Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about buying an accord for my daughter, either the 2001/02 G6 or 2003 G7 I4 versions.

Whilst G6 is cheaper to buy there is the issue of the timing belt and being slightly older I expect a G6 would need other parts soon (my son and I can do the work).

So its seems to me that the total cost of ownership between the two versions may not be that great.

Any opinions? Thanks.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I have owned two G6's. One for 11 years and the other for 1 year. Both were pretty much bulletproof. Just take care of routine maintenance and you will be fine. I currently have a 7th gen that I have been driving for over a year. Same thing. All I've had to do at 148k miles is regular oil changes and I've changed the timing belt. I guess the point I'm making is you really can't go too wrong with either of these outstanding generations of cars. IMO, the only things to consider is which body your daughter likes better. Also, which one has more miles. If the mileage is significantly different between the two choices and they're both in good condition, maybe the one with the lower mileage should be the one you go with. Sorry not to give you anything definitive but, as I said, you really can't go wrong with either as long as they've been well kept.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
The i4 Gen 7 uses a timing chain, it would come down to personal preference and miles/condition of both.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I've had 5th, 6th, and 7th gen accords for a few years each, so I feel that I can give a pretty good assessment of this.

As for 6th vs 7th gen, I had a 2000 SE I4 and currently drive a 03 EX-L I4. They drive pretty similarly, but the 7th gen feels a bit more firm overall and handles better. The 6th gen doesn't get as good MPG because it's a 4-speed vs. a 5 speed on the 7th gens. I'd say the MPG difference on the highway is probably 4-5 mpg in favor of the 7th gen.

Interior: it's probably not quite a fair comparison because I'm comparing my current EX-L to the 2000 SE (which was below the LX), but the 7th gen interior seems nicer than the 6th gen. There are some useful convenience features on the 7th gen which are not in the 6th gen, like bottle-holders in the doors for stashing a few water bottles. On the downside, Honda used more hard plastics in the interior of the 7th gen compared to the 6th gen (where just about every surface felt like it was slightly padded).

Safety-wise, the 7th gen had side airbags (on the EX and V6 models), if that's important to you.

The 5th and 6th gen I4s used timing belts which required replacement (along with the water pump) at about 100k miles, which cost $500-1000 depending on where you got the work done. The 7th gen has a timing chain, so maintenance costs are potentially lower.

As far as overall reliability, the 5th gen I had was in the family for 12 years and was still quite reliable when it was sold at 200K miles. The 6th gen SE was the most problematic and had transmission issues which required a transmission replacement. The 7th gen I'm driving now is at 120K without any major issues (had an issue with warped rotors that needed to be replaced, but besides that, pretty much just routine maintenance).

Overall, I'd recommend the 7th gen if you have a choice.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
6th gen I4s used timing belts which required replacement (along with the water pump) at about 100k miles, which cost $500-1000 depending on where you got the work done. The 7th gen has a timing chain, so maintenance costs are potentially lower..
That's exactly what I'm thinking...the extra safety and MPG have sold me on a G7.

Thanks all.

·
2020 CBP Touring
694 Posts
That's exactly what I'm thinking...the extra safety and MPG have sold me on a G7.

Thanks all.
Check out the FAQ.. It'll tell you exactly which '03's and 04's have the side and curtain air bags.

·
Super Moderator
7,853 Posts
Given same mechanical condition between a 7th Gen and 6th Gen Accord, I would definitely get the 7th Gen, newer technology in every aspect of the car, there is no reason to go back 1 generation unless you are hung up on the styling of a 6th Gen.

FWIW, I've had an 1984 CRX since new for 6.5 years, 1990 Integra GS since new for 6.5 years, 1996 Integra GSR for 10 years when sold in 2007, now the 2005 Accord for 6.5 years since buying it at 1.5 years old, I have to say the 7th Gen 2005 Accord has been the most reliable and well built car of them all.

FWIW #2, one of my neighbor across the street still has a 6th Gen Accord Coupe ever since we both moved in about 10 years ago, still drives it often, I don't know if he's ever had issues but obviously nothing bad enough for him to get rid of the car.

Still, my choice would still be a 7th Gen Accord any day.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Check maintenance records. It all comes down to the condition of the cars and how well they were taken care of. If all things are equal in that respect, I'd go with G7 unless the G6 has recently had a timing belt change, which is an unavoidable major expense.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
The g7 wont need a timing belt replacement since it's a i4 so that wouldn't make my choice of a G7 any harder.

·
Fear The Turtle!
1,883 Posts
Get some granmna driven early 7th gen, change the fluids and let your daughter enjoy terrorizing the roads in her safe, reliable vehicle...

·
khol
106 Posts
Both are great options. My dad had a 2002 EX-L V6 for about 10 years that he put over 250,000 miles on in that time it was only in the shop for a total of one week when something went wrong on the AC. When he got rid of it the engine was still mechanically sound but it started having some electrical problems with the door locks and windows. Overall it was a great car.

I have a 2007 SE 4-I with 98,000 miles. It has had no problems. The engine is great and it handles very well. It also looks nicer than the 6th gen which might make your daughter a bit happier.

Be sure to look at the crash test ratings too the 7th gen got higher than the 6th gen.

·
subtract 261000 miles to get engine mileage
14,608 Posts
let's consider all the factors at play here:

6th gen:
- older design
- older tech
- older engine
- unreliable transmission (autos; MTs were fine)
- less safe (less air bags, lesser crash test ratings, etc)
- timing belt with both v6 and I4
- some 4 cylinders known to burn oil. my old 99 went through quart of oil about 500-1200 miles during ownership
- problems with head gaskets. this is what ultimately killed my 6th gen 18 months after selling car to friend.

now then, i'm not saying that you won't have problems with an 03 (new generation). but, they will be different. the ATs in those cars can be troublesome as well, particularly with the v6.

·
Just got my 11 EX sedan!
182 Posts
i say gen 8, but thats not 1 of the options. i say gen 7. i have one at the moment. possibly not tomorrow. upgrading to a 08. hence my reply of gen 8. any how im way impressed with it. 34 mpg, quick, nice looking, but a bit small for a 6'4" 380lbs driver.

·
subtract 261000 miles to get engine mileage
14,608 Posts
i say gen 8, but thats not 1 of the options. i say gen 7. i have one at the moment. possibly not tomorrow. upgrading to a 08. hence my reply of gen 8. any how im way impressed with it. 34 mpg, quick, nice looking, but a bit small for a 6'4" 380lbs driver.
wouldn't most cars, or most vehicles even, be small for someone of your build? :dunno:

·
Just got my 11 EX sedan!
182 Posts
sure are, but i wont drive a pick up, suv, mini van, crossovers, or such. at least not till they start to get better mpg. not to mention they are a hazard in parking lots. they are too tall to look threw the windows to see if a car is coming. should be a law that they cant park in the last 3 spaces on the end of all rows. i work at the airport in the parking lots, and am talking from experience. better yet they should be in seperat parking lots. even in a truck i still cant tell if something is coming without having the full front end out in the cross road.

where did that come from? LOL

1 - 16 of 16 Posts