Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so I see alot of people post that they have purchased and instaled the Polk Db6501's. Some people amp them up and a few run them on the stock unit. But nobody reports back and says how they sound just running off the stock head unit. I know that they will not meet there potential until they are amped up but I want to know how they sound on the stock head unit.

I do not think that the stock system is complete garbage when listening to CD's, USB, or Bluetooth but I do agree that it could sound better. So this is what I am looking for. After the front speakers are replaced do you see any increase in voulme? Are the db's any louder then stock? Do the db's have any more bass? Is the sound any clearer? Or are the DB's complete garbage running of the stock head unit and it is not worth the money to replace them.

I am a big fan of doing the least invasive fix first. I know I can build a system and put it in but do not know if I want to rewire the car and tap into factory wires when replacing a couple of speakers will do the trick.

I am comming from a 2000 Grand Prix with the upgraded Bose system and had no problem with that system. I drove that car for 13 years and never once wished I upgrade the system.

·
2009 accord ex 4 cylinder
692 Posts
I got the polk db6501 front components they are amped with a 4 channel amp im keeping the head unit and i used a line out converter the lc6i BUT last week i had a problems with one of the speakers the glue came off and it sounded bad so i called polk audio and they said the was i common issue so i would not recomended them pick some other brand

·
Registered
884 Posts
I am also curious about this. I've never done any serious audio upgrades on any of my cars. Just HU and speakers.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I got the polk db6501 front components they are amped with a 4 channel amp im keeping the head unit and i used a line out converter the lc6i BUT last week i had a problems with one of the speakers the glue came off and it sounded bad so i called polk audio and they said the was i common issue so i would not recomended them pick some other brand
yow...great customer support...not.:thumbsdow

·
Registered
884 Posts
Alpine is my brand.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Polk Audios are great, never had issues with them.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have the db6501 installed running off the stock HU in my sport, with the rear speakers disconnected and run straight into my sub amp. The speakers themselves sound fine, but they distort(probably the HU distorting) around volume level 32. I think the speakers are missing some midbass because of the reduced power, but my sub makes up for it so it doesn't bother me.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have the db6501 installed running off the stock HU in my sport, with the rear speakers disconnected and run straight into my sub amp. The speakers themselves sound fine, but they distort(probably the HU distorting) around volume level 32. I think the speakers are missing some midbass because of the reduced power, but my sub makes up for it so it doesn't bother me.
Damn level 32 is pretty loud, LOL...I have the same questions as the OP, do you think you could go into a little more detail. As far as clarity and loudness the stock speakers paired with my sub/amp sound fine I simply just want to move the stage up with the tweeters. Would you say its an improvement over the stock speakers.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Damn level 32 is pretty loud, LOL...I have the same questions as the OP, do you think you could go into a little more detail. As far as clarity and loudness the stock speakers paired with my sub/amp sound fine I simply just want to move the stage up with the tweeters. Would you say its an improvement over the stock speakers.
I'm wondering the exact same thing. The Polks are rated at 3 ohms with 93 db sensitivity, so they should output decently even with stock HU

·
Thunder Up!
2,559 Posts
Infinity only has a few products in the car audio realm that I would ever touch. 99% of their car audio stuff is pretty crappy and most of their home audio stuff is also somewhat shotty also, besides a few solid, budget speakers (primus line). With a backing from Harman, they've definitely got some R&D though

Anyways, there is much better out there for the money. Look at places like DIYMA, etc in their classifieds. You can pick up the JBL ms-62c set for around $220

Reduced power due to reduced efficiency, along with other things. The midbass is non-existent likely because it's just not that great of a speaker lol and the fact you're driving it with very very little power.

Sorry I never replied to your last e-mail. I'm trying to find that pic of your amp again and help you out, unless you got everything figured out. It definitely looked like you needed to change a few things on the amp.

As far as what you said about the stage....what do you mean by 'move the stage up with the tweeters'? If you actually mean move all sound up on the dash, then you're going to need DSP.

·
Thunder Up!
2,559 Posts
I'm wondering the exact same thing. The Polks are rated at 3 ohms with 93 db sensitivity, so they should output decently even with stock HU
MANY manufacturers rate sensitivity differently. They could not even be close to that. Not to mention that's likely on-axis. Put them off-axis and your dB's drop quickly

·
Registered
34 Posts
Sooner,

No big deal about emailing me back. I have the sub/amp tuned to my liking a lot of my complaints came from low quality mp3's. My HQ itunes m4a files sound amazing! (At least for me and my opinion)

About moving the stage up is basically I wanted the voices or highs to come from tweeters at the listening level instead of down from the door speaker. My past 3 vehicles had tweeters so these just sound different because of the location.

·
Thunder Up!
2,559 Posts
Sooner,

No big deal about emailing me back. I have the sub/amp tuned to my liking a lot of my complaints came from low quality mp3's. My HQ itunes m4a files sound amazing! (At least for me and my opinion)

About moving the stage up is basically I wanted the voices or highs to come from tweeters at the listening level instead of down from the door speaker. My past 3 vehicles had tweeters so these just sound different because of the location.
Yeah the only way to raise the stage is time alignment (and EQ never hurts either). Rattles can hinder the perception of where sound is coming from also.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I would definitely say the db6501's are an improvement over stock just because of the added clarity with the tweeters. I also turned SVC off so my volume level is the same at any speed so I know what level i am at, and I don't have to deal with the car turning it up when I go faster. I also hear no sound difference removing the rear speakers and moving the sound stage to the front, However, in the rear seats the sound is terrible because it is almost all bass, so you have to consider that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.