Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
If the refrigerant is low it will cause the system to not function. Clutch air gap is an important specification but with the low milage you stated (23K) I dont think that is where your problem is. Automotive A/C systems are notorious leakers so the first check would be is find a reliable a/c shop to check the system. I do believe yours uses the R 134A refrigerant so a shop should be easy to find. Some will tell you that they will need to start fresh with a total a/c system evacuation & recharge. That is acceptable as long as the use dye in the refill charge and top off the oil that was recovered. An honest trust worthy shop will do this. At the very least you will have a fully charged system that would probably finish out this cooling season. Even if the charge does not last the dye will be of a great assist in finding the problem. The R134a is harmfull to the ozone so there is another fluid available but car manufacturers did not start using until 2014 I think. And it is very expensive stuff. It is called y1234 or something like that.
This will probably blow your mind like it did mine, but duster can be used as refrigerant as well. A lot of them have HFC134a in them and are most of the time cheaper than r134a. Crazy right?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Perhaps you have an issue with the clutch gap wearing out and resulting in only intermittent engagement?

Is your A/C clutch relay manufactured by Omron or Mitsuba?
I know this has low miles but if we are going to mention clutch gap let's also mention the clutch coil itself. These do burn up, usually when the is older but this can still be a point of failure in this case. If im reading this right, your saying it no longer compresses or provides cold air at all. Not only can low refrigerant cause this, but too much refrigerant can cause this too. Hopefully you haven't been dumping a bunch of refrigerant in to try and solve this issue. If it were me, being mechanically inclined, I would force the clutch coil on at the fuse/relay box by using a jumper wire and verify the clutch coil still works. If your not mechanically inclined, as others have stated bring your car to a reliable shop to have them investigate.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts