Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I am new I this forum and just wanted to ask for some help. Past two days my 2006 Honda Accord EXL has been acting weird. I was parked at a drive thru and the car shut off on me. When I was home sitting in the car it happened again in park. When I turn on the car it kinda shakes and same when I turn off the car. The RPMs are going between 1 and less like it wants to shut off. I have now noticed my car will stall out when I'm slowing down at a stop sign or traffic light. I've heard it could be the IAC valve, a EGR valve etc. I just need some help.

·
Elvira
3,436 Posts
Welcome to the group. Now let's see if we can help.:thmsup:

IAC, EGR, huge vacuum leak, bad PCV valve, bad gas (contaminated with water), dirty fuel filter, really bad air filter, MAF sensor weak, broken, covered with dirt or oil, it can go on.

What have you done to your car as far as maintenance?

Cleaned throttle body? Carbon buildup screwing with idle control IAC
Air filter? Old and not replaced or a squirrel crawled into intake:dunno:
Fuel filter? when replaced
check PCV valve? they don't last forever and DO FAIL
Did you have this problem occur immediately after filling up somewhere? bad gas

Miker

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been filling up lately on gas at a nearby Arab citgo and I hear they may put water in the gasoline would that cause this and would it be able to be fixe in a way?
I've always gotten my oil changes on time synthetic oil and only thing I could think of is gas.

·
Elvira
3,436 Posts
I'm not going to get into an ethnicity cause for your problem, but if you can relate your troubles with timing of a gas fill-up then that's probably your cause.
This stalling problem usually doesn't just magically occur without warning, there is usually a degradation in performance first then a failure. But water in gas does show up immediately.
As far as a fix is concerned, do you live in an area with ethanol in your gas?

If not maybe a little gas dryer in the tank might get you through this tank. If this IS a large amount of water in the fuel I believe the only way to really fix is to empty the fuel completely.

if you can maybe adding "clean" fuel regularly may dilute the percentage of water.
By the way Citgo gas comes from the Venezualan dictator Chavez who controls Petroelos de Venezuela.

Miker

·
Elvira
3,436 Posts
Sounds like fuel injection system. If not It may be the alternator if it shuts off.
Bad fuel pump. Could be.:dunno:

Bad single injector usually doesn't kill engine. Multiple maybe.

Sounds like DK has had this happen ?

Miker

·
Elvira
3,436 Posts
Seafoam couldn't hurt.

To OP you didn't overfill your tank by constantly clicking the nozzle, did you?

If you overfilled the tank you may have trashed the EVAP system too.

Miker

·
Registered
516 Posts
Hello and welcome!

About a a year and a half ago, I had just bought my 2004 Accord V-6, and had something very similar happen. My accord is manual transmission, and whenever I could come to a stop (and the car would drop down to idle), the engine would just sputter and stall out. The car would be totally fine when I was driving it, and giving it some gas, but it did not idle at all.

I took it to a local Honda shop we have where I live (NOT the dealership), and it turned out my EGR valve was clogged up. I had them completely replace the valve and had no further problems with my car stalling. Perhaps you are experiencing the same problem

·
Registered
310 Posts
try disconnecting the egr connector and see if the car still dies. it could also be your IACV if your car has one. you should mention what size engine you have. stating the year doesn't help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lots of good help thanks btw I have a 2.4L engine and was looking at possibly cleaning the IACV and EGR but wasn't exactly sure where it was

·
Banned
13,101 Posts
All good advice, and Original Poster, you did not seem to comment on the correction that Citgo is Venezuelan, not "Arab", nor why you would bring ethnicity into a car forum?

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I never see any egr problems on this gen 4 cylinder and it doesn't have an idle air control valve - it's strictly controlled by an electric throttle body. disregard this for now.

the vehicle doesn't have a serviceable fuel filter. since it runs well and strong while not at idle i'm assuming fuel pressure is ok. disregard this for now.

bad gas can be an issue.
stretched timing chain can be an issue.

the most likely cause, however, is a contaminated MAF if you have one. so find out if you do and we can continue. the MAF sensor is located in the air filter housing cover. it can be contaminated from a loose housing, filthy filter or someone let debris on the filter when checking it or flipped it on accident upon re-installation.

check it out

·
Super Moderator
7,849 Posts
I've been filling up lately on gas at a nearby Arab citgo and I hear they may put water in the gasoline would that cause this and would it be able to be fixe in a way?
I've always gotten my oil changes on time synthetic oil and only thing I could think of is gas.
First, please refrain from using ethnicity in a derogatory manner.

Second, gas stations don't "put water in the gasoline", this will damage engine and related components, there is nothing to gain except liability when customers sue them.

There are a number of other reasons which may be the cause of what you are describing, vacuum leak being another one which has not been mentioned.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts