Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The most disappointing part of my 2014 Accord EX-L was the stereo, but there are many tricks I have discovered on this forum and wanted to post them in one thread for other EX-L owners. My complaints are lack of low end. I like music with some bass but I when I would turn up the SUB to get that bass the sub sounded like it was going to blow....or was it?

1. If the car is new give it a few days\weeks. Many will disagree but I swear mine just needed a little breaking in.

2. DSP Setting - http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=158330&highlight=Improve+stereo
Steps:
Press Nav + Menu + Back 3 seconds
The 2 screens will display debug menus you should not have access normally
Press return on the touch screen one (you don't need it)
Press Menu for 3 seconds
You will be in the developer menu
Scroll down to DSP/AMP settings
Scroll to 'Flat' set it to 'On'
Enjoy!

3. Decrease the SUB volume significantly so it doesn't sound like you are able to blow the sub. The speakers on the EX-L aren't so bad...the sub ruins it. After turning down the sub you can crank up the bass.

4. This supersedes number 3. I discovered that the rattle was not the sub reaching its limits but the rear deck rattling. I read another thread on here that I can't find at the moment but it was a YouTube video with a guy and a civic and he opened the trunk and shoved padding between the rear deck and the metal frame. So I took a old 12in by 12in towel and cut it into a few 1 inch strips. I got a screw driver to help me shove it in place. If you open the trunk and look though the holes you will see the rear deck. Just shove padding in between. Not sure what it is about the "Pitbull - Feel This Moment ft. Christina Aguilera" song but that would make that sub sound like crap if cranked up. Find that song that make it sound horrible and try it. Then shove something between the two and test again. I have since cranked my sub from -3 to +3 and it sounds solid now. While its far from a aftermarket stereo you'll be amazed what this will do.

I found the youtube video…
for a visual.

·
Registered
228 Posts
nice!!! what are your sound setting

·
Registered
14 Posts
Any idea how to get to that menu if you don't have a nav button? I have an ex-l coupe but didn't need the nav and I'd like to see if I have access to the same menu you nav bubbas have.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Any idea how to get to that menu if you don't have a nav button? I have an ex-l coupe but didn't need the nav and I'd like to see if I have access to the same menu you nav bubbas have.
Click on the link in OP's original post. That is the original thread on that and has the steps for other models too.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Do you think spraying the foam into this area would work or would it cause more problems (Weight etc)?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Nice work! I've been suffering from excess rear deck rattle ever since I changed my DSP setting. I've been planning on removing the rear deck, but the process looks rather involved. I'll see if I can put some padding up through the trunk this weekend.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do you think spraying the foam into this area would work or would it cause more problems (Weight etc)?
I considered that but the foam but it can be very messy and sometimes expand too much. Take an old towel and 5 min of time and see what a difference it makes

Nice work! I've been suffering from excess rear deck rattle ever since I changed my DSP setting. I've been planning on removing the rear deck, but the process looks rather involved. I'll see if I can put some padding up through the trunk this weekend.
I was the same way. I was going to buy a roll of dynamat and make a weekend out of it. Then stumbled on that video and figured it was worth a shot. Not only was the fix free it took all of 5 min. The problem was I only thought about it when I was in the car so it took me about a month before I actually did it. Greatest mod ever!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Completed the steps provided in this thread and my hats off to the improvement in sound quality. What I personally noticed right away was a clean separation of the bass, I guess it would be better stated that the bass sounds tighter and not as muffled. The higher frequencies sound clear and more enjoyable listening experience. Well worth the time to experiment with just a change in a menu can provide, thanks to all who made this discovery.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The most disappointing part of my 2014 Accord EX-L was the stereo, but there are many tricks I have discovered on this forum and wanted to post them in one thread for other EX-L owners. My complaints are lack of low end. I like music with some bass but I when I would turn up the SUB to get that bass the sub sounded like it was going to blow....or was it?

1. If the car is new give it a few days\weeks. Many will disagree but I swear mine just needed a little breaking in.

2. DSP Setting - http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=158330&highlight=Improve+stereo
Steps:
Press Nav + Menu + Back 3 seconds
The 2 screens will display debug menus you should not have access normally
Press return on the touch screen one (you don't need it)
Press Menu for 3 seconds
You will be in the developer menu
Scroll down to DSP/AMP settings
Scroll to 'Flat' set it to 'On'
Enjoy!

3. Decrease the SUB volume significantly so it doesn't sound like you are able to blow the sub. The speakers on the EX-L aren't so bad...the sub ruins it. After turning down the sub you can crank up the bass.

4. This supersedes number 3. I discovered that the rattle was not the sub reaching its limits but the rear deck rattling. I read another thread on here that I can't find at the moment but it was a YouTube video with a guy and a civic and he opened the trunk and shoved padding between the rear deck and the metal frame. So I took a old 12in by 12in towel and cut it into a few 1 inch strips. I got a screw driver to help me shove it in place. If you open the trunk and look though the holes you will see the rear deck. Just shove padding in between. Not sure what it is about the "Pitbull - Feel This Moment ft. Christina Aguilera" song but that would make that sub sound like crap if cranked up. Find that song that make it sound horrible and try it. Then shove something between the two and test again. I have since cranked my sub from -3 to +3 and it sounds solid now. While its far from a aftermarket stereo you'll be amazed what this will do.

I found the youtube video…http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRnMRfLCr1o for a visual.
Thanks for a good post. I totally agree. My 2014 Touring is now a month old. The stereo just started sounding better in this last week. The bass is richer, and overall sound is better.

I did the DSP setting, but it reverts back when I restart the car. Some have said that the setting should still keep the 'Flat/On' despite what the screen reads, but I'm not sure this is the case. Any other 2014 owners have similar experiences?

Also, I did notice that SOURCE has a big affect on sound quality. My other cars sound pretty darn good with XM going, but in the new Accord, there's a world of difference if I play a CD, or stream Pandora, etc. I don't know why this is or if there's something that can be done to improve the XM sound quality?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
I did the "Flat on" tonight and it is a huge improvement to a shitty audio system that is now adequate. You can tell when on bluetooth, the volume required is about 10 points lower. Old volume 22, new volume 12-14 with nice output. Going to tweak settings tomorrow.

·
CITIUS::INFERIUS::FORTIUS
1,369 Posts
Big thanks to the OP for the step by step instructions, settings, and video link. Deck rattle is no more! I ended up cutting up an old t-shirt into strips instead of towel. Cleans up the sound so much with my stock sub. Just a few battle wounds from trying to shove the strips in, but all worth it.

:jumping:

·
Registered
456 Posts
Did anyone notice any improvement on FM quality? I didnt really notice the difference. didnt have a chance to try cd or aux yet.

·
Registered
227 Posts
hmm phase two looks to be my next DIY mini project.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Big thanks to the OP for the step by step instructions, settings, and video link. Deck rattle is no more! I ended up cutting up an old t-shirt into strips instead of towel. Cleans up the sound so much with my stock sub. Just a few battle wounds from trying to shove the strips in, but all worth it.

:jumping:
Glad it worked! I just bumped my SUB up to +3 and sounds awesome at lower volumes...still great at louder volumes but big difference in lower.

Use a screw driver to shove the towel\t-shirt up in there. Its very sharp but as you discovered well worth it!

·
Registered
158 Posts
This seems great and I am going to try it. But I like everything to sound good in the car without blowing my ear drum. So Interesting enough 14-16 sound volume is great in my coupe.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I changed my DSP setting yesterday and I'm amazed at the difference. Audio actually sounds nice & punchy. I just tried again while playing High Hopes from Bruce via USB flash drive. After playing w/different settings I settled on sub at +2; Bass +4 & Treble +2. World of difference!! thanks everyone

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
I'll add again, I LOVE this find. It feels like I have a new car. The difference is literally night and day. I now rate the stereo as very good. Opening up the bass and overal response is huge. Playing songs at a lower volume and better output with a crispness that was heretofore (I love using that word) unknown in this car is a great find.

Inasmuch (I like that one too) as was an Accord stereo hater, I no longer have any legitimate criticisims of the stereo.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I changed my DSP setting yesterday and I'm amazed at the difference. Audio actually sounds nice & punchy. I just tried again while playing High Hopes from Bruce via USB flash drive. After playing w/different settings I settled on sub at +2; Bass +4 & Treble +2. World of difference!! thanks everyone
@Tom... I have a 2014 as well (I think you do). My DSP settings don't 'stick.' When I restart the car, the settings revert back to the 'off.'

Do you have this, or did you do something to get around this issue?

Thanks..

1 - 20 of 29 Posts