Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went and test drove and Accord Hybrid EX-L this afternoon. Below is my review. Since the Accord Hybrid competes more directly against the Fusion Hybrid, I made that the focus of my comparison. I make a few references to the Prius, but since I consider the FFH to be a vastly superior car to the Prius, there isn't much point in comparing the HAH to our Prius. The test drive has reaffirmed my certainty that the FFH is the best mass-market sedan available.

The Accord Hybrid EX-L is a very nice car. But it is not as nice as the FFH.

Fuel Economy

When the salesman pulled the HAH around he had the heat cranked up so it sat and idled for a few minutes. Before leaving, I shut it off and reset all the trip meters and fuel consumption displays. The HAH does not provide as much fuel economy info as the FFH and this is a major strike against it for me. I drove a mixed city highway route with 35-40 MPH speed limit streets and 55 MPH speed limit freeway for a total of 15.0 miles round trip. The round trip took slightly more than 30 minutes. The outside temp was about 14F. When I left the dealer with the HAH the coolant wasn't warm enough for the ICE to shut off when the HVAC was on, but it was warm enough for the ICE to shut off without the HVAC being on. Just as I do in the FFH, I watched to make sure that the HVAC wasn't causing the ICE to run extra and I hardly used the HVAC for the first 2-3 miles. Once the coolant warmed up enough I left the HVAC set to Auto at 66F. After returning to the dealer and chatting with the (fairly knowledgeable) salesman about hybrids and the Accord in general, I took the FFH on the exact same route to compare fuel economy, acceleration, etc on the same roads. I even had almost the exact same sequence of red lights. I tried to drive the two cars as identically as possible. The FFH left the dealer with a useable SOC of 33% according to the ScanGauge and ended the drive with a useable SOC of 31%. The HAH began the drive with 5 bars on its battery display and ended with 4 bars. The fuel economy results are below.

The FFH did about 3 MPG better in the same drive. This is negligible to me and it appears that the HAH would get about the same MPG as the FFH. At least at 14F with limited heat and a slightly warm ICE to start they are pretty close.

Hybrid Powertrain

The HAH ICE is much louder than the FFH ICE with the new resonance chamber. It is about the same level of noise and the FFH ICE without the resonance chamber. It drives very similarly to the FFH except for its clutch to connect the ICE to the wheels on the freeway. The FFH can connect the ICE to the wheels without a clutch. Generally speaking the car begins to accelerate in EV mode and then the ICE comes on. The ICE seems to rev more slowly than the FFH ICE, but it quickly reaches a loud roar. Once you reach your cruising speed and ease up on the pedal the HAH quickly drops into EV mode and will cruise in EV just like the FFH at city speeds. The HAH provides minimal feedback about the hybrid system. There is a small display in the center of the speedometer which can display the ICE, the HVB and the wheels and show if the ICE is on or off. The display never seemed to show any power going from the ICE to charge the battery, the lines always indicated that power was leaving the battery. I know that this is not correct because I watched the HVB charge bars increase while accelerating using the ICE.

Highway Cruising

When cruising on the highway the HAH engaged the clutch to connect the ICE directly to the wheels. When accelerating onto the freeway it was using both ICE & HVB power. The transition when the clutch engages is a noticeable lurch in your momentum. The HAH will go into EV mode at highway speeds of 60+ MPH. When the ICE first starts after EV at highway speeds the clutch doesn't stay engaged and must re-engage after the ICE starts, resulting in another lurch when it engages. There is no noticeable lurch when the ICE shuts off at freeway speed and the clutch disengages. In the few (about 4) miles I drove on the freeway, the HAH appeared to show about 35-40 instant MPG with the clutch engaged. With the clutch engaged it didn't show current flowing in/out of the HVB.

Handling

The FFH has a sportier feel than the HAH. The steering has more feedback in the FFH. The HAH steering is light and limp and feels like driving the Prius.

Regen Braking

The HAH has better regen braking. The brake pedal feel is very much the same in the FFH, the HAH and the Prius, but the Prius & HAH can brake harder without engaging the brake pads according to their respective displays.

Interior Design

The Honda interior design is terrible!!! There are 3 screens in the center of the dash. The top one is what's show in the pic above and the current trip fuel economy data is the only useful info it can display. This is the screen where the back-up camera displays and the Lane Watch camera displays. The middle screen displays the radio/cell phone info. The middle screen is a touch screen. I'm young and tech savvy, and I was very frustrated by that screen. I had a hard time using it to control the radio since radio information will display on both the small screen and the big top screen once you start fiddling with it. I couldn't figure out how to display the song titles/station info anywhere on the screens. Then right below the middle touch screen are the HVAC controls and a small LED screen for the HVAC settings.

The center console is well designed. The parking brake is a console mounted lever and the cup holders are well placed. I agree with Alex from the YouTube video above that the location of the USB port is awful because it means you will have cords strung all over the car and there's no privacy to leave an iPod plugged in all the time out of sight like in the FFH. The seats are comfortable, but feel firmer than the FFH. My wife's first comment was that the seats are too firm and that it "feels like a Honda". Saying it "feels like a Honda" is not a compliment. While the dash materials are better than the TCH, they are nowhere near as nice as the FFH. The buttons don't feel like they are as high quality as in the FFH. The moonroof buttons and seat adjustment buttons feel especially cheap.

There is no compass built in, at least not in the EX-L trim (without navigation) that I drove. The outside temp is only displayed on the dash and is not visible to passengers in the car. The rear view mirror is auto-dimming. There are no garage door opener buttons except on the top-of-the-line Touring trim.

I didn't take the time to check out the back seat space because it was very cold outside. I also didn't spend much time looking at the trunk other than to confirm that the trunk is useless when the rear seats don't fold down. Back when we had our 2006 Accord Hybrid and out Saab 9-5 Aero, we often had to take the Saab because the Accord Hybrid didn't have a folding rear seat and had limited trunk space because of the batteries.

Safety Features

The rear camera has a really strange perspective that makes it look like the parking space is extremely narrow. The space I backed into when returning to the dealer was wide enough that the doors on both sides of the HAH could be opened all the way without hitting another car. However, the camera made it look like I was going to knock off the mirrors of the cars on each side of me when I was backing in. The Accord Hybrid doesn't have back up sensors and they are not an option. It also doesn't have the option of front parking sensors like the FFH. The HAH has Lane Departure Warning. It will not steer you back into your lane like the FFH with Lane Keep Assist. The Honda also offers Lane Watch. This feature activates a camera in the right side mirror every time you turn on your right turn signal which displays. I found this to be incredibly annoying. I would much rather have BLIS. The HAH doesn't offer any sort of blind spot monitoring system.

Exterior Design

The HAH looks nice from the outside, but not as nice as the FFH. However, the HAH does include driving lights!!! The DRLs are LEDs like the Prius and look very nice. There are no fog lights on the EX-L, but based on pictures in the Accord brochure it appears that the Accord Hybrid Touring does have fog lights. The HAH has LED tail lights and also separate bulbs for the turn signals in back.

Overall Summary

If you were to get into a Fusion Hybrid without the Ford badges you could easily think that you're sitting in a car that costs $45k+. When you hear about the available safety features on the FFH you could easily think that you're talking about a car that costs $45k+. When you look at the exterior design of the FFH you compare its looks with cars that cost $45k+. None of those statements apply to the HAH. The Accord Hybrid feels like a cheap car. The Accord Hybrid is not a cheap car, it costs over $36k for a Touring model and still has less features than our FFH SE. Our FFH SE had a sticker price of $37,395. For that extra $1000 over the HAH we have BLIS, Active Park Assist, Premium Paint, Premium Floor Mats & Premium 18-inch Wheels. That's a lot of extras for only $1000 more than the HAH. The only feature that the HAH has at that price that our FFH SE does not is Push Button Start.

Hopefully the HAH will cannibalize some Accord sales and get more people driving hybrids, but it is not serious competition for the Fusion Hybrid. The Fusion Hybrid is still, hands down, the best sedan on the market.

Fusion Hybrid Advantages

Handling
Steering feel
Interior design/material quality
Available safety features
Exterior design
Hybrid driving feedback
MyFordTouch infotainment system

Accord Hybrid Advantages

Better regen brakes
Driving Lights are a standard feature
Separate bulbs from brake lights for rear turn signals
Push Button Start is standard on all trim levels

·
Thunder Up!
2,559 Posts
Whew. Bold statements. In my opinion, the Fusion looks like a boat out of water. Just like the Taurus. The cars look HUUUGE

·
Registered
83 Posts
Fusion Hybrid the best Sedan on the market? Huh? I wouldn't classify any mainstream hybrid in that category. I guess if you're world is limited to hybrids then the Fusion is the tallest midget.

If you look on the other end of the spectrum (the fun side). The Accord V6 gets much better real world mpgs than the Fusion 2.0t. I believe Ford has or had a class action lawsuit against them for inflating mpgs, at least on the non-hybrids.

I'll take my V6 sedan over either hybrid.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Thanks for the in depth comparison and review of the Ford Fusion Hybrid and the Accord Hybrid. The real question is which car are you going to buy? I have only driven one hybrid which was a Ford C Max that I rented in Montreal in December. Because of the bad weather and the short distance between my hotel and the place of business I didn't drive the car as far as he did on his test drive. Like everyone on this forum the OP is entitled to his options. However, the words he forgot to type was 'In my opinion' before the words 'The best sedan on the market'. When I was shopping for a car I didn't consider a hybrid because there are no hybrid coupes.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Quick question:

Doesn't the Fusion / Hybrid have that stupid touchkey entry system where you have to key in a code to unlock the door?

In these days of Smart Entry where the door unlocks by grabbing the door handle (with key nearby), having to key in a code is archaic.

Some things I don't like about the Fusion / Hybrid -

* The left dead pedal (footrest) is partially blocked by a plastic floor panel

* High beltline which reduces side window height which is in turn further reduced by inside plastic barrier

* Steering wheel has funny tilt somewhere between a sedan and a bit more horizontal (like a bus)

* Driver's seat is rounded on front edges, thereby reducing thigh support a bit.

* Seatbacks and front seat bottoms appear rather small in Fusion

* Rear seat room is positively less in Fusion than Accord

* Trunk width is narrowed a lot due to panels

* B pillar between front /rear doors is very thick

* Rear of trunk lid is almost flush with rear bumper. You'll have smashed trunk lid in a rear fender bender accident.

* I don't think Fusion looks all that great. Accord looks much closer to BMW-esque exterior and who could make a case that current BMWs don't look sharp?
---------------------------

I'd have to drive an Accord Hybrid to know if its hybrid system works as well as ***** and others are reporting. I've gotta say that Hybrid Synergy Drive works well, except that Prius' leave a lot to be desired in so many areas of comfort, quietness and driveability.

The current Camry is an ergonomic mess IMO. If you ever get a chance pay particular attention to the alignment of the driver's seat and the steering. Easily seen that the steering wheel / column is a good 2 inches right of seat centerline. I've never seen that in any Honda. Who wants their hands skewed to the right while driving down a favorite backroad, or anywhere??

·
Registered
15 Posts
While I will agree the the fusion is a really nice car to look at, I would be more concerned about dependability. Having recently traded up from a problem ridden ford which was brand new to an accord, I will say that honda is superior. The reliability of a honda is tried and true while ford really only has the f - series trucks to point to.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fusion Hybrid the best Sedan on the market? Huh? I wouldn't classify any mainstream hybrid in that category. I guess if you're world is limited to hybrids then the Fusion is the tallest midget.

If you look on the other end of the spectrum (the fun side). The Accord V6 gets much better real world mpgs than the Fusion 2.0t. I believe Ford has or had a class action lawsuit against them for inflating mpgs, at least on the non-hybrids.

I'll take my V6 sedan over either hybrid.
There is no doubt in my mind that hybrids are the best sedans on the market and that they're superior to any gas-only sedan.

I always like to take the opportunity to encourage people to look at hybrids.

Here are some of the benefits (both cost benefits and driving experience benefits) I often tout:

1) No complicated automatic, belt-driven CVT or manual transmission & clutch to break/wear out or have to change fluid in - the eCVT (not like a regular CVT at all) is an elegantly simple design (something I'm sure you'd appreciate as an engineering grad)
2) Silence at stop lights with the ICE off
3) Silence much of the time in city driving because the ICE is off
4) Perfectly smooth acceleration with no transmission shifts
5) Smooth sounding acceleration with no changes in engine loudness from RPM increasing & decreasing as the transmission shifts
6) Perfectly smooth braking with the Generator doing most of the work until the brake pads kick in at low speeds (compared to brake pads on conventional cars where the stopping power at the same level of pedal pressure changes over the life of the pads)
7) Hybrids have no starter to wear out
8) There are no belts or parasitic loads
9) Regen braking results in very low brake wear (brake pads/rotors often last 150,000+ miles)
10) The engine runs less than 100% of the time (usually about 40-60%) resulting in longer engine life and less oil changes
11) Spark plugs last for 120,000 miles or more
12) 40+ MPG year round average

The Fusion is an excellent car and is incredibly comfortable and well designed. We had the chance to drive a Fusion Titanium (with a lot more features than our car) one time while having some warranty work done, and while it was very nice, the driving experience just doesn't compare to the refinement of driving a hybrid.
Quick question:

Doesn't the Fusion / Hybrid have that stupid touchkey entry system where you have to key in a code to unlock the door?

In these days of Smart Entry where the door unlocks by grabbing the door handle (with key nearby), having to key in a code is archaic.

Some things I don't like about the Fusion / Hybrid -

* The left dead pedal (footrest) is partially blocked by a plastic floor panel

* High beltline which reduces side window height which is in turn further reduced by inside plastic barrier

* Steering wheel has funny tilt somewhere between a sedan and a bit more horizontal (like a bus)

* Driver's seat is rounded on front edges, thereby reducing thigh support a bit.

* Seatbacks and front seat bottoms appear rather small in Fusion

* Rear seat room is positively less in Fusion than Accord

* Trunk width is narrowed a lot due to panels

* B pillar between front /rear doors is very thick

* Rear of trunk lid is almost flush with rear bumper. You'll have smashed trunk lid in a rear fender bender accident.

* I don't think Fusion looks all that great. Accord looks much closer to BMW-esque exterior and who could make a case that current BMWs don't look sharp?
---------------------------

I'd have to drive an Accord Hybrid to know if its hybrid system works as well as ***** and others are reporting. I've gotta say that Hybrid Synergy Drive works well, except that Prius' leave a lot to be desired in so many areas of comfort, quietness and driveability.

The current Camry is an ergonomic mess IMO. If you ever get a chance pay particular attention to the alignment of the driver's seat and the steering. Easily seen that the steering wheel / column is a good 2 inches right of seat centerline. I've never seen that in any Honda. Who wants their hands skewed to the right while driving down a favorite backroad, or anywhere??
You don't have to use the keycode to unlock/lock the doors. But it's a really nice feature because you don't need your key to go and grab stuff from the car, you can just use the keycode. The 2014 Fusion Hybrids have the option of Push Button Start with the "intelligent access" where you just grab the door handle to unlock the car as an option on the SE trim, it has always been standard on the Titanium trim.

We've found the FFH seats to be incredibly comfortable and have taken two 4500 mile road trips where we could spend 16 hours in a day in the car and not feel exhausted because it's so comfortable. The trunk width is rather narrow, but the rear seats fold down which is far more important to us than the width of the trunk. Any item that's too wide for the FFH opening should fit the other way in the trunk with the seats folded down. An item that is too wide for the HAH or TCH trunk opening will not fit in those cars because the seats don't fold down. The rear trunk lid is flush with the bumper for aerodynamics. The design reduces turbulence and thus reduces drag.

The Prius isn't an enjoyable car to drive, neither is the TCH. The HAH is definitely better than those two cars. But, the Fusion is engaging to drive and is really a "driver's car". The Accord Hybrid might be a good replacement for my wife's Prius when the lease is up, but it would never replace the FFH. Maybe by the time Honda gets their second generation HAH out they will have caught up to Ford. What makes the Ford so enjoyable is that it's a nice place to be, you enjoy being behind the wheel. The Prius, TCH and HAH don't do that. They're just like an appliance to shuttle you from Point A to Point B without any joy in your travels.

As far as which would we buy, we've already bought the FFH, two of them in fact. And, this reaffirmed my confidence in our decision that we got the best value for the price we paid. I hope the HAH gets more ppl to buy hybrids because anytime someone is driving a hybrid it is a good thing because they're inflicting less damage on the environment than with a conventional car. But, I wouldn't buy one because of the interior design more than any other part that I didn't like. The powertrain is excellent, except for the lurching of the clutch engaging on the freeway, and the braking feel is stellar. I will definitely recommend that ppl check out the HAH, but the FFH is still the number one sedan to me.

·
Banned
13,099 Posts
Too many acronyms in that otherwise well-written review.

Don't know what "BLIS", "ICE", nor "SOC" are nor a few other acronyms.

e.g. First time you write "Honda Accord Hybrid", use this (HAH) immediately after.

I'll have to test drive the FFH ASAP, LOL, lest I be SOL. Going to the Chicago Auto Show this week....

·
Registered
274 Posts
Wow. Very in-depth. Not gonna lie, the exterior of the new fusions look great, but their interiors are quite a let down.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Nice comparison. I think you may have had a bad sample with your clutch lockup at highway speeds. I have not noticed lurching in my hybrid.

For the audio, if you press the audio button on the lower console, you will get full music information on the upper screen. Probably just something you missed.

The dual screen is somewhat odd at first. I find the lower touch screen to not show a lot of information and be a little out of place. At the same time, when the upper screen shows Nav and battery info, you can see music info on the lower screen. (Although it's limited.)

You are correct, the power flow display for the battery is limited. It also doesn't show all the times the battery is charging. I've even discovered that the battery can charge in 'engine only' mode, when you are on the highway and it shows the clutch lockup case, and doesn't show any battery connection on the diagram.

·
Ryland L. Loncharich
112 Posts
I would agree that the FFH buttons do not feel quite as cheap as the HAH but we are talking about the feel of the buttons here and the FFH still has cheap feeling/looking buttons. How on earth could you possibly feel you are in a 45K+ car with an interior like the FFH? It looks so dreadful, boring/boxy and it is full of cheap clinky plastic. Not to mention seeing Sony on the Dash is ridiculous. Lets also not forget the FFH does not have any LED DRL's so you compare those differences in price for the 1K and leave out the most expensive one. I mean seriously, just look at the difference. The new Honda Accord has the best looking interiors through out their entire line up when compared to ANY manufacture. Even your luxury cars do not compare to the overall quality and feel the Accord's interior has:

·
Banned
13,099 Posts
Everyone has an opinion. Thanks guys for being civil to him. :D
It is through fair competition that the consumer benefits. Let's be honest, the "Big Three" were producing junk in the late 1970s and early 1980s. Only after Honda, Toyota, and Datsun/Nissan forced the issue did the Big Three actually improve.

Toyota let me drive a Prius in Japan in 1999. One week later, I was in Dearborn, MI at the Ford HQ and they let me drive their PNGV vehicle. It was a natural gas powered Ford Ranger. Huge let down.

Glad to see Ford upping the game. And I am VERY interested in the fuel mileage in cold weather comparison.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Too many acronyms in that otherwise well-written review.

Don't know what "BLIS", "ICE", nor "SOC" are nor a few other acronyms.

e.g. First time you write "Honda Accord Hybrid", use this (HAH) immediately after.

I'll have to test drive the FFH ASAP, LOL, lest I be SOL. Going to the Chicago Auto Show this week....
BLIS - Blind Spot Information System
ICE - Internal Combustion Engine
SOC - State of Charge
I would agree that the FFH buttons do not feel quite as cheap as the HAH but we are talking about the feel of the buttons here and the FFH still has cheap feeling/looking buttons. How on earth could you possibly feel you are in a 45K+ car with an interior like the FFH? It looks so dreadful, boring/boxy and it is full of cheap clinky plastic. Not to mention seeing Sony on the Dash is ridiculous. Lets also not forget the FFH does not have any LED DRL's so you compare those differences in price for the 1K and leave out the most expensive one. I mean seriously, just look at the difference. The new Honda Accord has the best looking interiors through out their entire line up when compared to ANY manufacture. Even your luxury cars do not compare to the overall quality and feel the Accord's interior has:

We don't have the Titanium trim FFH with the Sony audio. The FFH interior is very well designed from an ergonomics perspective, all the materials are high quality and soft touch, there are no panel gaps that stand out as an indication of poor quality and the smooth center console looks much more elegant than the 3 screen Honda design.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thanks hybridbear for such in-depth and well written review. I am a recent owner of the Touring HAH; only experience I had with FFH is when I sat in one at the auto show.
After reading lots of reviews and comparison on both cars, both seems to do well in most aspects. FFH actual fuel consumption is kind of a controversy and HAH is still too young to know for sure. Some seems to easily reach and even exceed EPA numbers. I am not one of them yet. I am new to hybrid and this time of year is far from optimal, still I managed 41-43mpg on highway.

Where the FFH seems to out do the HAH in may reviews and what is pushing the FFH on top of the HAH is mostly style and design. These are highly subjective categories. There is no doubt the FFH is s good looking car. Is it better looking than the HAH? I personally don't think so. Ford jumps from one trendy look to the next very quickly. The previous FFH had this massive chrome grill that I didn't find attractive at all. Now Ford is tacking on the Aston Martin front end on the Focus and Fusion. Ford do own Aston Martin, but I think it is plain ripoff. That Aston Martin front end are absolutely beautiful on Vanquish and DB9, not on the FFH.
The HAH might be called bland and boring, but ten years from now, it will still look good. I sent my 98 Accord to the scrap yard in January that was still kind of attractive. Because Honda doesn't jump in the trendy bandwagon, their cars age much better than other manufacturer that go for eye catching features.

About the interior design, you fell the HAH is cheap looking and the interior is "terrible!!!". That is highly subjective again and quite honestly a bit harsh. Again, I have not driven the FFH but I spent a good 20 minutes in the FFH and I haven't found it was any more luxurious or higher quality than the HAH. I would rate them on par for fit and finish.
Now design are totally different. I concede the center stack on the FFH look better but I wouldn't go so far as calling it more usable. Lots of reviewers seems to stuck on the "3 screens" HAH center stack. I don't know why that seems to be an issue. There is not 3 screens, the tiny bottom one is simply the A/C control and display. Top one is Nav/info screen and center screen is radio/touch sensitive. It is not like you have to jump from one screen to the other to complete a single function.
I personally like the bottom A/C display; it's not obtrusive and I can check the A/C status in the blink of an eye.

After a month of driving the HAH, I really love it. Like everything, there is no perfection. Here are what I fell could have been implemented better in the HAH:

- the control knob at the bottom of the center stack: it should be beside the transmission lever, like BMW for example. Also, I think it is too stiff. Maybe it will loosen over time.
- the whole nav/infotainment system seems a bit on the slow side.
- hybrid information screen; it should display more information like how many EV miles I got on a trip...

The only complaint I have with the HAH is the very slight lurch on highway when switching from EV to engine drive mode. I don't think it is that noticeable but I am a very picky person so I notice these kind of things. I hope that could be fixed by a software upgrade if that is not an technical issue.

Other than that, I am extremely satisfied with the HAH. Having owned a 92 and 98 Accord that both saw 120k miles in our harsh winter climate, I was very confident going with the HAH over the FFH even though the HAH sports a totally new hybrid system.

·
Registered
684 Posts
The test drive has reaffirmed my certainty that the FFH is the best mass-market sedan available.

The Accord Hybrid EX-L is a very nice car. But it is not as nice as the FFH.
I haven't read your detailed review yet. You've provided some useful posts before in this forum and I knew when I saw your name that you were a Fusion owner. So to see this statement right up front make me think that you're trolling.

Were you seriously looking for a new car when you test drove the Accord Hybrid? It's more likely that you drove on to reaffirm your decision to buy the Fusion. I don't fault you for that. It's normal human nature and I likely would have done the same thing in your shoes.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I bought my Accord Hybrid at the first of the year. I had been looking at it and trying to find one in my color and trim since the day it was released or I would have gotten it sooner. Before then and even after the Accord Hybrid's release I seriously considered the Ford Fusion Hybrid.

For me the choice came down to two major factors: brand loyalty and new technology.

I've been driving Hondas for 25 years. For me that means two, count em, two cars. My wife has had two Hondas as well. Been very pleased with the brand.

New technology. Many of the professional reviewers and big name magazines have described the Honda hybrid system as the next generation system. It's more of a series hybrid where the electric motor drives the wheels at low speed and the gas engine generates electricity. Only at speeds above 44 MPH does the gas engine engage the wheels. My understandings is that the Ford uses a system similar to the Toyota's hybrid synergy drive where at lower speeds the gas engine and the electric motor are both propelling the car.

There have been reports from lots of credible sources of the Accord being able to hit really high MPGs in certain situations. I personally had one 6 mile drive where I hit 74.9 MPG! It was a bit of a surprise because I wasn't watching the MPG displays and wasn't trying real hard or even trying to hit a big number. Didn't notice until I almost arrived at my destination.

There were a few minor issues to that pushed me away from the Fusion, starting with Push Button Start. Kind of ridiculous that Ford didn't include this as standard. Check and Ford forum and you'll see that Ford buyers agree. A frequent cry is that the Prius has had it forever.

Ford made another design mistake with the keyed system. The keyhole on the steering column is right behind the wheel as opposed to being close to the dash. I never would have thought about that until I drove one. That puts the key and my keychain directly above my knee. So I could have lived with not having Push Button start but would have been annoyed by having my keys hitting or so close to my knees.

The 2014 Fusion Hybrids have the option of Push Button Start with the "intelligent access" where you just grab the door handle to unlock the car as an option on the SE trim, it has always been standard on the Titanium trim.
And if you get a Titanium trim then you can only get black interior. I didn't like any of the color choices on the Fusion with a black interior. I liked several that had the light interior. That means you had to get the Push Button Start as an option. That means a factory order because finding one on a dealers lot was next to impossible. My local ford dealer had probably 50 FFH in stock but not a single model with Push Button Start.

I had no idea why the OP kept referring the three screens until someone pointed out that he was talking about the climate controls. My EX-L hybrid doesn't have the big knob and buttons below the climate controls like is pictured above - that's a Touring model. Mine has a simple cubby there. There are two knobs on the radio - one to the left and one to the right. It looks cleaner.

The FFH has been dinged by reviewers for it's confusing array of buttons when you get the touch screen model. I agree. As I recall the buttons for climate control are mixed in with other functions. Not real intuitive.

And not to forget all the negative press they've gotten for the MyFordTouch system crashing and having other issues. Some of that may have been helped with a recent update. But it is a Microsoft product :D

·
Registered
177 Posts
I've owned at least 4 Ford products over the years. Two Mustangs 05 and 06. Two Ford Rangers 01 and 02.

Ford service was always a rude disaster. In fact at one point they banned me from the dealer after a service incident. They banned me because I was angry they had not fixed a brake problem after 4 visits. They couldn't fix the problem so just told me to never come back. I was not allowed there any longer.

I eventually used the dispute settlement option to get Ford to buyback the truck. I was able to deliver the buyback to any dealer of my choice. I chose the dealer that had banned me. There was nothing they could do or say about it either as there was a Ford regional manager present at the time of turn-in. All they could do is hand me a check and say "Thank you". :biggrin:

I went back to this dealer about 4 years later just looking around. Its funny, they couldn't remember anything about my being banned when they thought I was going to buy a car.

Ford products and their service is a JOKE. Good luck with that. :thmsup:

Its one of the reasons I now own a Honda. :nuts:

1 - 20 of 53 Posts