Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
THE ROAD TO SAIKYO
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you ever had a sedan vehicle before? If so how was the switch from a Sedan to a coupe? Other than styling, do you regret getting the coupe version?

·
Yes, I'm a girl.
1,649 Posts
I had a 2003 Mazda 6S (much smaller than the current sedans) prior to my first Accord coupe.

You do sacrifice easier access to the rear seat.... so getting things (or people) into or out of the rear requires someone getting out and flipping the seat forward. Small stuff that can go over and between the seats is fine, but let's say I've got 6 bags of groceries and a passenger... with the sedan, I'd just open the rear door and load it up... with the coupe, I'm using the trunk for that situation.

Also... the doors are slightly longer. I make more of an effort to have room to open the doors on either side of me when parking. If you have elderly family or someone that's not very limber, they're going to have a harder time getting into the back.

Neither of these are deal breakers for me. I'm usually riding solo in which case anything I need to put in the car goes on the passenger side... or I have one passenger in which case. large items go in the trunk. I'm always careful where I park, so no real difference there... but in tight areas getting someone out of the back it does take a little bit of extra care to make sure your door doesn't touch the next car.

All said... no, I don't regret my 2 coupes at all 99% of the time. On the rare occasion we have more than 2 people taking a road trip, 4 doors would be nice... but I'm not willing to sacrifice my preferred styling all the time for those few rare times a 4 door might be a little more convenient.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Never owned a sedan, don't know why I would...

·
Registered
2 Posts
You are in luck, I had a 2013 Accord coupe v6 with AT. I now have a 2015 Accord sedan v6 AT (auto trans both). I lost my coupe due to a total loss accident. I could ramble on for pages about the difference between the cars for pages. Odd you might think, but yeah very different experience between the two cars in many ways. The most relevant diff was that the coupe seems to have a more of a bucket seat position. This felt like it translated into a lower driving position in which it was more difficult to see the front of the car and to have awareness of where the car was proportionally. I could never get the seat and steering wheel positioned in a comfortable position and not have the top of the steering wheel also cover up the speedo.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Currently we have both a sedan and the coupe.

they are different in Feel, and function.

I primarily drive the coupe and miss the 4 doors (for gym bags and what not).

the Coupe is sportier, tighter and more power (V6 vs. i4)...so duh.

I think the sedan is more comfortable, the coupe more sporty drive (tighter suspension, etc).

so...I am glad I have both and the coupe is nice, but if I had to have only one, I would prolly lean towards the sedan for practical purposes and real life FAMILY living.

·
Superbikes do it better
512 Posts
I went from a 4-door Subaru legacy to my 9th gen Accord coupe. I honestly haven't regretted the transition to 2 doors....not once. It's actually a refreshing change. I don't transport back seat passengers, and I've found that what previously went in the back seat can just as well be tossed into the trunk organizer instead.

·
'15 6-6
565 Posts
Have you ever had a sedan vehicle before? If so how was the switch from a Sedan to a coupe? Other than styling, do you regret getting the coupe version?
I had a Civic Si Sedan before, now have a coupe 6-6. I don't regret the coupe. The back seats are as large as my Civic Sedan, just a bit tougher to get into (but not tough relative to other coupes). Trunk space is also the same.

My only frustration is the the front passenger seat loses the fore/aft position when you slide it forward to enter/exit the rear seat.

·
Registered
69 Posts
My only frustration is the the front passenger seat loses the fore/aft position when you slide it forward to enter/exit the rear seat.[/QUOTE]

TRUE THAT !

·
Banned
125 Posts
I had 3 coupes after driving a 4 door accord unfortunately I just sold my 2013 elx today :( for an rdx awd. Deff going to be an adjustment but with a dog and a baby it was necessary. Get a coupe and enjoy it for as long as you can. It's a wonderful car with plenty of room for grocery shopping and larger items.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I currently drive a '13 EX-L i4/CVT Coupe. I wouldn't say I regret getting the coupe, but it will probably be my first and last, so long as I can have only one car. I have a hard time getting cargo in and out. My road bike just barely fits in the trunk due to the narrow opening at the rear seat and really only fits in one position. Being an active person and a homeowner, I battle with the utility shortcomings of the coupe on a daily basis. I mostly drive alone and rarely have more than one passenger, but my last three cars were sedans and I really miss being able to open the rear door and throw boxes and things back there. I do love the styling of the coupe and would definitely miss it for that reason.

I'm actively researching a more practical vehicle that I won't hate to drive. I don't know if the 2016 Accord sedan would be enough extra space and utility, or if I'd be better served with something like a Mazda CX-5 or CR-V. I'm not ready to get rid of the coupe just yet, but I will probably move to something more practical before too long.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
I loved my 2000 Acvord V6 Coupe and gave it to my teenage son to drive so I replaced it with my 13 EX L I4 Coupe. Yes, it's not practice but it's basically my work vehicle. My son got into a wreck in the 2000 Accord and the insurance company totaled the car. My son is driving my wife's 07 Fit and I bought her a 2015 CR V. That's the car we take when we need four doors.

·
2015 Accord EXL V6 Coupe
79 Posts
I purchased the coupe (6AT) solely for the days I drive into the office. It's got a great balance of comfort, performance, and economy.

Our family has a few other cars, with an MDX performing the family hauler role. My boys like riding the coupe, but like the MDX better as it's roomier for back seat passengers + it's got a movie player.

We're on MDX # 3 currently, with an '08 Acura TL Type S as our last sedan. This was purchased before our oldest was born....

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
One thing remember about one of the 2 door land yachts I owned back in 70s or 80s was that the doors were so heavy on it that the hinges got worn after X years and the doors were awkward to close because the latches no longer lined up properly. Probably wouldn't be a problem on today's lighter 2 door models.

·
2.5th gear
306 Posts
i own a 2014 sport Sedan and pretty happy with it. 6mt. I could not live with a coupe. Looks so odd from the side since the Door doesnt go up to the rear wheels like sedan back doors does.( i just like how a 4 door looks ) and the rear end is so much uglier on the Coupe. Sedan rear end is sexy.

·
NH Coupe
26 Posts
I had an 08 EXL Accord sedan before getting my current 13 EXL 6-6 Coupe.

No regrets. Big factor for us is our kids are grown and we only very occasionally have back seat passengers. (Good thing since my wife drives a Civic coupe!)

The limited access to the back seat is an occasional irritation, but I knew that going in. I compensate for the reduced space in two ways: I use a hitch mount bike rack for my frequent trips to the trailheads and a small utility trailer for everything else that won't fit! Since I usually don't have backseat passengers more than 6 times a year my Coupe gets the job done. By the way, rear passengers have said it's comfortable back there, but the view out is pretty restricted and climbing in is a nuisance.

If you frequently haul passengers or constantly load stuff into the backseat, there is no substitute for a sedan. It depends on your lifestyle.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 17 of 17 Posts