Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening everyone,

So, my 2007 Accord 2.4L 4cyl Automatic is an amazing piece of machine but I'm wondering if what I'm about to describe is normal or a problem?

From a full stop (Red light, stop sign, etc), when I start accelerating it will take almost 2 seconds to shift gears, and this happens before I hit the 20 mph mark. This acceleration or shifting lag also produces a low jerk. Sometimes it will shift faster and other times it will not. I believe it does shift faster if I press harder on the pedal.

Example,

At stop sign --> Accelerate --> shifts gear (~2 second hesitation) --> reaches ~20mph

Is this a 4cyl engine thing?

Also, on a side note, I decided to clean my MAF sensor and noticed that there is a fingerprint (not mine) on the shiny plate. Is this shiny plate important? How can I get the fingerprint off? I already tried spraying with a MAF sensor cleaner but the fingerprint is still evident.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
more info on vehicle and its maintenance history is required.
In the past month or since I bought the car,

- 3x Transmission Drain & Fill (Honda DW-1 and the dipstick shows that it is right on the hot mark, between the two dots)
- MAF Sensor cleaned (while making sure not to touch the delicate parts and cleaned with CRC MAF cleaner)
- Throttle Body cleaned (looked very clean but I still gave a few good squirts with the CRC throttle body cleaner)
- Engine Oil changed
- Engine Air filter changed
- Cabin Air filter changed
- ECU reset (the battery disconnect method)
- Tires balanced and aligned
- 56500 miles

·
2006 sedan Die Right
17 Posts
For what it is worth I have the same car as you, (got it less than a year ago) and I do not experience what you are describing. Something is wrong with your car alright.

·
Bob's your UNCLE ...
2,285 Posts
Is this a 4cyl engine thing?
No ... this sounds more like a tranny gone wild thing ... clutch pack soup, table 4.

Seriously, it appears you've done everything but change the transmission fluid filter itself ? Why was this left alone ? Did you do an idle relearn after you reset the ECU ? It can't hurt to try free things that might help ...

I'd spend the $15 to get a new one, 3x3 drain and refill, WITH filter change.

If the slippage is still there, you may have a bigger problem on your hands regards transmission gremlins.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No ... this sounds more like a tranny gone wild thing ... clutch pack soup, table 4.

Seriously, it appears you've done everything but change the transmission fluid filter itself ? Why was this left alone ? Did you do an idle relearn after you reset the ECU ? It can't hurt to try free things that might help ...

I'd spend the $15 to get a new one, 3x3 drain and refill, WITH filter change.

If the slippage is still there, you may have a bigger problem on your hands regards transmission gremlins.
I'll get another drain/fill done and also get the tranny filter changed. Thinking about getting the 3/8 Magnefine tranny filter, is this what you would recommend? Would a bad tranny filter cause what I'm describing?

My car doesn't clunk or anything, it just takes time to get into gear on the first shift. I've heard Lucas Stop Slip might help too but I'm always skeptical about additives.

·
Bob's your UNCLE ...
2,285 Posts
I can merely speculate mate, as I've never encountered slippage in my 5AT - and don't have any personal experience with the Magnefine filter ... IIRC members that have it installed have been very happy with it.

In any previous 5MT's that have had slippage, it's been from a worn clutch, or poor footwork on my part.

I wouldn't think the Lucas would be such a bad idea ... if it doesn't do anything you could always just do a drain/refill ? I've put Zmax in mine before (not endorsing, just saying I've used it before - just being honest) ...

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
From a full stop (Red light, stop sign, etc), when I start accelerating it will take almost 2 seconds to shift gears, and this happens before I hit the 20 mph mark. This acceleration or shifting lag also produces a low jerk. Sometimes it will shift faster and other times it will not. I believe it does shift faster if I press harder on the pedal..
Except for the jerk, it sounds normal. First gear is there for a reason and it's not unreasonable for the shift to come in 2 seconds. Are you subconsciously modulating with the gas pedal in any way?

- 3x Transmission Drain & Fill (Honda DW-1 and the dipstick shows that it is right on the hot mark, between the two dots
You might be a little low. It should be at the top dot. I keep mine just slightly above it. On my Accord, I see no difference in fluid level when hot or cold. I've heard others says the same. I agree that you should change the filter. It probably has never been changed and has all the metal from new break in, although it does have a bypass valve. How did your drain plug magnet look when you first drained it?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Except for the jerk, it sounds normal. First gear is there for a reason and it's not unreasonable for the shift to come in 2 seconds. Are you subconsciously modulating with the gas pedal in any way?

You might be a little low. It should be at the top dot. I keep mine just slightly above it. On my Accord, I see no difference in fluid level when hot or cold. I've heard others says the same. I agree that you should change the filter. It probably has never been changed and has all the metal from new break in, although it does have a bypass valve. How did your drain plug magnet look when you first drained it?
The jerk is barely noticeable. From a complete stop, I slowly start pushing down onto the gas pedal, then it'll start shifting into the first gear before the 20 mph mark. The shifting to first gear takes about ~2 seconds or less and it'll rev up to 2000 rpm? and then back down to 1500 rpm I believe once the shifting is done. Even at 60 mph, my 07 accord will never reach 3000 rpm.

I've heard it should be in the middle of the two dots. When the car is hot (after 15-20 minute drive), the dipstick will show that the tranny fluid is 2mm or so above the top dot. When the car is cold or slightly warm, the tranny fluid is in between the two dots. On my first drain, the magnetic plug had a little bit of the slushy metal particles on it, which is normal.

I really hope nothing is wrong with my Transmission :( Don't have the money for getting my transmission rebuilt, which I heard is around $3500 -.-

·
mobiless2
2,200 Posts
The jerk is barely noticeable. From a complete stop, I slowly start pushing down onto the gas pedal, then it'll start shifting into the first gear before the 20 mph mark. The shifting to first gear takes about ~2 seconds or less and it'll rev up to 2000 rpm? and then back down to 1500 rpm I believe once the shifting is done. Even at 60 mph, my 07 accord will never reach 3000 rpm.

I've heard it should be in the middle of the two dots. When the car is hot (after 15-20 minute drive), the dipstick will show that the tranny fluid is 2mm or so above the top dot. When the car is cold or slightly warm, the tranny fluid is in between the two dots. On my first drain, the magnetic plug had a little bit of the slushy metal particles on it, which is normal.

I really hope nothing is wrong with my Transmission :( Don't have the money for getting my transmission rebuilt, which I heard is around $3500 -.-
Are you stating that if you floor the accelerator pedal ,it won't Rev past 3000 rpm?

Can you make a video & upload it?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are you stating that if you floor the accelerator pedal ,it won't Rev past 3000 rpm?

Can you make a video & upload it?
No, if I floor it it will go past 3000 rpm. Just stating that it will stay below 3000 rpm if I cruise at 60-65 mph.

Also, I don't think this is a slipping issue. If it was slipping wouldn't it jump to 2000 rpm immediately and then go down to 1500 rpm fast? In my case, it goes up to 2000 rpm slowly and then back down to 1500 rpm during the shift. The whole process to shift into the first gear takes ~2 seconds. Feels like a slight hesitation.

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
Do you mean shifting into second gear? The car starts off already in first gear.

If there was lag between shifts, the RPMs would climb higher than normal, then it would jerk. You're trying to describe latent shifts along with low RPMs. Please have someone else drive the car and see what they think. A mechanic can probably do that for free as an assessment.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Do you mean shifting into second gear? The car starts off already in first gear.

If there was lag between shifts, the RPMs would climb higher than normal, then it would jerk. You're trying to describe latent shifts along with low RPMs. Please have someone else drive the car and see what they think. A mechanic can probably do that for free as an assessment.
Oh yea, second gear :p. Slight hesitation into second gear.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts