Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know how to reset the 10 Speed Transmission shift points (Transmission memory) for the Accord 2.0T?
Tried doing a battery/ECU reset, however that did NOT reset the Transmission shifts. Can this be done only by software flashing at a dealership - or is there any other way?

Basically having issues with my transmission upshifting too early and thereby engine lugging/pre-ignition. Thanks in advance.

· Registered
2,878 Posts
Anyone know how to reset the 10 Speed Transmission shift points (Transmission memory) for the Accord 2.0T?
Tried doing a battery/ECU reset, however that did NOT reset the Transmission shifts. Can this be done only by software flashing at a dealership - or is there any other way?

Basically having issues with my transmission upshifting too early and thereby engine lugging/pre-ignition. Thanks in advance.
Did you replace something recently? I'm not sure exactly how this is done, just curious if we even need to do this, or if we do, under what situation would we need to look into this. Yeah, I'd get it done at the dealership for something like this if nothing else works.

Reactions: imjimmy

· Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you replace something recently? I'm not sure exactly how this is done, just curious if we even need to do this, or if we do, under what situation would we need to look into this. Yeah, I'd get it done at the dealership for something like this if nothing else works.
Thanks for the response. Appreciate it.
So I have a 2018 2.0T EX-L. I had my transmission replaced last year because of jerkiness. However problems since then.
The big issue right now is that the transmission seems to upshift very rapidly into a higher gear. In fact at around 45-55 city driving it drops below 1500 rpm (usually around 1200-1300 rpm). Even at lower gears I really have to give a lot of throttle to get the transmission over 2k RPM. Usually it settles into the 8th/9th gear without ever going over 2k rpm.
So there is often a situation of Low speed Pre-ignition/detonation. In which if you need to give half or more throttle, the engine knocks a lot until it gets to 2500 rpm since it's usually in a higher gear at low revs. (Situation in which you're cruising in the city and see a yellow light, try to accelerate and make it through OR while climbing an incline).

I actually went to a dealership and drove a 2020 Touring 2.0T (CPO) for an extended time. And that car shifted very differently from my car. It didn't upshift so quickly and the engine seemed much more peppier and faster.
Hence, I'm wondering if it would be useful to reset the transmission and have it relearn, by driving more aggressively. Thanks.

· Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did the TCU/Throttle reset procedure, and while it doesn't reflash the transmission or anything, it does seem to improve the throttle response and the car seemingly shifts better.
Put the car in START mode (press start button twice without the break pedal).
Depress the gas pedal fully and hold it for 10-15 seconds until the Check engine light goes off. Start the car normally after that.

· Registered
169 Posts
i think you are experiencing some type of error or defect with your transmission. you said you got it replaced, but did they fill it up with right amount of fluids, did they mess up something else while swapping the transmission, etc. this is not a case of transmission logic imo. you should never have to really floor it just to get rpms up to 2k and there definitely should not be any knocking. the issue could even be with the engine and not the transmission at all. there was a recall for malfunctioning fuel pumps, did you check to see if you need this recall or if its been done? i think you really just need to go to the dealer. something isnt right mechanically.

· Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i think you are experiencing some type of error or defect with your transmission. you said you got it replaced, but did they fill it up with right amount of fluids, did they mess up something else while swapping the transmission, etc. this is not a case of transmission logic imo. you should never have to really floor it just to get rpms up to 2k and there definitely should not be any knocking. the issue could even be with the engine and not the transmission at all. there was a recall for malfunctioning fuel pumps, did you check to see if you need this recall or if its been done? i think you really just need to go to the dealer. something isnt right mechanically.
Thanks for the reply. Makes sense. The problems only started happening after the transmission replacement. The car itself drives much slower - almost like a 1.5T not a 2.0T.
The problem with the dealer is that they refuse to do anything unless the check engine light is on and the car throws a code. I paid the $155 diagnostic fee, and all they told me was that there is no issue. The service advisor claims that "knocking" on heavy throttle is "normal" because engine is playing catchup with the throttle.

As for the recalls, I checked my car at the NHTSA website and the VIN doesn't show up anything. Could there still be recalls?

· Registered
169 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Makes sense. The problems only started happening after the transmission replacement. The car itself drives much slower - almost like a 1.5T not a 2.0T.
The problem with the dealer is that they refuse to do anything unless the check engine light is on and the car throws a code. I paid the $155 diagnostic fee, and all they told me was that there is no issue. The service advisor claims that "knocking" on heavy throttle is "normal" because engine is playing catchup with the throttle.

As for the recalls, I checked my car at the NHTSA website and the VIN doesn't show up anything. Could there still be recalls?
Hmm no it would show up if there was a recall for it. You need to find a new dealership or ask for the manager, that dumbass advisor is straight up lying to you. knocking noise is never normal in an engine wtf.

· 8th Gen Believer
5,740 Posts
If the car is out of warranty, stop going to dealers for service. I sold Mercedes and Volvo for several years and got an inside lesson on dealer tricks of the trade. The service department is not a profit center, rather it is responsible for paying the fixed overhead of the dealership. Service managers are graded on percent of absorption. Now with the shortage of new car inventory, service departments will do ANYTHING to rake in money. Get out of that racket and find an independent shop with Honda experience.

Reactions: MSMV1 and Honda2014

· Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If the car is out of warranty, stop going to dealers for service. I sold Mercedes and Volvo for several years and got an inside lesson on dealer tricks of the trade. The service department is not a profit center, rather it is responsible for paying the fixed overhead of the dealership. Service managers are graded on percent of absorption. Now with the shortage of new car inventory, service departments will do ANYTHING to rake in money. Get out of that racket and find an independent shop with Honda experience.
Thanks for the reply. The car is actually out of the full warranty, but is still within the powertrain warranty.
I'll try to find out a reputed Honda workshop as well. One independent mechanic told me that not a lot of places do work on the 2.0T turbo engine.

I'm pretty sure something was messed up in the transmission replacement. Before that the car used to drive great and never had any knocking. In hindsight I should have never let them replace the transmission.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts