Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am interested in the accord coupe.
My mother drives a 2013 ex-l and it's a great car except it is a little boring to drive.
My question is if the sport coupe or the v6 coupe MT is any more engaging to drive than the 4 sedan.
I don't need a performance car, but would like something slightly more exciting than the 4 sedan.
The only other car i'm considering is the Subaru Legacy because i've heard the awd handling is better than the accords fwd handling, but awd isn't necessary for the roads i'd be driving on.
Would love to hear the input of this forum
Thank you :thmsup:

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
I own the coupe because I think it's more exciting to drive than the sedan. I think you sit lower in the coupe, it's a couple of inches shorter than the sedan and it just looks sporty. I have the CVT automatic and I have had no problems with this car. If you get the coupe, you also get the paddle shifters which make the car more sporting to drive. It's my personal car and I only use a back seat occasionally I consider it more of a 2+2 instead of a two door sedan :thmsup:

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
that was the response I was hoping to hear!

any opinions on opting for a manual transmission or a v6?
That's the question that sparks lots of discussion on this forum. There are members who are 100% stick shift lovers and then there are the rest of us who like our automatics. Obviously, a manual transmission evokes sporty in the classical sense. However, the newest high performance sports cars have abandoned the manual gear shift lever and have gone to paddle shift cars without clutch pedals. A few that come to my mind include Porsche, Ferrari, McLaren, Lamborghini and others. The stick shift purists here will tell you that the paddle shift on those cars are not the same as the CVT on the Accord and they are correct. However, the Accord paddle shifters gives you the same driving experience without paying the $379,000 for the Lamborghini AVENTADOR LP 700-4.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah I currently have paddle shifters and they're a lot of fun. I haven't owned a manual car yet but herd hondas gearboxes a great for someone new to manual driving. But in NJ traffic, the paddle shifters may be a better bet, now the only question is if I should get the 6

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
yeah I currently have paddle shifters and they're a lot of fun. I haven't owned a manual car yet but herd hondas gearboxes a great for someone new to manual driving. But in NJ traffic, the paddle shifters may be a better bet, now the only question is if I should get the 6
My opinion is that the I4 has plenty of power and gets great gas mileage. The V6 is an older designed engine which has had a very good repair record. If you get the V6 with the manual transmission you don't get the cylinder deactivation function which gives the automatic V6 excellent highway milage. The V6 is port injection vs direct injection on the I4, single overhead cams vs dual overhead cams, the V6 has a timing belt while all of Honda's new engines have timing chains which don't require replacement every 8 years or 105,000 miles. I think the handling on the I4 is sportier because the weight is better distributed because the I4 weights less. Unless you just like lots of extra power and torque the I4 delivers a great ride at a much lower price.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks,

the price is hard to justify. I wish Honda offered a v-6 without the high trim level. I'll test drive both but your car seems like a good one. Looking forward to comparing the ride with the sedan :D

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Definitely upgrade the rear sway bar. One of the best mods. Then the Magnaflows ;)

Have you considered the BRZ/FRS or Genesis Coupe?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Definitely upgrade the rear sway bar. One of the best mods. Then the Magnaflows ;)

I want to keep it stock for resale but I'll look it to that, if it makes a significant difference in driving.

Those cars would be super fun but i'm sure if RWD would suffice for the winters here, or if they would be as handy for a camping trip or mountain biking.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts

This is the last year for the current generation of the Genesis Coupe and I think it's not very attractive. The BRZ has the Subaru flat four engine that has not been that reliable. In my opinion the I4 Accord Coupe is the best buy around. If you get the EX or higher trim level you get lots of great technology in a fun car.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
I want to keep it stock for resale but I'll look it to that, if it makes a significant difference in driving.

Those cars would be super fun but i'm sure if RWD would suffice for the winters here, or if they would be as handy for a camping trip or mountain biking.
Definitely do the sway bar upgrade to the 09+ TL-SHAWD 20mm bar or 22mm progressive. You can do it yourself. Won't hurt the resale.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
This is the last year for the current generation of the Genesis Coupe and I think it's not very attractive. The BRZ has the Subaru flat four engine that has not been that reliable. In my opinion the I4 Accord Coupe is the best buy around. If you get the EX or higher trim level you get lots of great technology in a fun car.
The engine power from the Genesis coupe is very attractive. I'm curious what the coupe redesigned will look like and how much power.

Definitely at least ex or above for coupe. The Gentex mirror upgrade is only available on the ex. For now?

OP, I also have the stock exhaust if you plan to keep the car stock but want to do dual exhaust upgrade.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Definitely do the sway bar upgrade to the 09+ TL-SHAWD 20mm bar or 22mm progressive. You can do it yourself. Won't hurt the resale.
There are lots of people on this forum who do all kind of mods to their cars. I personally am not a DIY kind of person and I don't think most of the ones that are not offered by Honda will make that much difference in the handling. I'm not even sure that the Honda handling package makes that much difference. I think the car has great handling as it comes from the factory. The ride is not soft and mushy like an old Buick, but rather stiff without being harsh. If the in Honda's opinion the mod you put on the car affects a part that fails in the future Honda may not warrantee the failed part affected by the modification. I think the car handles great just as it comes from the factory.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
how expensive is it?
The TL bar with new bushings is about $75 shipped but this bar rubs against the sub frame very little though . The progressive is about $180 I think no rubbing.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
There are lots of people on this forum who do all kind of mods to their cars. I personally am not a DIY kind of person and I don't think most of the ones that are not offered by Honda will make that much difference in the handling. If the in Honda's opinion the mod you put on the car affects a part that fails in the future Honda may not warrantee the part affected by the modification. I think the car handles great just as it comes from the factory.
The sway bar upgrade, you can feel a big difference IMO. I doubt the sway bar will damage other components. I think Honda put a smaller sway bar so that the driver will feel more sway while cornering, which will make the driver slow down or go slower when cornering. I know I would be going slower at some corners right now if I didn't do the upgrade

The intake and exhaust, you don't feel a difference. You definitely will hear sound difference.

·
HA-420
709 Posts
If you got bored with your mom's i4 sedan then you will likely get bored with the i4 coupe. The Sport with MT might be a step up in fun factor, though.

If you can get a 6-6 that's basically as fun as you can get out of an Accord.

Sent from my HTC One

·
Registered
3 Posts
NJ,
If you're looking for something that's more engaging, get the V6 w/6mt. I've had mine (EX-L w/navi) for 6 months now and it's a hoot to drive (that's right....I said hoot). I had a Supra back in the 80's, and my Accord is a close second (or better).
So do yourself a favor and test drive one.....trust me, you won't be sorry.

·
Registered
481 Posts
don't let anyone fool you... The V6 is an awesome engine and has been on Wards Top 10 Engines list past 2 years. Its a blast to drive in either the manual or automatic with paddle shifters. To me the I-4 engine is ok, but not if you want or are used to more power & torque. Drive both and decide for yourself; good luck

·
Registered
277 Posts
The 6-6 is a great and fun car. It's almost as fun as my turbo rx7 was. I drive an hour to work and love every minute of it. Sometimes I just jump in turn the nav on, crank up the stereo and drive for a few hours. If fun is what you want get the 6mt. The paddles aren't the same. Go drive both. It wont take long to figure it out. You drive a 6mt. You steer a auto.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts