Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My better half just got her license three days ago, and was feeling pretty confident about it (till after the mishap).
She took our 2.5 years old son to the doctor (her first time driving alone), and on the way back, while checking the road signs to see which way to go, hit the curb and you can see the result..
Didn't get a chance to take pics at the accident scene, but thankfully she didn't get hit by any other car, or vice versa, because the car slipped and turned towards the direction of incoming traffic due oil from chamber..

From my observation:
- Front right tire burst (I just put in new front tires a day before..)
- Front right rim isn't in too good a shape either
- Front right fog light MIA
- Oil Chamber has a big chunk slewn off it - couldn't take a pic as too sunny out and it appeared dark
- Maybe damage to crank..
- Both sides' doors seem to not be in line with the center (B pillar) anymore
- right engine mount displaced - actually whole engine seems to have been moved up inside hood
- Radiator assembly moved inwards from right side
- There are dents and creaes in the roof (you can see around the sunroof)
- Two of the front airbags deployed
- Body seems to have moved backwards, and the gap between rear light and boot also seems to be more (or maybe it's just me..)

Thank God, she was wearing her seat belt and baby was sitting belted up safely in his baby seat in the center of the back seat. No harm to either of them - medical exam also conducted shortly after to confirm.

Car is now waiting at police headquarters for inspection on Saturday morning, and we'll see what comes of it.

I for one, am not looking forward to driving the car again.. it just won't be the same anymore for me..

Just wanted to rant, and share the sorrow I'm feeling for the car (elation and relief for my family's well being of course)

Attachments

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Some more pics

Attachments

·
Registered
724 Posts
Glad to here the family is alright. But the car seems to be twicked pretty good. Definitly frame damaged.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Quote argus:
“took our 2.5 years old son to the doctor (her first time driving alone), and on the way back, while checking the road signs to see which way to go, hit the curb … There are dents and creaes in the roof … Body seems to have moved backwards, and the gap between rear light and boot also seems to be more”
When body moves that much, impact shock of hitting curb traveled through frame and body panels, it is virtually impossible to repair such damage making car complete again. Just too many components and assemblies have moved from original position. No telling what internal damage exists until body panels are removed. Attachments of sub-assemblies certainly have also some damage.

Quote argus:
“Thank God, she was wearing her seat belt and baby was sitting belted up safely in his baby seat in the center of the back seat. No harm to either of them”
Argus you are blessed that your loved ones were not harmed or suffer from injuries, especially your young son.

Quote argus:
“not looking forward to driving the car again.. it just won't be the same anymore for me”
A car suffering such damage, no matter how or who repairs it, never feels the same ever again, wishing you well, Regards

Richard

·
Honda Nation
1,678 Posts
Glad to see everyone is okay.

As for the car, airbag deployment automatically shoves repair estimate through the roof. And you said a chunk of the oil pan was missing and oil leaked out? If it happened when the engine was running a sudden drop in oil pressure is no good for any engine..... so the engine may be in trouble.

But what certainly puts it over the top is the whole structure is now missaligned. Almost impossible to put back straight. Roof twisted, pannel gaps don't meet..... I would certainly say the car is a complete write-off.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Wow I'm glad everyone is okay...how fast was she going when she hit the curb? Must be pretty decent to pop the tire and make airbags deploy. Thank goodness for Honda's high safety ratings. Well wishes on medical exams.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Another reason why women shouldn't have license's.

All joking aside, glad everyone's okay, especially the young one.
^bas*&^ - haha, j/k
thanks bro

Glad to here the family is alright. But the car seems to be twicked pretty good. Definitly frame damaged.
I know..it's not looking good..

Quote argus:

When body moves that much, impact shock of hitting curb traveled through frame and body panels, it is virtually impossible to repair such damage making car complete again. Just too many components and assemblies have moved from original position. No telling what internal damage exists until body panels are removed. Attachments of sub-assemblies certainly have also some damage.

You sir, are certainly correct, speaking from experience I see!

Quote argus:

Argus you are blessed that your loved ones were not harmed or suffer from injuries, especially your young son.

Indeed sir - blessings these are!! Thanks for your kind words.

Quote argus:

A car suffering such damage, no matter how or who repairs it, never feels the same ever again, wishing you well, Regards

Richard
I am certainly looking forward to tomorrow to see the inspection team going over the car myself.

Updates in the afternoon folks!!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! damn man that bites, glad everyone is ok
Thanks - yeah, big relief they were unhurt - totally sucks for the car..

Glad to see everyone is okay.

As for the car, airbag deployment automatically shoves repair estimate through the roof. And you said a chunk of the oil pan was missing and oil leaked out? If it happened when the engine was running a sudden drop in oil pressure is no good for any engine..... so the engine may be in trouble.

But what certainly puts it over the top is the whole structure is now missaligned. Almost impossible to put back straight. Roof twisted, pannel gaps don't meet..... I would certainly say the car is a complete write-off.
You are right, but I haven't had the chance to check out full extent just yet, as it was through some persuasion that the local police let us see and take pics of the car standing at their closed HQ, but will know tomorrow.

Wow I'm glad everyone is okay...how fast was she going when she hit the curb? Must be pretty decent to pop the tire and make airbags deploy. Thank goodness for Honda's high safety ratings. Well wishes on medical exams.
She was going approx 70 km/h (43.75 miles/hr), but I am inclined (or so I think) to think she may have accelerated instead of braking at the last moment, compounding the effects!

Medical exams ok for both - wife quite depressed since yesterday, and son although shaken, is back to what kids his age normally do - run about, throw things, and escape from eating!

I like how they paint the curbs over there as to say DON'T HIT THE CURB! They need that idea in America.
Apparently it doesn't work in OP's country :dunno:
Haha, sure looks like that, don't it?! ;)

·
NJDR
555 Posts
Another reason why women shouldn't have license's.

All joking aside, glad everyone's okay, especially the young one.

I agree amd also glad everyone is okay.

Another reason why noone has ever or will ever drive my car =b

·
Cell Phone Doc
685 Posts
All that damage from hitting a curb???? :paranoid:

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I agree amd also glad everyone is okay.

Another reason why noone has ever or will ever drive my car =b
Stuff happens man! It wouldn't be right to say no to a family member, especially the wife! ;)

All that damage from hitting a curb???? :paranoid:
They make them curbs strong down here! :thmsup:

·
5th Gear
557 Posts
sorry to hear about the car...glad that everyone is ok!

·
Registered
809 Posts
That should buff right out!!! :dunno:

:thumbsup:

Glad everyone is OK, that car is totaled my friend.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
She must've nailed it pretty hard.... I'm just glad you child and wife are ok. Too bad the Accord isn't - but that is replaceable.

Sorry about the car, man.

Keep us posted on what they'll do with it.
Yeah man, thanks; cars come and go; life is irreplaceable.
Updates tomorrow afternoon.

sorry to hear about the car...glad that everyone is ok!
Thanks bro.

That should buff right out!!! :dunno:

:thumbsup:

Glad everyone is OK, that car is totaled my friend.
:D
That cheered me right up! ;)

Yeah that's nearly everyone's opinion here till now, but not sure how the local PD and the insurance sees it..

·
JaGeR BOMB!
222 Posts
im glad your family ok. sorry about the car too hope u feel better

·
Registered
140 Posts
Glad to hear your family is okay. I've only seen those types of curbs in certain parts of the US and I do not like them one bit for this reason alone - they seem unnecessary to me.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts