Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Accord Hybrid EX-L
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Update:

Please be careful about the load index if you plan to choose 225/45/R18 like me. Most 225/45/R18 tires only have 91 of load index, smaller than OEM 94. While this proves to be equally safe if pumped at 36~38 psi vs. OEM tires pumped at 33 psi, you are still recommended to go straight with 94 load index tires.

==========
After riding on the stock Energy Saver for 3 months, I finally made the decision to throw them in the trash. These tires are horrible in cornering, braking, wet traction, etc. I highly doubt their benefit of a few MPGs at the cost of overall performance...A single chance of runaway/hydroplaning/long braking can outcost all the saved fuels.

I chose Continental PureContact LS as the ‘upgrade’, well, actually ~$40 cheaper! I also increased rim size by 1” to 18” because the stock rims are planned to ride on winter tires. I keep 225mm tire width by 225/45/18 which has almost identical outer diameter to stock 225/50/17, and hopefully I won't sacrifice too much ride quality and MPGs.

Last night I replaced the front wheels and gave it a try. Massive improvement on the handling, especially steering response. For a 90-degree street corner I've been passing for numerous times, this time:
1. The steering feel is just quick and responsive.
2. Feels like I can do 20 mph vs 15 mph with Energy Saver.
3. Less body roll. --This should has something to do with 45 aspect ratio vs 50.

Front tires pressure is measured to be 35 psi; previous Energy saver also runs 35 psi front. --in case you are wondering whether I have the correct tire pressure.

My partner has been on the passenger seat all the time. As a passenger he fully agrees that cornering is massively improved. However, we also noticed higher road noise on highway: might be related to tire brake-in period.

I am going to replace the rear tires right away. Later on I will share more experience on the mountainous CT-15 highway. With the Energy Saver I can barely do 65 mph but some corners are scaring; I am expecting these Conti tires to do 70.

By the way, any suggestion on pricing a set of used Energy Saver A/S 225/50/R17 with 9000 miles on Craigslist? I'd appreciate it to learn any platforms for trading used tires.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for sharing that. I am going to do the exact same thing. Go to an 18" wheel as well (8" x 8" slightly wider than stock). I have only 150 miles on my tires but I already don't like them.
I am switching to Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S tires. I had them on my E class Mercedes that was totaled leading me to own a new Honda. Safety beats a few MPG in my mind as well.

·
Premium Member
2,834 Posts
I chose Continental PureContact LS as the ‘upgrade’,
I just replaced my Goodyears on my 9th gen with the same exact tires.
Still early, but, so far I'm impressed.
They got very good reviews on Tire Rack.
And it's weird, but my average MPG went up about 1 and a half, to about 32.5 mpg.

Reactions: Ziyang

·
Registered
2020 Accord Hybrid EX-L
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello, I’m back with some pictures and comments.

This wheel definitely looks more beautiful than stock 17”. I love them. It’s good to see brake parts through spokes. This is a good interpretation of ‘less is more’.

After replacing all 4 corners, driving dynamic is totally fantastic. No more worries in those corners.

My partner, as a passenger, clearly commented that ‘these tires do much better in turning; the previous ones always make me feel the car will be thrown out of corner, but these Conti tires don’t at all.

I even notice the lane keeping is improved: these tires are much more willing to turn at slight steering input, therefore LKAS does improve.

However, I do have to give some negative reviews on fuel economy and road noise, although this can be related to tire break in period. I’ve recorded 5mpg loss and clearly louder road noise.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Love those wheels. Please share the exact specs including offset - I might just get the exact wheel you did. They look sharp

·
Registered
2020 Accord Hybrid EX-L
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Love those wheels. Please share the exact specs including offset - I might just get the exact wheel you did. They look sharp
Thank you.
Wheel size 18×8, 45mm offset, part # MD25805BMF. I see they are still 22% off; you might place an order soon.

I do wish to update for the fuel economy loss:
these new tires have load index of 91V, but stock tires are 94V. Therefore, according to the load index-tire pressure-real load chart, the original 33psi F/R would convert to 37psi F/R. This morning I pumped them to 40psi front / 38psi rear, and immediately noticed MPG recovering on my commute.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ordering as soon as I type this. I see the sale price is still valid. Great price for a very nice set of Wheels. Thanks for the quick reply

·
Registered
933 Posts
They look very similar to the Sport wheels from the previous gen Accord. Might be able to find a set of those for less? Either way, looks good!

Reactions: Ziyang

·
Registered
2020 Accord Hybrid EX-L
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They look very similar to the Sport wheels from the previous gen Accord. Might be able to find a set of those for less? Either way, looks good!
My price was $132 ea after discount. Really cannot imagine anywhere cheaper for a new 18” wheel.

·
Honda Enthusiast
2017 CR2 Sport 6MT CBP
3,245 Posts
What is the weight of those aftermarket wheels compared to the 9G OEM Sport wheels?
By the way, any suggestion on pricing a set of used Energy Saver A/S 225/50/R17 with 9000 miles on Craigslist? I'd appreciate it to learn any platforms for trading used tires.
$200.

·
Registered
2020 Accord Hybrid EX-L
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What is the weight of those aftermarket wheels compared to the 9G OEM Sport wheels?

$200.
23.7 lb each according to the website. Seems to me a reasonable weight for a cast-built 18” wheel.

I don’t know the weight of 9G OEM sport wheel, but I recall 10G Civic 18” wheel is ~27lb. It seems OEM wheels are generally on the heavy side?

·
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A
10,102 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Accord Hybrid EX-L
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
After a 75-mile highway to NYC and then back, now I kind of come to a summary for these Continental tires.

They absolutely handle well with sharp steering response and little side-rolling tendency compared to stock Energy Saver tires. What surprises me is that even the lane keeping system benefits from improved steering response and more actively keep the vehicle in the lane center than before. On the mountainous CT-15, I used to do 65 mph and frequently felt almost out of control at those curves; tonight, I felt like a breeze at 70 mph and solid confidence even at 80 mph.

Road noise has been decreasing; now they are only slightly louder than Energy Saver. I have to say the Energy Saver tires are pretty quiet just as inherited from Michelin.

Fuel economy does suffer to some extent. I am recording 5 mpg loss after making sure tire pressure is properly pumped. I am somewhat disappointed by this: it seems the Accord Hybrid can only achieve 48 mpg with those crappy Energy Saver tires.

·
Registered
168 Posts
On the touring hybrid model, the sport mode tightens the suspension dampers to correct the soft handling. The stock energy saver tires are acceptable to me in sport mode, although rain traction is still slippy.

·
Registered
2020 Accord Hybrid EX-L
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
On the touring hybrid model, the sport mode tightens the suspension dampers to correct the soft handling. The stock energy saver tires are acceptable to me in sport mode, although rain traction is still slippy.
Good to know that Touring's adaptive suspension is effective! Hope it also proves to be reliable throughout time.
Yeah wet traction is indeed my major concern with stock tires...It rained heavily here yesterday, and I just can't believe how well these PureContact tires grab the road even at highway speed!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Good to know that Touring's adaptive suspension is effective! Hope it also proves to be reliable throughout time.
Yeah wet traction is indeed my major concern with stock tires...It rained heavily here yesterday, and I just can't believe how well these PureContact tires grab the road even at highway speed!
The eco tires are a definite compromise. Gas is so cheap now, I may forget the energy savers when it's time to replace mine. Should be around 40,000 miles or so.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts