Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I am new here I am not new to Honda/Acura vehicles and have spend my fair share of time lying under them and under the hood. This is my first hybrid, a 2017 Touring, and by far one of the most enjoyable cars I have owned. It is time to start personalizing it and I made the mistake of getting an eBay grill that looks just like the factory sport one because it said it would fit the hybrid. Well it doesn't, its junk and I am going to go with the OEM one.

Has anyone had any experience putting that on their hybrid? I think there are a few other parts to purchase to make it fit, and that is fine. They are parts #1, 6 and maybe 7 below in the attached image below (first one) as the second one is the parts for our hybrid, parts #2, 6 and 7.

Also, the factory body kit (front and rear) only fit the non-hybrid versions of the Accord sedan but I cannot figure out what the difference, if any is between the front an rear bumpers. My rear bumper was just replaced a year ago when I got rear-ended so it is brand new but my front bumper needs to be (should be repainted) if there is no difference then I will not buy a new front bumper but if there is now is the time to do it. Any thoughts on putting the factor front and rear lower bodykit on the Hybrid.

Cheers!

Thomas

Here is a little more information that I have been able to learn. Only having the hybrid I needed to get some more detailed pictures of the other models to help determine if this is possible.

I have yet to determine if the "Stay" (#6 in the pictures above) can be swapped from the non-hybrid to the hybrid. In the bottom picture you can see that the front protrudes further on the hybrid than the non-hybrid and this protrusion gets in the way and needs to be cleared. So, assuming the stay can be swapped the "Front Bumper Air Duct" (#1 in the first picture and #2 in the second cannot. The intake on the hybrid is placed differently than the other models, these are the slits in the Air Duct on the right in picture #1 and left on picture #2. Detailed of this on the cars is below.

Without modification to the Front Upper Air Duct on the hybrid this part cannot be put back on the car.

More to come and I will try and get pictures tonight on what I am dealing with...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A few more updates for you...

Here is what the front currently looks like to get this grill to fit. As you can see the factory Front Upper Air Duct and factory Stay in the middle around the hood latch will not fit. I am going to order the stay from an Accord Sport Sensing as that would be the closest to my car and the part is only $27. This way it is short money in the event it does not fit. I also plan on cutting the hybrid's stock Upper Air Duct with my Dremel to make it fit, so there is more to come. And yes, under the duct it is very dirty, I know.

As for the grill itself the following pictures show the issue that I am facing. This weekend I will remove the bumper again and spend more time in the sunlight trying to make it work. If it does not then I will bite the bullet and buy the factory one as my hybrid grill is broken and will not be able to clip to the bumper anymore. The previous owner broke that part. Ignore the angry looking dude in the second pic, the chrome makes me look pissed...LOL. OK I am frustrated.

Here is the interesting part. In looking at my stock grill, there is a spot on the left (driver's side) for the grill duct on the non-hybrid versions of the Accords. The part numbers are completely different between the Hybrid Touring and the Sport Sensing so why have the ability fo install the grill duct on the left where the hybrid's intake is on the right (passenger's side) of the car? Maybe the sport grill has the screws on the right as well?

If the eBay grill works this weekend I will probably stop there but if it does not then I will spend more money and get the stock Sport Grill and attempt to get that to work...hopefully.

Lastly, while I had the patient opened up I decided to upgrade my horns with the factory alternative. No more "meep-meep" for this hybrid.

Hope you are enjoying this thread. As frustrating as this is I am having fun documenting this for you.

Thomas

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, I learned more and it is frustrating...

The bumper on the HAH has 10 tabs on it to attach the grill where the non-HAH have 6. After drilling more holes to get the tabs to fit and using some zip ties with screws I got it to look better...ish. But it is by no means perfect.

If I am going to get this to work I think it will be with all OEM parts, but before I go and buy all the OEM equipment I need to know if it will fit. I am heading to Honda and the auto body shop that did my rear bumper to get some insight from them. If anything, the auto body shop should know if there is a difference.

To make this work right it does look like it is going to cost a lot more than I wanted...ugh.

·
Hybrid Enthusiast
71 Posts
I wish I had seen this sooner, I would have informed you that the bumpers from HAH and non-HAH are totally different. Engine compartment space allocation is the main culprit for the front. Rear is also different.
Even the hood of the HAH is different from the non-HAH.
Many pieces of the HAH are not transferrable with the non-HAH. The exterior may look the same but the majority of the internals are not compatible and modification / bodywork / electrical work is more expensive on this vehicle than non-HAH.

I hope you see more updates on your journey.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wish I had seen this sooner, I would have informed you that the bumpers from HAH and non-HAH are totally different. Engine compartment space allocation is the main culprit for the front. Rear is also different.
Even the hood of the HAH is different from the non-HAH.
Many pieces of the HAH are not transferrable with the non-HAH. The exterior may look the same but the majority of the internals are not compatible and modification / bodywork / electrical work is more expensive on this vehicle than non-HAH.

I hope you see more updates on your journey.
Damn! Thank you though this is good to know. I went to Honda today and talked to the parts manager and he helped with the different part numbers, etc. Looks like I am just going to have to go back to the stock HAH grill...but the sport looks so much better on it.

Before I buy the stock grill I am going to do some more research to see if I can make it happen, but with what you said, it looks like this is going to be much harder than I thought as at each turn I find something else different.

I appreciate your input on this, thank you!

Thomas

1 - 5 of 5 Posts