Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering a '14 accord, v-6. I was told the accord 's transmission alternates between 4 and 6 cylinders, depending on the type of driving. I know little about this, but I do notice this shifting when accelerating, which I don't notice on the '14 Camry. The Camry ride feels much smoother. Am I accurate with this assumption?

·
Registered
109 Posts
The engine shuts down 3 cylinders when the load is light. I feel significant vibrations associated with VCM. Not all feel it though. Mpg is ridiculous with VCM. I get about 40mpg. I have the v6 sedan. Make sure you test the exact car you drive off the lot. Not all are created equal. My tranny is defective and will end up being replace next week. Otherwise it's a great car!

·
Basque Red Fury
1,046 Posts
The transmission doesn't do it. The engine switches between 3 and 6 cylinders by shutting off one bank. It is very hard to tell when it's running in 3 cylinder mode in most vehicles, so I'm guessing you had a bad example. It sure seems to help highway mileage. The Camry is pretty solidly outgunned by the Accord in most aspects... design, power, economy, handling, features... I wouldn't buy one.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have VCM on my '11 Pilot V6 and '13 Accord Touring. I don't notice any shifting/issues on either.

Accord V6 engine and transmission are silk. Smooth and precise.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
The transition between 6 cyl and 3 cyl Eco mode is seamless. The engine and transmission work together for a silky smooth tandem

·
Registered
16 Posts
I could tell on my 8th gen when it shut down cylinders and it was annoying to a certain extent, mostly during highway driving. On my 9th gen, however, I don't notice it at all. I think once you get used to it you will find it a very smooth ride.

·
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A
10,162 Posts
The Camry is pretty solidly outgunned by the Accord in most aspects... design, power, economy, handling, features... I wouldn't buy one.
I wouldn't say the Accord solidly outguns the Camry.

Design? Subjective
Power? Equal.
Accord V6:
278 hp @ 6200 rpm / 252 lb-ft @ 4900 rpm​
Camry V6:
268 hp @ 6200 rpm / 248 lb-ft @ 4700 rpm​

Accord V6 (source: Car and Driver):
Zero to 60 mph: 5.6 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 13.9 sec
Rolling start, 5–60 mph: 5.9 sec
Top gear, 30–50 mph: 3.3 sec
Top gear, 50–70 mph: 4.1 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 14.1 sec @ 101 mph
Top speed (governor limited): 125 mph​

Camry V6 (source: Car and Driver):
Zero to 60 mph: 5.8 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 14.1 sec
Rolling start, 5–60 mph: 6.1 sec
Top gear, 30–50 mph: 3.4 sec
Top gear, 50–70 mph: 3.7 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 14.3 sec @ 101 mph
Top speed (governor limited): 128 mph​

Economy? Equal
Accord V6
EPA city/highway driving: 21/34 mpg
Car and Driver observed: 23 mpg

According to fuelly.com, mostly between 24 and 29 MPG​

Camry V6:
EPA city/highway driving: 21/30 mpg
Car and Driver observed: 25 mpg

According to fuelly.com, mostly between 21 and 28 MPG​

Handling? In some ways they're equal while in other ways the Accord is better... such as in steering feel and nimbleness. Overall, edge to the Accord.
Accord V6
Braking, 70–0 mph: 178 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.82 g​

Camry V6
Braking, 70–0 mph: 173 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.83 g​

Features? Equal. The Accord V6 has some things the Camry doesn't have while the Camry V6 has some stuff the Accord doesn't have.

The Camry is also quieter and smoother. The Camry stereo is better and so is the leather quality.

You can also get the Camry SE with a V6, moon roof, and leather if you want power and a sporty look. You can't do that with the Accord Sport.

·
Basque Red Fury
1,046 Posts

Design? Subjective
Power? Equal.
Accord V6:
Camry V6:

Economy? Equal
Accord V6

Camry V6:

Handling? In some ways they're equal while in other ways the Accord is better... such as in steering feel and nimbleness. Overall, edge to the Accord.
Accord V6

Camry V6

Features? Equal. The Accord V6 has some things the Camry doesn't have while the Camry V6 has some stuff the Accord doesn't have.

The Camry is also quieter and smoother. The Camry stereo is better and so is the leather quality.

You can also get the Camry SE with a V6, moon roof, and leather if you want power and a sporty look. You can't do that with the Accord Sport.
You quote C&D for all stats, yet forget how they universally pan the Camry for being a soulless transportation appliance? Did you look back through the years, or just partially at one article? In fact, the SAME ARTICLE you took the Camry specs from, calls it "bland":
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/toyota-camry-se-v6-road-test-review

The figures you wrote definitely put the Accord ahead. Not by a blowout, but ahead nonetheless.

Interpreting design and aesthetics are always subjective. But look at it OBJECTIVELY. Since you're quoting magazines who are supposedly authorities or experts, can you name one magazine of repute that praises the Camry's exterior, for example? Or one that puts the handling of the Camry as better, or even on par to the Accord? Or further still, one that says that the Camry is engaging or fun to drive?

The Camry IS smoother. But chalk that up to a softer suspension. Car and Driver also has a reputation for maniacal driving. Look up the sort of tickets they've generated.

Disregarding comment about sport models, this thread is about the V6. And in any event, the Accord sedan 6MT has no Camry counterpart, period. I mean, did you not look at their most recent article about the Accord? When last did you see C&D go gaga over a FWD midsize family car? For reference:
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2013-honda-accord-sport-sedan-manual-long-term-test-update-review

I used to drive BOTH cars, sometimes on a daily basis. My boss had a 2012 Camry, which I'd move for her often. I then borrowed it many times after totaling my 09 Accord. Her car is definitely quiet. Which is great for her. See, I want to hear my car though. This is why I bought the intake.

There are better competitors to the Accord out there. Mazda 6 and VW Passat should be looked at FIRST before buying a Camry, but if silence and reliability are your thing, then the Camry will float your boat.

·
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A
10,162 Posts
You quote C&D for all stats, yet forget how they universally pan the Camry for being a soulless transportation appliance? Did you look back through the years, or just partially at one article? In fact, the SAME ARTICLE you took the Camry specs from, calls it "bland":
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/toyota-camry-se-v6-road-test-review
Maybe I'm missing it, but I don't see where they used the words "soulless transportation appliance." I do see where they say it's "bland" in terms of handling though... which is why I gave the nod to the Accord in the handling dept. in case you missed it.

Interpreting design and aesthetics are always subjective. But look at it OBJECTIVELY. Since you're quoting magazines who are supposedly authorities or experts, can you name one magazine of repute that praises the Camry's exterior, for example?
Even if no magazine praises the Camry's styling, they don't consider it ugly either. Car and Driver says this about the Camry:

Car and Driver said:
.... the seventh-generation sheetmetal, although not exactly head turning, looks contemporary and continues to be commendably slick....
Or one that puts the handling of the Camry as better, or even on par to the Accord? Or further still, one that says that the Camry is engaging or fun to drive?
Again, I never said the Camry had better handling than the Accord. I said in some ways they're equal, but overall the Accord is better.

I used to drive BOTH cars, sometimes on a daily basis. My boss had a 2012 Camry, which I'd move for her often. I then borrowed it many times after totaling my 09 Accord. Her car is definitely quiet. Which is great for her. See, I want to hear my car though. This is why I bought the intake.
I've driven both the current Camry and Accord. I have an uncle who owns the current Camry. I used to own a Camry. I see nothing wrong with it if someone's looking for a reliable and comfortable car.

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
Our VCM equipped 2013 Odyssey can pull down 29mpg hwy. that's pretty impressive.

Jay

·
Basque Red Fury
1,046 Posts
Maybe I'm missing it, but I don't see where they used the words "soulless transportation appliance." I do see where they say it's "bland" in terms of handling though... which is why I gave the nod to the Accord in the handling dept. in case you missed it.

Even if no magazine praises the Camry's styling, they don't consider it ugly either. Car and Driver says this about the Camry:

Again, I never said the Camry had better handling than the Accord. I said in some ways they're equal, but overall the Accord is better.

I've driven both the current Camry and Accord. I have an uncle who owns the current Camry. I used to own a Camry. I see nothing wrong with it if someone's looking for a reliable and comfortable car.
I'm not calling Motor Trend a top-line auto mag, but since we're on the subject, read their review of Camry's styling here:http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/1112_2012_hyundai_sonata_gls_2012_toyota_camry_le_and_2012_volkswagen_passat_se_family_court/viewall.html

Some design cues are okay, but they botched this Camry and the Lexus IS, amongst others.

I'm not saying it is awful, I'm just saying its competitors have passed it by. Why strive for mediocrity? And this is why we're on this forum, isn't it? We bought Accords.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Camry = dull, plain Jane, boring

Let's be real. In my opinion the Camry is a dud. It a decent car, but it is bland. The Camry is bought by many who used to buy Chevys and Oldsmobiles - who figured out that many Japanese brands were more reliable. I have observed many oldsters buy this stuff and think they get it. They don't.

In my opinion, Toyota adopted the GM disease. They cut corners and quality to achieve number 1 sales status.

My evaluation reveals that Camry has the soft, old Buick style ride and handling. Not very responsive compared to what's available.

Many people defending this car are doing what their fathers did before them. They frequently defend it or prefer it not based on a real comparison or evaluation, but due to blind brand loyalty. Just like dad used to defend Ford vs Chevy (or whatever), never considering the other brand.

Case closed. :wavebye:

·
Banned
784 Posts

Design? Subjective
Power? Equal.
Accord V6:
Camry V6:

Economy? Equal
Accord V6

Camry V6:

Accord V6

Camry V6

Don't forget about that darn timing belt on Honda V6 and maintenance free timing chain on Yota V6. It is not that hard to put on 100k miles in 4-5 years then have to perform that pain in the neck timing belt service on Honda V6.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Don't forget about that darn timing belt on Honda V6 and maintenance free timing chain on Yota V6. It is not that hard to put on 100k miles in 4-5 years then have to perform that pain in the neck timing belt service on Honda V6.

Score a good point for the defenders of dullsville

·
Banned
308 Posts
Guys why are you fighting a Camry vs Accord battle on a thread about VCM on the Accord?

To the Camry defender, obviously look at the header on this site. You are sorta coming into Boston and then yelling YANKEES RULE.

And to both of you, please don't get into a little B!tchfest when basically this comes down to preference on styling and driving characteristics. Based on the numbers they are indeed close.

·
Banned
784 Posts
Guys why are you fighting a Camry vs Accord battle on a thread about VCM on the Accord?

To the Camry defender, obviously look at the header on this site. You are sorta coming into Boston and then yelling YANKEES RULE.

And to both of you, please don't get into a little B!tchfest when basically this comes down to preference on styling and driving characteristics. Based on the numbers they are indeed close.
Who is fighting? I do like Boston better than the Yankees.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Personally I liked both, still do, but I purchased the V6 Accord and no complaints whatsoever...no rattles, wind noise, or any perceived changes whenever it transfers to 3cyl at speed. If and when it transfers over it seems to be so seamless I have to really pay attention to it on the highway to even notice any shifting to the 3cyl's. It might be luck of the draw that I purchased this Accord and no complaints. Additionally, for the price I wouldn't expect it to be perfect, just enjoyable to drive and reliable. And being my first Honda, I'd expect good reliability for many miles to come. Toyota looks to be a fine vehicle also, but in the end I believe I made the right choice for me at the time..

·
Banned
308 Posts
Who is fighting? I do like Boston better than the Yankees.
Sorry, just "discussing" the fine points of something that really comes down to subjectivity, and then quoting a bunch of C/D "stats" as if somehow they make the case crystal clear. You can go on for days in these kind of discussions so perhaps you make a thread titled "Accord vs Camry" and hash it out in there. There probably already is such a thread.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Toyota engines fail about twice as often as number 1 Honda

Engine Reliability – Top 10 Manufacturers
Manufacturer Failure Rate (%) Failure Rate (1 in x)
1 Honda 0.29% 1 in 344
2 Toyota 0.58% 1 in 171
3 Mercedes-Benz 0.84% 1 in 119
4 Volvo 0.90% 1 in 111
5 Jaguar 0.98% 1 in 103
6 Lexus 0.99% 1 in 101
7 Fiat 1.17% 1 in 85
8 Ford 1.25% 1 in 80
9 Nissan 1.32% 1 in 76
10 Land Rover 1.38% 1 in 72

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/mi...and-toyota-top-the-engine-reliability-ratings

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

·
Registered
29 Posts
The engine shuts down 3 cylinders when the load is light. I feel significant vibrations associated with VCM. Not all feel it though. Mpg is ridiculous with VCM. I get about 40mpg. I have the v6 sedan. Make sure you test the exact car you drive off the lot. Not all are created equal. My tranny is defective and will end up being replace next week. Otherwise it's a great car!
Hondafanboy.....Is Honda replacing the tranny under warranty? If so, how did you get them to finally replace for you? I have the same issue as you. I feel significant vibrations in VCM mode. It actually puts my foot to sleep when cruisng on the highway. Has been to the dealer 5 times so far and they say nothing is wrong and they can not feel the vibrations.....the techs, the service manager and the area service manager. Honda America has been in the process from day one. Any guidance you can provide would be most helpful. Taking it in yet again this week.

Kevin

1 - 20 of 27 Posts