Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my wife has a 03 accord coupe ex-l that she bought brand new back in 03 and in the last couple years we have been having some steering slash alignment issues. I don't drive the car that much but when I do its very annoying to me.

I remember a couple years back when you take off from a stop the steering wheel would rock left and right until you got up to around 30 or 40 mph. It was really strange i took the car for a balance and rotation and it went away until later when we rotated the tires again. Kinda made me think one of the tires is bad or a rim is bent but I cant tell for sure. So we just rotated the tires back and left it for now. I think this all started after we bought a new set of Goodyear tires.

The other problem we have is that I have always noticed that the steering has always been really tight and like if there is any type of crown in the road the car will pull its self in that direction pretty hard. Not like my Avalon or Celica which seem to drive straight on the same roads. But about 2 weeks ago I noticed the Accord has been pulling hard to the right regardless of which lane I am in. I took it to Firestone for my lifetime alignment check told them it was pulling hard to the right picked it up the next day and it rides exactly the same so I guess I gotta take it back to them again or to another Firestone which is a pain to leave the car there all day for a alignment.

Has anyone else had the stiff steering feel or alignment issues with their Accord? Or the wobbling steering wheel? Could it be a bent rim or bad tires?

·
Registered
13 Posts
when i hit the gas my wheel goes crazy. i think thats the norm for all FWD cars. i dont know what u mean by tight, stiff perhaps?

·
Banned
294 Posts
So my wife has a 03 accord coupe ex-l that she bought brand new back in 03 and in the last couple years we have been having some steering slash alignment issues. I don't drive the car that much but when I do its very annoying to me.

The other problem we have is that I have always noticed that the steering has always been really tight and like if there is any type of crown in the road the car will pull its self in that direction pretty hard. Not like my Avalon or Celica which seem to drive straight on the same roads. But about 2 weeks ago I noticed the Accord has been pulling hard to the right regardless of which lane I am in. I took it to Firestone for my lifetime alignment check told them it was pulling hard to the right picked it up the next day and it rides exactly the same so I guess I gotta take it back to them again or to another Firestone which is a pain to leave the car there all day for a alignment.

Has anyone else had the stiff steering feel or alignment issues with their Accord? Or the wobbling steering wheel? Could it be a bent rim or bad tires?
yes yes yes and now at ~93k, I just had my motor mounts replaced, my steering pump, both lines and steering fluid reservoir replaced new and only pending action is alignment 1 new tire + all 4 tires balanced and SHE IS AS GOOD AS NEW. I GOT all the steering feel and still back and the engine is extra quiet at idle and I even got my idle down.

I would say if that is what is happening, something just ain't right and it has to be within your system. I also had a pulled something in one of the tires and it had to be replaced but the steering was still jittery. Now, it has improved almost 75-90 percent.

·
Super Moderator
4,311 Posts
My car was doing that and it turned out to be the inner tie rods. When I rocked the wheel side to side there was a clunk. Also there was a side to side play on both wheels when i jacked up the car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i need to jack up the car and check that..but it's freezing cold here and we just got about a foot of snow in Virginia Beach!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts