Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I've been perusing your forum heavily for the past month or so gleaning a great deal of useful information from it. I purchased an Accord Hybrid a month ago and have loved it. Its kinda fun having a hybrid geared toward performance rather than mpg's. Evidently it wasn't a good long term strategy for Honda, but I'll still pick the fruits of their labor. Enough with the rambling.

One issue that I'm struggling with presently is a very obnoxious vibration when the IMA kicks in and rpm's are low. If I were to compare it to a typical vehicle with no hybrid components, I would say that its as if the engine was running very rough (like cylinders are not firing properly). I know that you might say, "well, that's what IMA is ... it shuts down 3 of the 6 cylinders". Yes, that is true, but from my research so far, IMA may cause some vibration but not to the extent that I'm experiencing. If I push on the accelerator even slightly (applying some extra load and therefore killing the IMA), the vibration quits. The speed at which this occurs varies anywhere from 30 to 60 mph and seems to be more closely tied to rpm's than speed. It seems to mainly happen around 1500 to 2000 rpms.

From what digging I've done so far, the obvious culprits could be the Active Noise Cancellation or perhaps the motor mounts (it seems that IMA might be hard on the motor mounts). I'm doubtful its the ANC since its more of a vibration than an audible noise. I found princess's post about testing the ANC by using a jumper wire from the 12v power outlet to the dome light and plan on trying that out as soon as I can. Do any of you super intelligent Accord aficionados have any ideas?

Thanks!!

·
Super Moderator
4,420 Posts
ANC won't cause a vibration you can feel, if ANC doesn't operate properly it's something you'll definitely hear.

Have the engine mounts, both front and rear checked. They are vacuum controlled variable dampening mounts.

I think you can pull the fuse for the audio system, that will shut down the ANC and you can see if the vibration is there or audio created.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your replies! Are these variable dampening motor mounts known to be problematic with Variable Cylinder Management vehicles? My accord is a 2005 with 60k miles. Do the mounts fail entirely or just certain components of the mount (vacuum components, etc)? Sounds like it could be a very expensive repair :|

Thanks again.

·
Registered
231 Posts
im havin to deal with the same situation with my 06 hybrid still havent gotten around to figuring out what is wrong with it though. let me know if you find anything.

·
Super Moderator
4,420 Posts
The motor mounts on gen 6 and gen 7 V6 models aren't the most durable. The front mount rips, and the engine can lift up out of the chassis a bit, and the rear collapses, causing odd vibrations.

The rear mount is very hard to tell as the damage is concealed until it's removed.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Welcome to the pool of HAH owners with vibrating IMA. You are not alone. I'm one of them in my HAH'07.
I will tell you my story when find some spare time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Drozzin,

I would love to hear the details about your HAH woes. For the most part I really enjoy mine but it definitely has some character. Both the front door lock actuators failed (within days of each other), which I repaired. Its crazy how much of the door you have to rip apart to get the actuator out of there. Lets just say that the second door went much more quickly than the first since I had a bit of experience under my belt with round one.

If you get some extra time, please expound on your experiences :) If any others have some HAH drama they would like to share, I'm very interested.

·
2005 Hybrid - Black
10 Posts
I've got a 2005 accord hybrid that does the same thing. Right around 1500 rpm, no matter what speed, there's a big rumble from the engine. Seems worse at around 35 mph, but I can also feel it at highway speeds when rpm is at 1500. Not awful, but that much rumble cant be good on the car. I just try to not drive it at that rpm. I've had the dealership look at it and they say everything is fine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
06 HAH vibe

So has anyone had this issue figured out? I've got 237k (yes, that's right) on mine and I've lived with the low speed, vibration thing for a long time - I'm ready to fix it now.

I've got a 2005 accord hybrid that does the same thing. Right around 1500 rpm, no matter what speed, there's a big rumble from the engine. Seems worse at around 35 mph, but I can also feel it at highway speeds when rpm is at 1500. Not awful, but that much rumble cant be good on the car. I just try to not drive it at that rpm. I've had the dealership look at it and they say everything is fine.

·
Registered
40 Posts
108K and no such issues. fingers crossed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
108K and no such issues. fingers crossed.
It's hard to believe I can't find a fix for this. I recently took it into my local Honda dealership and they said they thought it might be the EGR valve that was causing it. I replaced the EGR valve and it still does it. They "said" my motor mounts looked fine (although I haven't looked myself). I've read all over the net about this issue, but not a single fix??

·
Registered
40 Posts
It certainly sounds like motor mounts. An engine can shake itself to pieces and your teeth out when it is missing on a single cylinder. In VCM the engine is cutting out 3 cylinders. If the mounts are broken or malfunctioning then it would definitely translate to felt vibration.

If the felt vibration is distinctly occurring or drastically increasing when the Eco light comes on then I would have a hard time thinking of anything but the motor mounts.

I've heard the mounts can't be visually assessed with 100% reliability without pulling the engine off of them.

Edit: Felt vibration from missing cylinders will more exaggerated at lower RPMs.

·
Carpe Diem
3,159 Posts
It certainly sounds like motor mounts. An engine can shake itself to pieces and your teeth out when it is missing on a single cylinder. In VCM the engine is cutting out 3 cylinders. If the mounts are broken or malfunctioning then it would definitely translate to felt vibration.
Agreed, definitely sounds like bad motor mounts to me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same problem - any solution?

I drive a 2005 HAH and am having the same problem with vibration at low RPMs. Anyone found a solution out there yet?

If it is the motor mounts does anyone have an estimate on the cost to repair?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I drive a 2005 HAH and am having the same issue. Has anyone figured out a solution?

If it is bad motor mounts, does anyone have an estimate on the cost to repair?

Thanks!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts