Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have the 2013 Touring V6 model, which is usually a very powerful and responsive car. Although, I found one spot in my day to day driving where the char's transmission decides it is a bad idea to downshift and give me that very nice acceleration. This is the spot:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=rich...uRwHKQZucQ3LK70EnYZi0g&cbp=12,254.27,,0,10.74

This is an highway entry branch that is slightly going uphill.

The usual result I get is from 37 mph to 75 mph the car does not change gear even if:

- I press the gaz pedal completely down after exiting the curve
- Remove traction control
- Go in sports mode

Even by doing all that, the acceleration is very low and the RPM is at around 2500 to 3000. A bit higher in sports. By low I mean it takes 10+ seconds for getting from 37 to 75. Where that car does 0-60 in 5.5 seconds usually. I was able once to get the 'proper' acceleration, at this spot, and it took less then 3 seconds to accelerate to the same final speed.

This is my first ever automatic car so maybe I'm doing something wrong. Is pressing the gaz pedal fully down not a good idea in that situation, do I have to do it progressively... really looking onto why I'm getting this.

Any where else I tried flooring the pedal, car downshift, RPM jumps to 5k+ and I'm pushed against my seat no matter what was my current speed. Only this spot cause me pain.

Ideas?

·
Registered
492 Posts
might have to do with shift logic sensing you are on a incline and puts it in a gear to climb a hill?

could be wrong but that is my guess other than that take it to the dealer and have them check sounds a bit weird.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tried in other spot going uphill and it didn't do it either... only this particular spot cause me problems, a bit tricky to explain that to do dealer where if they 'drive test' it at the spot, the next exit is 6 miles away lol

I will ask them to look at it on my next service but I highly doubt they will know what is wrong, my historic with them is not exactly of competence.

·
Registered
884 Posts
might have to do with shift logic sensing you are on a incline and puts it in a gear to climb a hill?

could be wrong but that is my guess other than that take it to the dealer and have them check sounds a bit weird.
If that were the case, it would downshift to climb the hill. Unless the shift logic is mentally challenged...

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
You may be at a speed where the logic will not allow for a downshift because it would only be in the lower gear for a brief second and then a shift may be required. My Trans Am used to have a not so sweet spot where it would not downshift into 2nd and not 1st at about 26mph. Sometimes it was annoying and embarassing at the same time. But, if I shifted it manually it would take 1st to 35mph. It was just the transmission logic protecting the drive line.

For grins make sure your accelerator pedal is not being blocked.

Jay

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You are probably right, since it is really the only spot I found so far where it happens, I'll drive to exit the curve at a lower speed then and then floor it :)

Embarassing... oh yes it is, especially when a WRX STI follows behind and pass you like if you were a freakin Yaris.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update on this:

It seems that the automatic transmission prevents going to high RPM if the engine is not hot enough. I gave it more time to heat up this morning because it was damn cold and the acceleration was just like it was supposed to be.

Sounds like a good feature to me.

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
Update on this:

It seems that the automatic transmission prevents going to high RPM if the engine is not hot enough. I gave it more time to heat up this morning because it was damn cold and the acceleration was just like it was supposed to be.

Sounds like a good feature to me.
Good to hear.

I can't speak for your car but I know on my I4 if I go WOT to redline and the car is not very warm I lose power and the car stops pulling at 5,000rpm because the VTEC shift does not happen.

I did not know this until I pulled out of work at night infront of a truck that did not have its lights on. I had to go WOT or become a statistic. The cat could barely make it to redline. The ECM on autos must be tuned to avoid this from happening.

Jay

·
Registered
492 Posts
Did you have a chance to get it checked by a he dealer?

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No, my service is quite far away (I'm 7800 KM service is at 12 000) and I don't feel like spending more time than I already spent at the dealer for now. I do have a note to check that and the throttle sensor because of the other acceleration hiccup problem I have when stopped at red light with cool engine.

·
No PRND
583 Posts
After I read the title of the thread, you have no idea how bad I was praying you had the CVT.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts