Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
My 2004 Honda Accord is having AC issues. The AC works great in the morning and on normal spring days - Blows freezing cold air. But when it gets hot outside, the AC blows only hot air. Feels like it is trying to kick in when I turn it on, but the car then feels like it is going to stall. I read maybe a thermal protector on the compressor??? Anyone have this issue?

Also does anyone have a service repair manual pdf for this year?

thank you! Crystal

·
Reverse Gear
1,000 Posts
Hi
My 2004 Honda Accord is having AC issues. The AC works great in the morning and on normal spring days - Blows freezing cold air. But when it gets hot outside, the AC blows only hot air. Feels like it is trying to kick in when I turn it on, but the car then feels like it is going to stall. I read maybe a thermal protector on the compressor??? Anyone have this issue?

Also does anyone have a service repair manual pdf for this year?

thank you! Crystal
Sounds like the freon is overcharged. If it works when its cooler outside, that's the first thing I'd check. There is a cutoff that won't allow the compressor to engage if the freon pressure is above a certain threshold. When its hotter, the pressure in the system will be higher. Did you charge the A/C system recently? I'd bleed some freon off and see if it improves. If it does, I would recommend that you get a full evacuation and recharge. Somewhere under your hood it specifies exactly how much freon your car needs. Too much or too little is very hard to measure with a pressure gauge. I think my mechanic charged me like $60-$70 to do this full service in my 7th gen.

Note that even a moderately overcharged system will significantly decrease your gas mileage and eventually blow your compressor entirely.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
First things first, when you turn on the AC are both cooling fans coming on? Is the condenser blocked by debris or insects. Has the cabin filter been changed? Is this an manual or auto controlled system?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi
I just went out and turned on the car. It isn't too hot right now and its in a garage - about 75. The air coming out is super cold. It sounds like both fans are coming on and there is no debris on the compressor. The cabin filter was changed last year. It is a manual controlled ac system. This happened to me last summer too, I just forgot until I was driving home one day from work and it was in the mid 90s. Just checked the Freon and it is in the proper range - a little on the lower end.

Thank You

·
Reverse Gear
1,000 Posts
Hi
I just went out and turned on the car. It isn't too hot right now and its in a garage - about 75. The air coming out is super cold. It sounds like both fans are coming on and there is no debris on the compressor. The cabin filter was changed last year. It is a manual controlled ac system. This happened to me last summer too, I just forgot until I was driving home one day from work and it was in the mid 90s. Just checked the Freon and it is in the proper range - a little on the lower end.

Thank You
The Freon Gauges don't work well on this car. Mine also showed that it was in the proper range when it was overcharged, and that's what caused me to overcharge it in the first place (the gauge showed low, so I charged it). If there is a big difference in engine power/acceleration when the A/C is on vs off, its another sign that the system is overcharged with Freon.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Open the hood and verify both cooling fans come on. To test with gauges you need both high and low readings and the temperature outside to determine if coolant level is correct.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Reactions: CMyers1610

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi
I just wanted to give a huge thank you to everyone that helped me out and Sorry I didn't reply back sooner. I switched to driving the Honda pilot until my husband could fix the AC issue. I think it is fixed.

First thing he attempted was the $5 relay switch that was under the hood. He changed that and it still did the same thing.

Second he tested the low and high pressures of the AC Freon with the gauges he bought and found it was overcharged. (Hmmmm wonder who did that?) He did that the end of last summer when he took my car on a business trip and thought the AC was not cold enough. Anyway, he adjusted the Freon to a normal level based on yesterdays outside temp of a disgusting 95- 98 degrees. We took it out driving for about an hour and parked it in the sun. Came out and drove it some more without any problems.

Think that fixed it - so thank you very much! Switching back to driving my car finally Whew!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts