for added. Somewhere under the hood, there is a plate that specifies how much freon is required. I would advise the full evacuation and recharge with the precise amount the system calls for. I was told that even a slight freon overcharge will cause the compressor to work harder. This will in-turn cause the compressor to fail prematurely as well as making the A/C less efficient/cold.

·
HK Moderator
14,090 Posts
Excellent advice!

Plus those cheapo little throw away gauges they add to the Freon cans are not accurate. R-134 is sold in 12 ounce cans. The Miata takes 22 ounces total. Many Miata owners were putting two full cans (24 ounces) in there thinking "if some is good, more is better"- that was enough to shut down the Miata's AC system.

OK, I eagerly await when Strath comes back with a successful conclusion to help the next guy....

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Woke up today early to go a mechanic, decided to do one more check. The pressure somehow regulated itself down to 35psi and the AC is about 50 degrees Fahrenheit. I figure "**** it" and am not gonna ask questions. I figure the relief valve went off and that caused the pressure regulation. Curious though it had to sit overnight, last night after the valve went off it was still 100psi+

·
Don't drink and drive
5,162 Posts
I refilled my AC Recently.

I put in too much. The compressor was trying to kick in every 5 seconds or so, like yours does, and it would shut off immediately. I released some freeon back out and now it's running. My gauge was showing one thing, then after running it for a while it showed that it had too much.

Have the car running, turn the ac on the max, open the hood, release pressure little by little until the compressor kicks in and doesn't stop.

·
Reverse Gear
1,000 Posts
Woke up today early to go a mechanic, decided to do one more check. The pressure somehow regulated itself down to 35psi and the AC is about 50 degrees Fahrenheit. I figure "**** it" and am not gonna ask questions. I figure the relief valve went off and that caused the pressure regulation. Curious though it had to sit overnight, last night after the valve went off it was still 100psi+
Since you said you tried it out early in the morning, I don't think you are fully out of the woods yet. If it's only a little overcharged, you will find out that it only doesn't work when you need it the most, when the day is at it's hottest. Check it again when the temp outside is at/near the high for the day. If the A/C is nice and cold at that point, you can declare victory.

If you are still seeing the problem, follow the instructions in the post above by salcuta88, but I would add that it should be done at the hottest time you can find, when the engine is at the normal operating temperature.

·
Reverse Gear
1,000 Posts
Released a bit, it's working for now. Nothing to write home about though.
I will admit that I probably had 2X the recommended amount of freon in my system before the compressor would not stay engaged. I drained off lots of freon and the system still wasn't quite as cold as it should have been even though the compressor was staying engaged. At that point I gave it over to the professionals. Even in my Expensive NJ town, I had the freon fully evacuated and recharged for under $70 (Edit, I even found the receipt, $66.29 July 2, 2014). And now that the system has the correct amount of freon, the A/C has been for the past year and still is freezing cold.

Reactions: jimijam
1 - 14 of 14 Posts