Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had 4wd vehicles the last few years (2008 Wrangler Unlimited, 2011 Tacoma TRD Sport) when I saw the 2013 redesign I knew an accord would be my next vehicle. I'm looking at buying a 2014 EX-L Coupe V6 w/nav, 6 speed manual. To anyone who has one of these... How do you like your car? How is the ride & handling? Gas mileage? Power? Any quirks or anything I should be aware of before I buy/test drive the car? Is the torque steer worse than a Mazdaspeed3? I know there are all kinds of reviews on Youtube and what not but i'd rather hear from people who actually own and drive one of these cars daily. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
564 Posts
OP, not to come off as a dick, but have you even bothered to browse around this forum for existing topics that address all your questions? We have a lot of experience and expertise around here. Please read what has already been said, then come back with your questions. We will be happy to help you, but no one here is gonna spoon feed you. It's okay to post questions that have been asked in the past, but yours are so basic and general that they give the impression that you are too lazy to do the simplest research before asking questions.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No worries about coming off as a dick, I get it. This is an internet enthusiast forum, I belong to several of them. Pretty much anything anyone says on here can be misinterpreted easily enough. FWIW, I research just about everything i'm not particularly familiar with EXTENSIVELY, lazy is one thing I am definitely not lol. I've been browsing this forum for about the last month, overall I gather that most everyone with a 9th Gen seem to love their car no matter what gearbox or engine they have. Everyone seems to get great gas mileage etc. I'm basically 100% committed to buying this car in the next week or two, I guess maybe I was just looking for reassurance or something? (I know, wrong place to look) I lease a 2013 civic sedan 5 speed manual but I've never driven it (girlfriends car) so Honda's are still sort of a mystery to me. Anyway, if a mod would kindly delete this thread, I guess I already have my answers. Thanks!

·
Registered
632 Posts
I'm enjoying my 2013 v6 coupe, coming from a 97 civic the comfort and refinement is staggering lol.
It's got more than enough power to please my inner child. I do wish the paint quality was better but oh well. Gotta take good care of her. FM radio quality is pretty crappy though, audio quality through usb sounds better than bluetooth too.

·
2013 Accord V6-6MT
2,573 Posts
With respect to performance, the only thing I wish for is a LSD. Otherwise, the Coupe V6 6MT is a certifiably quick car that is great fun to drive, while offering a good measure of luxury and refinement. I compared it to the Mustang, Focus ST, WRX, and VW Golf R. The final choice was easy for me, and I have no regrets whatsoever.

Kudos to Honda for offering a Coupe V6 6MT, a model which has sadly become rare these days. Get one while you can and enjoy it. :thmsup:

·
2013 EX-L V6-6MT
348 Posts
OP, not to come off as a dick, but have you even bothered to browse around this forum for existing topics that address all your questions? We have a lot of experience and expertise around here. Please read what has already been said, then come back with your questions. We will be happy to help you, but no one here is gonna spoon feed you. It's okay to post questions that have been asked in the past, but yours are so basic and general that they give the impression that you are too lazy to do the simplest research before asking questions.
The first few words of your post say it all. Why bother responding to the OP's questions if your response is only to scold him?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
2013 EX-L V6-6MT
348 Posts
I've had 4wd vehicles the last few years (2008 Wrangler Unlimited, 2011 Tacoma TRD Sport) when I saw the 2013 redesign I knew an accord would be my next vehicle. I'm looking at buying a 2014 EX-L Coupe V6 w/nav, 6 speed manual. To anyone who has one of these... How do you like your car? How is the ride & handling? Gas mileage? Power? Any quirks or anything I should be aware of before I buy/test drive the car? Is the torque steer worse than a Mazdaspeed3? I know there are all kinds of reviews on Youtube and what not but i'd rather hear from people who actually own and drive one of these cars daily. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Don't waste your money on the navi. The car is awesome though. I look forward to driving it every time I get in. The power is amazing. You get the feeling that you can easily blow anyone's doors off with a slight press of the accelerator. Trust me, you'll love it. And definitely stick with the 6 speed. The gas mileage isn't spectacular unless you're on the highway, but the enjoyment is well worth the extra cash for gas. As far as torque steering goes, yes it's there but not really an issue unless you're accelerating from low speeds. Definitely not noticeable on the highway.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
'14 Coupe EX-L V6 6MT
14 Posts
Get the V6 manual - USE the power band - i.e. keep the tachometer in the 4-6 K range - and NEVER, EVER wipe the smile off your face!!!!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Regarding your questions...the ride will be stiff but tolerable. If you're coming from a Tacoma it should feel pretty compliant but if you're expecting Camry like smoothness prepare to be disappointed. Gas mileage is quite good in my experience. I typically see 22-25 MPG during a New England winter and approximately 26-28 MPG during the warmer months. All of these results meet or beat their advertised estimates.

Torque steer will be better managed (but still quite evident IMO) as compared to the Mazdaspeed3. You will feel torque steer and wheel anomalies, even at highway speeds, if you're in a low gear. Merge onto a highway and keep it in third gear the entire way. You will feel the wheels do funny things as you approach the upper end of the tachometer. Also, be careful accelerating hard into and out of a turn.

Even so, for a heavy FWD vehicle it is quite tossable and feels solid enough while giving ample feedback that should allow you to correct anything before you get yourself into trouble.

If you're really picky, there have been reports about headlights/taillights not being aligned correctly causing paint to peel. You may want to look out for that. Make sure you pick your vehicle up during the daytime so you can closely look for damage caused by lot attendants or other test drivers.

Other than that, as long as you're looking for a competent daily driver that will provide decent gas mileage, excellent acceleration, and good reliability I think you'll be happy.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I came to the accord from an awd vehicle that had torque vectoring and handled like it was on rails. My coupe (similar to the one you want) doesn't handle as well but it is pretty good for what it is especially with the RSB update. It helps that it has almost 100 more hp/torque and weighs only a couple hundred more than the old car.

I got the Navi version. While the system is slow and can be infuriating, I've had chance to use it a few times and it performed well enough. If I had to do it again, I would still get the Navi because I'm directionally challenged :D

·
Registered
158 Posts
I really enjoy mine, I also go the Navi and while people are saying its not worth it I cant find a reason you wouldn't get a Navi, if it is something you do plan to use.

I got my 2014 Coupe EX-LN V6 AT W/ Wheel Locks for 32 OTD
Including free lifetime oil changes, inspections, and towing in VA and NC.

I felt as though it was a good deal :)

To answer your questions:
How do you like your car? GREAT
How is the ride & handling? GREAT for daily driving, maybe not on a circle track / drag stip (When did you last take your vehicle to one of them?)
Gas mileage? Depends on how you drive - Drive like you are constantly racing and you will average 17/18MPG - Drive like a grandma/grandpa and you can average upper 20's/lower 30's. Drive in between and average inbetween (mid 20s)
Power? Great.. 278HP for a family car. In the powerband 4K-6K people are talking about you will feel like you are in a corvette.
Any quirks or anything I should be aware of before I buy/test drive the car? To me, no. I believe this is a perfect car if it is what you are looking for. It is not a racecar, it is also not a van, or SUV. It is a powerful, comfortable, feature rich, daily driver with more power than you can ask for in a car like that.
Is the torque steer worse than a Mazdaspeed3? IDK I havent driven a MS3

·
Registered
25 Posts
Absolutely get the 6MT; I got the auto because I wanted white (can't get MT in the white) and I regret it daily; the auto sucks.

The car has plenty of power; you won't be disappointed there. It also corners nicely.

You can easily get 30MPG if you behave; and easily under 20 if you don't. It has many features to assist you knowing if you're driving economically or not.

The exhaust drones from 1800-2200RPM making it sound like an old Chevy Corsica. There's another thread on here about a company working to release an axle-back exhaust replacement that may help.

The Lane Departure Warning system is wrong at least 75% of the time so I had to turn it off in the first week I owned the car. The collision warning is wrong about half the time too but I am keeping it on for now.

The electronic steering is taking me a long time to get used to; it just feels....wrong. Hard to put a better description on it than that. It does the job but I don't like the feedback and the amount and timing of the assist.

I dislike the entertainment cluster, going so far as to unpair my iPhone from the Bluetooth because the car always assumes when I use voice controls on my iPhone that I want to dial (which I never do). If I can find a way to disable the entertainment system I will.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yes, its a question that has been asked quite a few times and answered on several posts, but I will also answer because I like talking about my car.

I have the EX-L V6 w/Navi. Unless you need to have Navi in your car, skip this expensive option and get a good Garmin (take the $1800 you will save and use it for mods). I love the car. Its exactly what I wanted and has met my expectation with exception to the quality of the sound system (covered here endlessly) and the functionality of the infotainment interface. With 278HP, a big V6 hanging over the front wheels, there is a hint of torque steer, but its not terrible. There is only so much you can ask from front wheels driving and steering the car. The traction control comes on and aids front wheel slippage on hard acceleration, but it is hardly severe. In contrast, the interruption from the traction control in my 350Z literally puts you into your seatbelt its so abrupt.

The car rides firm yet not harsh in my opinion, which I like, and while hardly a sports car, handles extremely well for such a large car. The steering is extremely smooth but does suffer from a lack of feel which seems to be common among Hondas and cars in general with electric power steering units.

Fuel economy with the Automatic is good, especially considering the performance. I get an average of about 22-23 mpg in mixed driving and have gotten as high as 34 on the highway. Expect at least 3mpg less with the manual.

I havent driven a manual version, but I have owned manual Hondas/ Acuras including an RSX Type-S. Honda makes the best FWD manual transaxles. Outstanding clutch feel and precise rewarding shifters makes driving rewarding. Sitting in a lot of stop and go traffic put me in an automatic this time, and while I would prefer driving a manual, I dont mind the automatic at all given my commute. Not having to constantly press the clutch every 10 seconds is a lovely luxury.

What the Accord offers in this price range, given it has no natural competition (the coupe, as there is not another midsize FWD coupe on teh market) is a sporty ride, good performance, nice interior space with a usable rear seat, nice sized trunk, and lets face it, pretty darn good looks.

·
Registered
101 Posts
<<There's another thread on here about a company working to release an axle-back exhaust replacement that may help>>

Borla already has it out, Ive got it! Rumor is Takeda is also working on one for the coupe.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Absolutely get the 6MT; I got the auto because I wanted white (can't get MT in the white) and I regret it daily; the auto sucks.

The car has plenty of power; you won't be disappointed there. It also corners nicely.

You can easily get 30MPG if you behave; and easily under 20 if you don't. It has many features to assist you knowing if you're driving economically or not.

The exhaust drones from 1800-2200RPM making it sound like an old Chevy Corsica. There's another thread on here about a company working to release an axle-back exhaust replacement that may help.

The Lane Departure Warning system is wrong at least 75% of the time so I had to turn it off in the first week I owned the car. The collision warning is wrong about half the time too but I am keeping it on for now. Debatable - Would you rather it warn you AFTER you are 1 foot into the other lane (and already in your accident) or when you are nearing the other lane to avoid an accident? Also It is not a perfect system - It operates based on road markings and if your roads are like mine... Well lets just say roads are not the best here. As for the FCW - It calculates speed and distance based on standard breaking, not the idea that you are going to JAM on your breaks. Again this feature is to help you avoid an accident IF YOU ARE UNAWARE,i.e texting, eating, looking away.

The electronic steering is taking me a long time to get used to; it just feels....wrong. Hard to put a better description on it than that. It does the job but I don't like the feedback and the amount and timing of the assist.

I dislike the entertainment cluster, going so far as to unpair my iPhone from the Bluetooth because the car always assumes when I use voice controls on my iPhone that I want to dial (which I never do). If I can find a way to disable the entertainment system I will.

Hope this helps.
Read comments in red above haha.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Adam, I have the 2013 EX-L V6 coupe w/navi 6mt and it puts a smile :) on my face every time I drive it. The manual transmission is silky smooth and connects you with the power of the V6, so you feel like you are one with the car. I love the NAVI, (except for voice commands) the blind spot and backup cameras and heated seats.

When I went to purchase mine there were only four available in the Bay Area, and had to have mine picked up from another dealership. You will be getting a "rare" car.

Enjoy!!!!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Adam - I traded my '06 Accord Coupe V6 MT6 Nav for a '13 Accord Coupe V6 MT6 EXL w/o Nav. The new car has more power, is quieter, has substantially more torque steer at about the same MSRP. I disliked the Nav in the 06 to the point I hung a Garmin on the glass to take a trip.

I like the bluetooth - calls are easy and clean. I like the ability to play MP3s on a USB or CD. I like the double display. The seats aren't as comfortable as the '06 but close.

Dislikes - I think the stereo system is horrid. That subject has been beat to death in this forum. I am waiting for the 13-001 upgrade and the Siri upgrades to the audio system.

All in all, I have no regrets. I got a heck of a deal as these are super slow movers in this neck of the woods and the dealer was motivated on the last day of 2013 to get if off the lot. I enjoyed my '06 but this is a better, more refined car.
Mike

2013 Nissan Pathfinder Plat/Premium
2013 Honda Accord EXL Coupe V6 MT6 MSM
2006 Honda S2000 NFR

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi Adam,

I have a V6 EX-L Coupe with NAV in MANUAL so basically exactly what it is you're looking to get.

The torque steer is pretty noticeable but the car has some good torque and power. The nav is OK and does its job but the entire info-system can be a bit laggy (when inputing data for example) or when switching from NAV to INFO to PHONE, to AUDIO, etc.

Sometimes it glitches out. Im sure its software/firmware related and will probably get addressed once enough people complain about it. Ride quality is pretty good from factory, not to harsh, and not too soft. Steering can be a tad disconnected (or light) due to its electronic steering (no rack/pinion). Other than that, I highly recommend you pay close attention to the cluster/dash when sitting and driving at your chosen seat posture/settings because in my case, at 6feet and with the seat at its lowest position, I was not able to see the top of my gauge cluster. I posted something about it in the past.

Hope this helps and Good luck!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts