Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
great news and back to back years to boot! Sure glad i bought a V6 instead of the I4... though that is a VG engine as well

·
Registered
462 Posts
Yup That! ^^^^

·
Basque Red Fury
1,046 Posts
I adore my engine. It's the willing heart of an outstanding car. Excellent hwy mileage, a V8-esque snarl, class leading power (by far).

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
I am very Happy with the 3.5L-V6 in our Odyssey. So smooth and quiet compared to the 3.5L that was in our Pacifica.

The 2.4L is not bad, either.

Jay

·
2013 Coupe EX-L v6 AT
12 Posts
Probably the best engine ive had in a car, perfect power and MPG what more could you ask for :)

·
Grinding Gears
269 Posts
Probably the best engine ive had in a car, perfect power and MPG what more could you ask for :)
Well, since you asked... Lower VTEC engagement point and better MPG? :D

In all seriousness, the Honda J35 is a great engine. On paper it does look a bit sub par, but in real-world applications it performs far better than expected.

·
Chicago Honda
126 Posts
If they could only do something about the poor tranny in the v6!.....I almost feel like 1st gear isn't even available because it shifts at like 9 mph which is wayyyyy too soon and then u have to step on it in 2nd to get the thing going. The only way to make first gear useable is to stand on it and ten you are going like 65 in 5 secs! But yeah, anything above 25 this engine and tranny are a beast!

·
2014 V6 EXL Sedan
2,056 Posts
If they could only do something about the poor tranny in the v6!.....I almost feel like 1st gear isn't even available because it shifts at like 9 mph which is wayyyyy too soon and then u have to step on it in 2nd to get the thing going. The only way to make first gear useable is to stand on it and ten you are going like 65 in 5 secs! But yeah, anything above 25 this engine and tranny are a beast!
We've had some discussions about this. Perhaps it is because it has 6 speeds instead of 5 like I'm used to, but I agree. It always seems like the car has already shifted 3 times just to go from 0 to 25mph. I'd almost rather the car just skip one of the gears....rev 1st a little higher and then shift to 3rd or something....I don't know the answer but I do know the car shifts and shifts and shifts all the time, and in suburban stoplight to stoplight driving it seems all a bit much!

·
Luv2Drum
119 Posts
"This unflappable V-6 is the best naturally aspirated 6-cyl. engine"

Unflappable....Me likes that word.:thmsup:

·
Registered
124 Posts
9th Gen 4-cylinder won last year

Wards in 2013 chose the 9th gen Accord Earth Dreams 4-cylinder as one the year's best engines.

·
Puts Ketchup on Steak
632 Posts

In all seriousness, the Honda J35 is a great engine. On paper it does look a bit sub par, but in real-world applications it performs far better than expected.
If an engine could be described as "addictive," the J35 would be it.

·
Registered
608 Posts

V6 optioned Accord needs to go on a diet, it's a heavy car at 3550 lbs. If it could lose two hundred pounds that would go a long way for better city mpg.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Both engines should be on that list. 2.4 is really the best N/A 4 cylinder bar none. Who cares about a Cruze diesel? It costs way too much extra money to be worth it. (i love diesels!)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
From Kelley Blue Book, another accolade for the 2014 Honda Accord.

2014 5-Year Cost to Own Awards: Best Mid-Size Car

Last year, the introduction of an all-new Honda Accord raised the gold standard of midsize sedans and coupes to a new high level. Standard Accord equipment includes a spirited engine, a backup camera with 8-inch color display, and a healthy audio system that features Pandora radio compatibility. Even with all that, the base 2014 Accord LX officially starts under $23,000, but transacts below $21,000 in most markets. That's a great place to start if you're a car looking to hijack the #1 spot in the KBB 5-Year Cost to Own competition. And while its nearest rivals come hungrily close, the Honda Accord is untouchable.

With all other cost-to-own markers being frighteningly equal, it's the Accord's strong resale value that sways the results its way. There's just no denying a well-earned reputation for quality and reliability, and the soothing truth that an Accord is brilliantly easy to operate.

Beyond the sedan and coupe body styles, the Honda Accord spins a near-flawless web of variety — from a fuel-conservative 4-cylinder to a power-liberal V6, as well as three transmissions: 6-speed manual, 6-speed automatic, and a PhD-worthy continuously variable automatic. New this year comes varietal icing on the cake: a 50-mpg hybrid model and a plug-in hybrid capable of 13 miles in electric-only mode.

The 2014 Honda Accord is the ablest car in a time of insanely able midsize cars. For the time being, at least, the twin virtues of high value and low cost-to-own don't have a more capable representative.

Source: http://www.kbb.com/new-cars/5-year-cost-to-own-awards/best-cto-mid-size-car/

·
Former H Master Tech
318 Posts
Great job Honda! Not suprised, they did a great job balancing HP, Economy, and smooth powermand with Honda reliability with the V6.
Both engines should be on that list. 2.4 is really the best N/A 4 cylinder bar none. Who cares about a Cruze diesel? It costs way too much extra money to be worth it. (i love diesels!)
Not a single N/A 4cyl made on the list at all. Looking at that list you can tell the editor who wrote that loves torque, because each engine listed makes a lot of it low in the powerband.

·
Registered
228 Posts
It really doesn't matter how many times the Accord gets a boost, the real story here is the many real world owners on forums like this, they drive their cars daily and many have problems. I haven't had any yet but from reading here I know what to look out for! I wonder what "healthy audio" system they were listening to? I listen mostly to an iPod, but the stereo systems could use a little help I think!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts