Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

141 - 160 of 178 Posts

·
Runnin' in the 90s
5,798 Posts
-joins a forum just to reply to a thread that hasn't been updated in 2 months
-posts the reply as a new thread in the wrong board, moderator has to correct this
-gives the terrible "advice" of using 40 weight oil to solve this problem that isn't even a real problem
-when chastised, replies with "look it up"/"I spoke to a mechanic"
lmaoooo

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Due to this reason, I would strongly recommend the use of thicker oils, such as 5wSTUPID
I would strongly recommend you keep your stupidity to yourself and not spread these very bad pieces of advice.

Indeed, I herewith request the moderators delete the post by HondaMoisturization ASAP as to prevent anyone from following this ignorant idiot's advice.

[edit: typo]

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello all. New here. Loving my 2.0 Sport!

So based on recommendations here I have installed a catch can on mine.

My car only has 1,500 miles, and today when checking the dipstick it reeked of gasoline also like many above.

For comparison I checked my wife's Hyundai which is also GDI and no smell of gas. Her suv has 21,000 miles.

I guess eventually I will get an oil analysis done.

Anyone know if the kit by NAPA is good?

5 Posts
Wow.... just wow. You guys are seriously beyond (REMOVED BY MODERATOR DUE TO LANGUAGE)

You do know that Honda (REMOVED BY MODERATOR DUE TO LIES) and advised that anywhere from (REMOVED BY MODERATOR DUE TO LIES) is totally (REMOVED BY MODERATOR DUE TO LIES) else in the world, right? Sooo so so sooo (REMOVED BY MODERATOR DUE TO LANGUAGE) you guys all need to give yourselves a good (REMOVED BY MODERATOR DUE TO LANGUAGE) in the face for being utterly (REMOVED BY MODERATOR DUE TO LANGUAGE)

·
Super Moderator
13,213 Posts
^Lately, we get a lot of trolls signing up and posting lies, or framing the lie as a "Mechanic dude said....". This thread is littered with "new members" who post 1-5 times all saying the Accord engines have a problem and will blow up.

I think most are just Toyota salesman trying to persuade a Camry/Accord shopper to choose the Camry, or just clowns like hondamoisture who are mal-adjusted and micro-peniled.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Hello all. New here. Loving my 2.0 Sport!

So based on recommendations here I have installed a catch can on mine.

My car only has 1,500 miles, and today when checking the dipstick it reeked of gasoline also like many above.

For comparison I checked my wife's Hyundai which is also GDI and no smell of gas. Her suv has 21,000 miles.
I smelled my dipstick again last night and can't say it had a gasoline smell. But most of my drives are 20 - 30 km so the engine gets to op temp for a good while. Gasoline in the oil would have a good chance to flash into the PCV line.

Installed the catch can last night. Installing a block heater next week (at a garage). Weather is getting cool early this year so having the engine hotter sooner should help reduce gas in the oil and improve mileage too.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Has anyone determined that these issues are caused due to it being a DI design? I went the Hybrid route because I wanted great MPG, and also because the 2.0L in the Hybrid is port injected, not direct. I have a Mazda CX-5 that’s a DI design, have had it for 5 years, 45K miles and no issues.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
@S2sailorlis 45K miles is not enough for it to cause issues. Per a mechanic I know, 180,000 km before a DI BMW (example) needs the intake valves cleaned. This is not the gasoline in the oil issue, but it is related.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
^Indeed. I'm not so interested in the dilution issue as I am in valve cleaning issue. I doubt there are many (or even any) 10g Accord's that have gone enough miles for the intake valves to be fouled - least of all amongst members of this forum. This will come up eventually. If there are wear issues due to diluted oil, that too may take time to come out.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Does the Accord use a different 1.5T DI engine than the Civic and CR-V? Honda is adding a year to the powertrain warranty for about 1 million 2016-18 Civics and 2017-18 CR-Vs with the 1.5T engine due to oil dilution problems.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
@Bobcat00 : I believe that as the issues cropped up on the Civic and CR-V that Honda addressed them for the Accord's.

·
Registered
88 Posts
8 pages of argument about a problem that hasn't occurred on a single 10g accord, because it might maybe someday if it does.
Lol....so true....that's the problem with a forum for brand new cars. You have to invent things to post about. I finally sniffed my dipstick the other day and did detect a slight whiff of gas. Doesn't seem out of the ordinary for my short drive in cold weather commute. Wanted to take a sniff after I did a long drive to see if it went away but forgot.

Not a lot to talk about with the 10th gen being so new. Plus it's winter. It's a bit of a concern though with GDI being such a new thing and GDI turbos being a very new thing. I trust that Honda knows what their doing...hopefully....knock wood

·
Registered
17 Posts
Since I have a 2019 Accord hybrid I’m not concerned about dirty valves or oil dilution because the 2.0 Atkinson in the Hybrid is not DI, I’m exploring the relationship between DI design and possible issues.

Hence, my comment is about the correlation, or lack thereof, between DI engines and oil dilution/dirty valves. The only DI engine amongst my 4 cars is a Mazda CX-5. On the Mazda boards oil dilution or dirty valves hasn’t really come up as a systemic issue given their Skyactive DI engines have been out since 2012. My other 2 Hondas are a 2004 Ody and 2009 Accord and have been running flawlessly.

·
Super Moderator
13,213 Posts
This thread is about oil dilution, not oil life or when to change the oil. So I am moving these posts to the "When should I change my oil thread?" If you posted here in the last few days and are talking about "40%" on your maintenance minder, your posts are now here:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Oh man all somebody has to do is mention maintenance minder and all heck breaks loose.

The first half of the post that started it was on point for this thread. It was also the first post from somebody who has actually sent an oil sample to be tested.

Sorry to reply late since I have posting updates on another Honda accord site, anyways, yes I experienced the same gas smell from the dip stick and oil filler cap, oil level was high as well, just drained the oil for the first time and I had over 6 quarts in there which should be about 5 quarts max, just sent a sample to Blackstone labs and waiting for their findings.
Hopefully @Arm Sport 2.0 T will post the findings here. I try to stay out of as many oil threads as I can.

141 - 160 of 178 Posts