Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

121 - 140 of 178 Posts

·
HK Moderator
13,418 Posts

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Some day someone will get an oil analysis. My daughter owns a 2019 Honda Civic EX with the 1.5 turbo engine. If by the time it needs it's next oil change (probably not till January or February) and no one has gotten an oil analysis I will have the oil I take out tested. It should be interesting.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I've heard some Honda's have this problem. Is the 2019 Accord Sport 2.0T in a risk of getting the problem?
With cooler weather now upon us we'll have the opportunity to check.

Weather here (Montreal) has cooled a lot in the last week or so, and I've noticed the mileage drop on my daily drive. There is a point along the highway about 8km from my house by which consumption would typically be about 6 L/100km in the summer. Now it is about 7 L/100 km. In the summer I could arrive at work with the mileage down to 4 L/100 km. Now I'm seeing 5.1.

This indicates the car is initially running rich for a longer period after starting. So the possibility of gasoline in the oil is also increased. (In my case it's the 1.5L). (There is also cold air=more wind resistance, but the huge change above is mostly running rich longer).

Last late winter before committing to buying the Accord I 'sniffed' my accountant's dipstick (!) and I could not detect gasoline. Her drive to work is really not ideal and would be a perfect case for gasoline dilution.

I'll be throwing a block heater at the car in November or December.

·
Registered
24 Posts
FYI - my 2.0 Sport had 4,600 miles and the dipstick stinks heavily of gas since day 1. Wonder if this is normal on GDI.

·
HK Moderator
13,418 Posts
FYI - my 2.0 Sport had 4,600 miles and the dipstick stinks heavily of gas since day 1. Wonder if this is normal on GDI.
You posted here before- did you not read any replies nor thank anyone for their advice?

It was suggested that you get an oil analysis done (post #100).

Nothing has changed since a month ago. Please read the thread.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Last late winter before committing to buying the Accord I 'sniffed' my accountant's dipstick (!)
Now we're sniffing other people's dipsticks? Frankly, I thought all this dipstick sniffing was a little offensive but this is over the top.

Thanks to you people I now have an uncontrollable urge to go out and sniff my own dipstick. I just don't feel confident that I will be able to discern whether I'm smelling gasoline or crankcase fumes. I've resisted so far but I know the next time I whip out the dipstick I'm going to have to sniff it.

What I do to avoid this type of thing is keep the RPMs up (1500-2500) for the first few minutes of driving to warm the car as quickly as possible. With remote start though letting the car idle in the driveway will be hard not to do.

Edit: Just went out and sniffed my dipstick....it smells like Italian sausage!!....looks like a trip to the dealer for me to see what their ASE certified dipstick sniffer has to say.

5 Posts
(REMOVED BY MODERATOR DUE TO TROLLING, MEMBER BANNED)

Due to this reason, I would strongly recommend (REMOVED BY MODERATOR DUE TO LIES), such as (REMOVED BY MODERATOR DUE TO LIES) because (REMOVED BY MODERATOR DUE TO LIES) weight (provided that the oil supply possesses a correct level of additives to fight fuel dilution) will help (REMOVED BY MODERATOR DUE TO LIES) between the piston ring and cylinder wall. I've spoken to a mechanic in regards to the fuel dilution issues with the 1.5 and 2.0T Honda engines, and he said (REMOVED BY MODERATOR DUE TO LIES) So the first step would be (REMOVED BY MODERATOR DUE TO LIES)

·
Registered
268 Posts
So the first step would be to use a high quality 5W-Stupid oil such as Motul or Redline.
Using oil not recommended by the manufacturer is a one way ticket to a voided warranty and possibly worse.

Obviously that's not the guaranteed outcome but it's also not not guaranteed. I would think long and hard before deciding I'm smarter than Honda's engineers.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
So I need to use a $40 a gallon oil? $25 a gallon Mobil one OK or Penzoil ultra platinum? Seems to be an expensive way to go. Again, some one show me an oil report on a 2.0 or 1.5 Accord with excessive fuel dilution above 2%.

Warranty claims with a different viscosity or API service class than the manufacturer recommends with an oil related failure may not end well for you.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
268 Posts
5 Posts
I know what CAFE is, but thanks. I also know what my manual says. You know, the one written by the people who designed and built every oil passage in my engine.

Since you're in a reading mood: https://www.driveaccord.net/threads/2-4-engine-failure-5-oil-changes-in-13k-miles-40-weight-oil-long-vs-short-block.533917/#post-6606951

You wanna believe it's a coincidence? You do you. I'll choose to believe that the earth is round and that Honda wants my engine to go more than 13 thousand miles.
Mobil 1 is highly rated.

·
HK Moderator
13,418 Posts

Due to this reason, I would strongly recommend (REMOVED BY MODERATOR DUE TO LIES), such as (REMOVED BY MODERATOR DUE TO LIES) because (REMOVED BY MODERATOR DUE TO LIES) weight (provided that the oil supply possesses a correct level of additives to fight fuel dilution) will help (REMOVED BY MODERATOR DUE TO LIES) between the piston ring and cylinder wall. I've spoken to a mechanic in regards to the fuel dilution issues with the 1.5 and 2.0T Honda engines, and he said (REMOVED BY MODERATOR DUE TO LIES) So the first step would be (REMOVED BY MODERATOR DUE TO LIES)
The mechanic you spoke to is an idiot. Please don't reiterate what you were told- and post that nonsense, without applying some sort of critical thinking.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Of course they don't mandate standards, they just choose how they want to get there. If you have some documentation that Honda in other countries is recommending different oil for this exact engine, please share it here.

If you call Honda of any country and they tell you to throw Mrs Butterworth in there, by all means. Otherwise, and this is my advice to anyone reading this forum, I'm going to stick with the recommendation the manufacture has already communicated to me via my Owners Manual.

·
HK Moderator
13,418 Posts
Bad piston rings = fuel seeps past the rings into your oil supply. What am I missing here?
You are missing an oil analysis- from a reputable company, showing that this is a problem. Internal combustion engines are nasty places to be in. Every oil analysis will show fuel in the oil. Some more, some less.

To date, there is not a single Accord engine failure due to oil dilution. I read of a couple failures because of 40 weight oil being used, as well as low oil- but no failures due to fuel in the oil.

·
Registered
268 Posts
The old, "I am smarter than the engineers at X car manufacturer" argument coupled with the "I spoke to a mechanic" argument. Classic.
Why do I even BOTHER? I'll tell you...

If this jabroni wants to come in here and tell us how he intends to destroy his car, fantastic. Pop me some corn and let's hear it.

But when you fabricate knowledge and make suggestions based on pure speculation, someone who is less knowledgeable may take it at face value. That's what I have a problem with.

121 - 140 of 178 Posts