Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

101 - 120 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Hello, All! I purchased a 2019 Honda Accord 2.0T / 10AT Sport back in June, and it's been driving great. I have about 3500 miles (60% life, according to MM) and I checked the oil today. The oil on the dipstick smells like gasoline to me, so maybe I'm just paranoid after reading about the 1.5T CRV's, but isn't this a sign of the dreaded oil dilution problem? The dipstick always showed right at the fill line, and I've always been checking, so it doesn't seem like gas is being added on this metric, but I definitely smell gas.

Anyone else experience this? I'm thinking about bringing it in to the dealer, but not sure if it will be a waste of time.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!
Put yourself in the role of the service advisor at the dealership. A guy comes in with no issue other than sniffing his oil dipstick and claiming to smell gas. It might be the final straw that causes the poor guy to change jobs.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Hello, All! I purchased a 2019 Honda Accord 2.0T / 10AT Sport back in June, and it's been driving great. I have about 3500 miles (60% life, according to MM) and I checked the oil today. The oil on the dipstick smells like gasoline to me, so maybe I'm just paranoid after reading about the 1.5T CRV's, but isn't this a sign of the dreaded oil dilution problem? The dipstick always showed right at the fill line, and I've always been checking, so it doesn't seem like gas is being added on this metric, but I definitely smell gas.

Anyone else experience this? I'm thinking about bringing it in to the dealer, but not sure if it will be a waste of time.

You are probably being paranoid.

Even if oil dilution were chronic in the Accord - which AFAIK it isn't - it happens only during extended engine warm up periods. So it only becomes an issue if (A) temperatures at or below freezing,, (B) you make many short trips, and (C) the engine cools down to ambient temperatures in between them. It is only if all of these apply to you, (or two and the others are very applicabl), that it is possible the problem exists. And it is August. ;)

But if you are worried, take the dipstick out of the garage before you smell it. Then have it tested.

·
Registered
112 Posts

Both motor oil and gasoline are hydrocarbons with hundreds of similar and some even identical compounds. You should compare the Accord's oil to some baseline, not just pull it out and smell it.

Also, unless you have a non-standard driving pattern (i.e. very short trips and rarely driving the car for 10 minutes at a time) then there's nothing to worry about.

If you do drive like a narcoleptic jackrabbit, though, then you should follow the "severe conditions" maintenance schedule and consider warming your car up for 5 minutes once per morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts

According the the CRV owners with the issue, the dipstick level will rise over the full line. If the level is not rising, you are ok.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Both motor oil and gasoline are hydrocarbons with hundreds of similar and some even identical compounds. You should compare the Accord's oil to some baseline, not just pull it out and smell it.

Also, unless you have a non-standard driving pattern (i.e. very short trips and rarely driving the car for 10 minutes at a time) then there's nothing to worry about.

If you do drive like a narcoleptic jackrabbit, though, then you should follow the "severe conditions" maintenance schedule and consider warming your car up for 5 minutes once per morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Does the maintenance schedule minder account for severe driving conditions? I'm curious if the type of driving is recorded (heavy throttle, pushing to redline, etc).

·
Registered
112 Posts
Does the maintenance schedule minder account for severe driving conditions? I'm curious if the type of driving is recorded (heavy throttle, pushing to redline, etc).
I just read the manual and some stuff online on the Maintenance Minder system. From the looks of it, Honda takes into account your driving habits, the climate you live, the duration of your drives, etc. to choose when you should have service done. I think the smartest thing to do is to follow the MM system.

Some cars have a "severe duty" maintenance schedule, but it looks like MM takes those circumstances into account already.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
The MM algorithm monitors:
  • Coolant temperature.
  • Air temperature coming in.
  • Intake airflow.
  • Engine speed.
  • Vehicle speed
From which it estimates oil temperature, deterioration factor and thus oil life. Deterioration factor is influenced by cool/short trips, high temperature ops and high speed drives more than other conditions.

So if you push the engine hard the algo will see that in engine speed, intake airflow and coolant temperature and adjust the DF appropriately.

Honda's research shows their algorithm has up to 15% error. Thus the algorithm has a 20% conservative bias built in. (This is very consistent with Edmonds oil analysis done when cars reached 0% and the analysis revealed a 2000 mile life left in the oil. ...).

Caveat as the manual states, if you drive in certain conditions, it is up to you to do earlier maintenance items - the MM will not be aware of them.

Some cars have a "severe duty" maintenance schedule, but it looks like MM takes those circumstances into account already.
It does 'see' if you're driving hard, but it doesn't 'see' your general conditions. This is why some maintenance items are the responsibility of the owner if driven in particular conditions.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Checked my dipstick level today and noticed a heavy fuel smell. Did some research, and read the CRV 1.5L turbo is having this problem. Honda says it has to do with cold starts...

Is anyone else having this issue with their Accord 2.0t? Go smell your dipsticks right meow!

My Accord has 4400 miles on it and is about due for its first oil change.

MODERATOR EDIT:
CR-V 1.5T Engine Issue (fuel in oil). Will 10th gen 1.5T Accord be affected too?

https://www.driveaccord.net/forums/241-10th-generation/515666-cr-v-1-5t-engine-issue-fuel-oil-will-10th-gen-1-5t-accord-affected-too.html
I have 1300 miles on my 2019 LX accord 1.5T -- I just smelled the dipstick and smell a gasoline odor, fairly strong. Nice work, Honda! There shouldn't be gas in the oil. I'm not gonna worry about it. Maybe I'll trade it in right before the warranty expires anyway.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
I wish someone would get an oil test and see what the real dilution percentage is and stop posting "my oil smells like gasoline". This is is just useless speculation.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
846 Posts
I wish someone would get an oil test and see what the real dilution percentage is and stop posting "my oil smells like gasoline". This is is just useless speculation.

But smelling is so scientific!

Reactions: RickBlaine

·
Registered
58 Posts
How ecactly is it speculation to say I smell gasoline on the end of the dipstick? I know what gasoline smells like, and I know what oil smells like. Whatever the case I'm not worried about it. I'm merely reporting on these forums that I smell gasoline. I mentioned it to a service rep at the local Honda dealership and he said it's normal for this engine. But I wanted to document it, just in case.

·
Registered
14,412 Posts
How ecactly is it speculation to say I smell gasoline on the end of the dipstick? I know what gasoline smells like, and I know what oil smells like. Whatever the case I'm not worried about it. I'm merely reporting on these forums that I smell gasoline. I mentioned it to a service rep at the local Honda dealership and he said it's normal for this engine. But I wanted to document it, just in case.
I don't believe a word you write, because you are pretty much a troll....find another forum, please.

Here are your previous greatest troll hits!

I'm smarter than the manufacturer. Because they put cheap stock transmission fluid in my 14 stick. Swapped it out for Syncromesh, and smoothed it right out.

As to the manual, it's way too long. Nobody reads it. Should be a 20 page pamphlet with bullet points.

Always follow the manual, huh? The manual will tell you to take your car to the dealer, so they can rip you off blind on needless inspections and fluid changes. Screw the manual. But the manual does have a few important things in it and obviously it doesn't take all taxpayer-subsidized corn gas.
And this gem from Nov 26, 2017:
Question on my 2014 Accord 2.4 liter LX Stick-er-roo with 67,000 miles on it: I just pulled out my owner's manual for the first time today, since I bought the car new. Haven't been to a dealer since I bought it, except for that battery sensor recall.

I just looked in my owners manual and I don't see a maintenance schedule. Must have thrown it away, haha. I'm not a big fan of dealers.
Except that you have an even earlier thread stating that you went to the dealer about your door. You even praised the dealer.

And this load of crap:
My 2014 LX 6 manual hesitates during acceleration too sometimes.

The throttle delay and hesitation just kill the feel. Why even make a stick if you don't design it with feel? What's the point? I'll never love this Accord, and when I sell it eventually, I won't get another Honda. The D.I. engine is harsh sounding. It rides rough over bumps.
But then you traded it for a 2019...

You are not here to "merely report(ing) on these forums that I smell gasoline." You are just starting nonsense.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I don't believe a word you write, because you are pretty much a troll....find another forum, please.

Here are your previous greatest troll hits!

And this gem from Nov 26, 2017:

Except that you have an even earlier thread stating that you went to the dealer about your door. You even praised the dealer.

And this load of crap:

But then you traded it for a 2019...

You are not here to "merely report(ing) on these forums that I smell gasoline." You are just starting nonsense.
Wong. I'm merely reporting what I smell. What's nonsense about that? The internet is good and bad. Bad in the sense that it's too much info sometimes. I see on these forums a post about oil dilution on some of the CRV's. It's the same engine as my new car, so I go and smell the dipstick and smell gas. I call the dealer service and he says it's normal to get some gas in the oil with the way Honda designed the engine. Whatever the case is, it's probably better not to know anything, because I got distracted for awhile thinking about it, got insulted on the forums (Happy Saturday!).

I've used these forums to get info and I've appreciated it. So I have some unique views. You're reading me completely wrong and you don't know me. Anyone of those past posts I've made, they all make sense - I just didn't expresss myself thoroughly enough. I both liked and disliked my stick, so what's the problem? I drove it for 5 years and experienced many many things about it, good and bad.

The manual SHOULD be a 20-page panflit with bulllet points and it's actually becoming that, as the car will tell you every thing you need to know on the dash eventually. What's nonsense about that?

Dealers have been known in the past for doing unneeded maintenance and charging way too much IMO for repairs. I'm sure they are better today. But I've always done a lot of the routine maintenance on cars myself. But dealers are good for some stuff I think and dealers are different things to different people, at different times. Things change.

If you want to debate any of the "troll" posts I've made let's do it, one at a time. I'll explain myself completely and give you the context around it. But that's a waste of time. Much easier for you to say "find another forum, please."

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
The manual SHOULD be a 20-page panflit with bulllet points and it's actually becoming that, as the car will tell you every thing you need to know on the dash eventually. What's nonsense about that?
Honda already provides a summary brochure ("Owner's Guide") -- essentially a FAQ for the car. It's still 95 pages, because there's a lot to know, and they have to say it in a way that helps avoid lawsuits from morons. You're asking for something that already exists, although it won't get down to 20 pages unless you buy a bicycle.

·
Registered
377 Posts
"2018 Accord 2.0t Oil Dilution?" is really "2018 Accord 2.0t Oil Delusion"

And what's a "panflit"?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a similar problem. I recently got the oil change done by the Honda dealer. On the same day, I left the car in my garage overnight and checked the oil level the following morning before I started the car. It read very slightly above the full level, how it should be after an oil change. I drove the car for few days. The temperature ranges from 70 to 100 degrees and my commute is about 15 mile one way in suburb roads with few stop signs and traffic lights. It takes me about 30min of driving one way. After I came home, I parked the car in my garage overnight just like I did after the oil change and read the oil level the following morning before I started the car. It read right below the tip of the orange plastic. This is about 1/4 inch above the full indicator. It is definitely higher than the day after the oil change. Since nothing was added to my oil tank, I have to suspect the gas getting into the oil. Of course I smell strong gas odor.

I also smell gas through my ac vent when the car is started. Also, I smell faint gas through the window while driving. I can easily smell gas around the front of the car while it is parked and engine turned off. I brought up this to the dealer and they said they cannot smell any gas.

In another occasion, I went inside the dealer’s shop and I smelled very strong gas odor. I thought that someone must have spill gallons of gas at that time. But now I suspect it might be coming from the oil changes.

If anyone has any solution, I would like to hear from you.

This is 2019 1.5t.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
At that rate the engine should fill up with gasoline in a couple of months? Previous to this oil change did you notice the same behavior?

·
Registered
3 Posts
The oil level was slightly higher than the tip of orange plastic when I read it right before the last oil change. I drove about 4000 before the oil change and the commute is the same

I just did another reading since the last one was few days ago. It’s at the same level. I suspect there might be some evaporation of gas and it might be helping with the oil level. This is just my guess. That might be the reason why I smell gas in and around the car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've heard some Honda's have this problem. Is the 2019 Accord Sport 2.0T in a risk of getting the problem?

Or is it just a Civic and CR-V problem?

101 - 120 of 178 Posts