Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
lst night i experienced worst thing to me when i was slowing down the vehicle, all at a sudden there was flash, like all electrical power goes down and came up, after that steering wheel was locked with engine,oil and battery alarm !

i switched off the car and start it again everything become normal, no alarm no steering wheel lock !

same thing happens to me again this morning :(

m afraid of this now :( it can screw up any time :(

in both failures, 1 things is common i was slowing down the vehicle !!!

plzzz guyss share your experiences ......

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,057 Posts
Loose battery cable?

Alternator going bad? (When you slow down, engine downshifts, low RPM, voltage from alternator drops).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for response

i guess battery connections are fine,
there is something related to internal electric machanism (which u say is alternator)
my friend strange thing is that even steering wheel was locked i just cant even do anything !!!

it jst screwed me up :(

do you know how can i verify alternator ?

any simple test to pin point the issue ?

·
RIP my Acorn
566 Posts
Hi All,
can anyone tell me the price of alternator for 08 accord sedan 2.4 ?
New from dealer is $452.98.
Remanufactured from dealer is $339.68.
These are parts-only prices, not including tax or installation.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
4,057 Posts
Autozone can supposedly check your charging system f or free.

·
Accordial
36 Posts
I priced one from an auto parts store at $458.00 brand new
Always best to go OEM and if CM6's prices are correct, seems that OEM is slightly cheaper in this case

·
Banned
13,101 Posts
EDIT: Are you in the USA?

Go to Autozone, or Pep Boys, or Advanced Auto. For free, they will test your battery (volts, load capability, and stress) and they will test your alternator. Takes 10 minutes.

Barring any corrosion on your battery cables or corrosion on the connections, if your alternator is shot, know that the alternator for the 2.4 is EVERYWHERE. If money is tight, you can pick up a used one (with warranty) for under $150, and sometimes as little as $80. Replacing it is easy- will take you all of 45 minutes if it is the first one you are doing.

But before you send emails at 4am, drive to the nearest parts store and find out if the alternator is the problem. You can search here or youtube for the replacement procedure.

One last thing: Your main engine fuse....you have a fuse box under the dash (inside your car near your foot) as well as a fuse box in the engine compartment. When fuses blow- the car either works or it does not. But if the connection is loose- then it can cause this. Were you doing anything in the engine bay recently and maybe knocked the fuse box or a wire?

My bet, in order:
1) Bad battery
2) Corroded battery terminals and/or corrosion on the positive/negative battery cables
3) Bad alternator
4) Bad fuse

Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi all,
thanks for your response :)

today morning i had same issue, this time luckily it was complete black out so i bother myself to open the hood and find out corroded battery terminal, which i believe was loose as well, after i hammer it everything become fine,
in the evening i changed battery terminal, and the problem dint came yet again....

once car is switched on is there any role of battery ?

i switched on the car and then replace the terminal, my car was alive for some time after that it sleeps :(

is it a sign of weak alternator? or just a normal thing ? do battery plays any role apart from start up?

·
4,057 Posts
I'm fairly certain you can't run the car without the battery. The alternator charges the battery, and the battery always is powering the car.

·
Registered
630 Posts

This should help you get started. My sister's Altima stalled on her on the road. Would you believe that the dealer didn't tighten the battery cables correctly and was causing this issue after a ECU recall?

·
Registered
128 Posts
See responses in blue

today morning i had same issue, this time luckily it was complete black out so i bother myself to open the hood and find out corroded battery terminal, which i believe was loose as well, after i hammer it everything become fine,
in the evening i changed battery terminal, and the problem dint came yet again.... I'd watch your terminal for more corrosion in the future, my understanding is that there is a crack in the case around the battery terminal which releases acid vapor which then corrodes your terminal. If you grease your connection with di-electric grease, this should help with the problem

once car is switched on is there any role of battery ? It "filters" your alternator output - smooths voltage and takes any large current draws - like your compressor starting up.

By the way, your steering wheel shouldn't have "locked" the first time, you probably just lost your power steering. If it actually locked - I would think there was a problem with your steering wheel

1 - 16 of 16 Posts