Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Drive Accord,

I got into an accident (because of my fault) and it messed up the front bumper, the hood (bent) and made the passenger door very difficult to open. I'm a student with student loan and such so my budget is quite tight. Thus I'm searching for advice on the cheapest way to make the best out of this situation. My questions are:
- How expensive would it be to repair this?
- Can I buy the parts online to make the repair cheaper? If yes, where do you usually buy the parts?

Thank you for reading!

Pictures of the damage Accord 2002 SE 2.3 are attached

Attachments

·
VCM DELETE
855 Posts
There are a ton of those cars in Junkyards. I would check a junkyard 1st. Who cares if paint is mismatched...
I was in my local junkyard a few weeks ago and saw about 5 of those (6th gen Accords)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are a ton of those cars in Junkyards. I would check a junkyard 1st. Who cares if paint is mismatched...
I was in my local junkyard a few weeks ago and saw about 5 of those (6th gen Accords)
Thank you for the reply! I've never been to one. How does it work? You have to take the parts yourself and pay for them? Is there any helper at the site at all because I don't think I have the tool and skill to do that :(

·
VCM DELETE
855 Posts
Some junkyards are a "you pull yourself" others may pull it for you for a fee. Just have to call them before you go and see what they say.
And dont wear sandals (I know that sounds funny) I learned the hard way the 1st time I went and was turned away and had to go home to get shoes.

·
8th Gen Believer
4,035 Posts
Google search for the parts you need. Most large junkyards have their inventory digitized. This will help you find the price range for your parts. Shipping will be too much so get an idea of costs and go back to your local yard or one near you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Some junkyards are a "you pull yourself" others may pull it for you for a fee. Just have to call them before you go and see what they say.
And dont wear sandals (I know that sounds funny) I learned the hard way the 1st time I went and was turned away and had to go home to get shoes.
Google search for the parts you need. Most large junkyards have their inventory digitized. This will help you find the price range for your parts. Shipping will be too much so get an idea of costs and go back to your local yard or one near you.
Thank you guys! Seems that junk yard will be the way to go. I've requested a few online repair estimate from the local body shops. They said that the frame might be bent and the cost of repairing based on the pictures could be around $1,500-2,000 :/

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Get some estimates and see if the frame is bent or not.
Estimates are free. If you are paying cash, not insurance, some shops will work with you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
^^^^ which is probably more than the car is worth.
Sad but true :/

Get some estimates and see if the frame is bent or not.
Estimates are free. If you are paying cash, not insurance, some shops will work with you.
Will do. Thank you for the tip!

The good thing is the car is still driveable and winter hasn't come yet so I still have a bit of time to shop around :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quick update on the situation: I went to some top rated body shops in town and they all told me it wasn't worth to fix because the frame was bent because of the collision. Can't even replace the bumper as the new one won't fit. The hood won't be able to close again if trying to open it

My only choice now is just keep using the car until it breaks down :/

1 - 10 of 10 Posts