Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My last manual car only had 5 gears. On the the 9th gen Accord Coupe V6 Manual, when do you guys use the 6th gear?

The simple answer would be, when you hear the engine wanting it but I'm just trying to get an idea.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Highway cruising at 75 or whatever.

·
More Right Rudder...!!
16 Posts
Hate to be that guy but you really hit it on the head with your "simple" answer.

Everybody drives different, and it just depends on what type of driving you're doing. I have an 8th gen but it's relatively similar I imagine. If I'm cruising around just getting from A to B I can keep it under 2k-2.5k all day, which basically means anywhere over 40 or so 6th will do fine. If I'm having fun though, I'll rarely see 4th.

·
Registered
134 Posts
6th gear is the topmost overdrive gear. The concept of its usage is no different from 5th, 6th, or 7ths topmost gear in other cars. Upshift into it whenever the car is already moving at the necessary speed and you just need to cruise. This keeps the engine revs low and saves the gas. The speed must be high enough to keep the revs at say 1500RPM or above as you don't want to start stalling the engine. If the speed is to low for the 6th gear, then say in 5ths or lower.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Be cautious of shifting too early. I find my best MPG is between 2 and 3K. If you putt around town in 4th or 5th you need to hold it to the wood to go anywhere and the live MPG gauge runs lower.

·
Registered
62 Posts
when you are doing 120+(kmph) or 75(mph) on the highway cruising only then id say...

·
Registered
916 Posts
I am in 6th pretty much anytime I am over 40 mph. Exceptions are going up steep hills or when I want to accelerate quickly.

That is with the I4.

Keep in mind that 6th gear is just about the same as 5th gear was in the prev gen Accord. I wish they had kept 5th the same and made 6th taller still instead.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Wow. I can putt around town at 40mph in 6th gear. You don't have to wait until you are cruising on the highway to use 6th.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I am in 6th pretty much anytime I am over 40 mph. Exceptions are going up steep hills or when I want to accelerate quickly.

That is with the I4.

Keep in mind that 6th gear is just about the same as 5th gear was in the prev gen Accord. I wish they had kept 5th the same and made 6th taller still instead.
I know. I hardly ever use 5th :/

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts

That is with the I4.

You beat me to it. 40+ mph works fine on the I4.

Jay

·
Registered
184 Posts
if you really can't determine this yourself, use the green Econ bars on your speedo. if they are white, it's time to shift.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
2013 Accord V6 6MT Coupe
18 Posts
Like most say its a cruising gear and mpg saver...I use it on highway and flat roads when going 40+ mph other than that use those lower gears i bought the V6 manual for a reason to have fun.

·
Registered
209 Posts
watch the econ bars and try to keep em green. if your in 5 and they start fading to white shift to 6 (putt eet in H)

·
Registered
296 Posts
I don't know you can be going 40 and slip it into 6th... Any gas pedal movement does nothing, even in 5th at 40... 6th gear at 65-70 hardly does anything without flooring it. I'm in 4th at 40 and get 30 mpg putting around, and will actually accelerate with some pedal movement..

·
Registered
317 Posts
30 to 40 = 4th, 40 to 50= 5th, 50 to 60 = 6th in general.. not strict by any means

·
Honda Nation
1,678 Posts
I have the 8th gen coupe with a 6 speed, and I will drive around town at 40 mph in 6th. Particularly if I know I don't need to accelerate anywhere. I can get about 430 miles out of a tank of gas if I'm not hard on the accelerator, and I believe it's partly because I use 6th so much.

4th keeps the engine RPMs way too high for 40 mph putzing around town when you don't need any power. Waste of gas and wear on the engine. You should use at least 5th but go ahead and use 6th.

Also, I have no problem downshifting when I do need to accelerate - that's why I bought a stick to begin with. So in an instance I'm cruising around and I need to hit it, I'll downshift to 3rd or 4th if I need to.

But when you're on the freeway you should definitely run it in 6th. Any constant speed over 40, you can use 6th.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I have the 8th gen coupe with a 6 speed, and I will drive around town at 40 mph in 6th. Particularly if I know I don't need to accelerate anywhere. I can get about 430 miles out of a tank of gas if I'm not hard on the accelerator, and I believe it's partly because I use 6th so much.

4th keeps the engine RPMs way too high for 40 mph putzing around town when you don't need any power. Waste of gas and wear on the engine. You should use at least 5th but go ahead and use 6th.

Also, I have no problem downshifting when I do need to accelerate - that's why I bought a stick to begin with. So in an instance I'm cruising around and I need to hit it, I'll downshift to 3rd or 4th if I need to.

But when you're on the freeway you should definitely run it in 6th. Any constant speed over 40, you can use 6th.
40 in 4th doesnt waste gas or put extra wear on engine... I get 30-35mpg in 4th unless I press the pedal more than an inch. To each their own, i just dont get it :p

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
535 Posts
I typically only use sixth if I'm consistently going to be going over 45 or 50 mph. It's a good compromise to use a lower (5th) gear so that I can simply relax the gas pedal and slow down without having to immediately downshift because someone in front of me has decided to drive at inconsistent speeds. That being said, once the car is warmed up, I can and have been in sixth at speeds as low as 40. I get pretty nervous about stalling when I start to go lower. Even in sixth though, the car will still accelerate when required. I have the 4cyl.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts