Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll honestly admit I'm not a fantastic driver. In my youth I believed I was, particularly in my ITR, that delusion came to an abrupt end when I wrote off my heavily modded WRX trying to 4 wheel drift on bend in the middle of a built up area; I was in my early 20's forgive my idiousy. Since then my only other truly fast car was the 911 Carrera S which was a fantastically awesome beast 0-60 in 4.6secs and on to 187mph.
The crash totally effected my driving style, to what I would consider now as very fast straight line confidence but cautiously quick into and out of corners.

For example being from Europe, I did what all Europeans do when they buy a Porsche, taking a road trip to Germany to visit the Porsche factory and set a lap time on the great nurburgring.. I pumped out a blistering sub 12 minute lap... approximately 3.5 full minutes slower than a Porsche test driver could get it round in :D I was nervous, it was my pride and joy and I wasn't writing it off for the sake of a good time.

I'm getting to the point give me chance.

I'm going to say something controversial on a majority US member based forum. American performance/muscle cars in the rest of the world are genuinely considered a joke. Its perceived they do one thing well, they go fast in a straight line. What I have come to realize after my 2 years of living here, is American performance cars are not a joke at all. Your road infrastructure is entirely different to anything I have ever seen before. I work 13 miles away and make 4 turns to get to work, 2 of those are on/off ramps. No twists, banking corners, large 3 lane roundabouts etc. American performance cars completely cater for the US market perfectly. I have a new respect for them. They are very fast in their natural habitat.

European performance mind set is
  1. Handling
  2. 0-60
  3. 1/4 mile
  4. looks
  5. bhp/torque figure bragging rights
US developed cars seem more
  1. bhp/torque figure bragging rights
  2. 1/4 mile
  3. 0-60
  4. looks
  5. Handling
Now here's is where I make my some what obvious and biased point... finally :) The Accord v6 has never to my knowledge been released in the UK, we have a range topping 2.2 liter Vtec which is ok-ish and extremely reliable. Why, because the Accord is not supposed to be fast by the EU measuring stick, its too rollypolly for our winding county lanes. However, in my opinion the V6 is an awesome "wolf in sheeps clothing" for want of better words in America. It is fast, I would go as far as to say its really fast, not supercar fast or M5/AMG or v8 mustang fast but apples to apples in terms of approximate money, take the claimed 5.6 second 0-60, which I fully believe, then take what people think is fast a v6 mustang, gti, WRX, v6 camero, ST, speed3 the list goes on, none of these will embarrass it in a straight line or a fairly cornerless road.

All this talk on this forum of the v6 lack of steering feel...so what? The fact that it has heaps of body roll...so what? Its not rwd...so what? I'm not taking it on a track or entering a drift competition, I'm using it as 95% of people do with their cars or even their performance cars, i'm getting from A-B on normal roads quick enough to excite me.

I'm going out on a limb here for fanboi flamage, ego stroker of the year and Mr "I must justify my new car", and I'm going to say, I don't think there is a 2014 car with 4 doors, sub 30k, that actually has safety and semi luxury features that can touch the 2013+ v6 as a package.

In conclusion I think the v6 is a brilliantly, understated, fast car, with plenty of grip and I don't have any issue with it body rolling like a 1990's jeep.

Please feel free to tell me I'm an idiot who just spent way to many paragraphs talking utter rubbish? :D but I'm curious if anyone strongly disagrees or agrees.

Reactions: Midnight Mystery

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Very we'll written piece. I thoroughly enjoyed reading from beginning to end. Welcome to DA :)

·
Registered
485 Posts
For most people, handling doesn't really matter. As long as you can drive straight, make turns and u turns, that's all the handling anyone needs.

Yes, all the talk is hot air. No one is going to be doing slaloms on a city street or highway.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Being an older guy and retired at this time, I think the V6 Accord was an excellent choice for my tastes. I think you're spot on really, at least imo. Just enough quality and reliability to keep things interesting with the capability to tweak the aesthetics if desired. Having had some nice cars myself, both luxury and performance types, this was a very happy compromise for me, couldn't be happier. Will be shopping for my wife's car this next week, wish she would also pick up a Honda but she's bent on something else, it's her Birthday present so she can get whatever she wants. God forbid if I picked it out for her and the vehicle had some problems, I'd never hear the end of it. I know I'm sold on Honda as a choice, so far it's been one of my best decisions $$/value wise. Call me crazy but I actually like the audio and navigation system too! Good luck with yours and thanks for the write-up!

·
6 Cylinders and 6 Gears
721 Posts
Nice Post!

Be sure to check out the latest issue (November) of Car and Driver magazine. They do a detailed comparison of the Porsche Carrera S vs. the new 7th gen. Corvette Stingray. There is also a lengthy article on the 50 year history of the 911.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Agree. It is very fast and pulls hard above 4K. No comparison with the 4 banger really. Handling wise I feel its very good and well damped. Certainly some body roll but it can go hard into a corner with no drama especially when you are on the gas. Its really a nice little luxury cruiser IMHO.. truly a wolf in sheep's clothing.

·
Rhymes with **** & Quick
1,314 Posts
I think the V-6 handles just fine, so long as you realize (and it sounds like you do) that it is a $27,000, FWD, large family sedan. In fact, it handles a lot better than the other cars in that category that I have test drove. It will go where you point it and the body roll is not that bad. The handling won't let you down as long as you drive like a "normal person". :)

But if you choose to buy, say, a Subaru BRZ or Scion FR-S for around the same price, I would be jealous.

Just as a point of reference, I used to own an M3 and 550i so . . . .

·
Registered
481 Posts
2009 535i - 2008 911 Carrera S Cab

wow, you sure like German cars like i do. I have owned 3 BMWs (1 current) and love the razor sharp handling. To me that is very important still. But... As I age I think in my case a V6 Accord Coupe is an excellent car and great bang for the $$. Its why I am considering one and sell or trade-in my 2006 330ci with 6-speed. Your 911 S must have been awesome to drive, I love those cars. Thanks for your excellent post, I also have one of those V8 Mustangs that will pair well with a potential new Accord

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Very well written, I enjoyed that.

We have the 18" wheels on our Tourings here in Canada which drastically helps with body roll. The 17" wheels I drove on a plain V6 was noticeably more "floaty". I think the car is a wonderful blend of performance, value, and comfort, and tech. There are some things I would change: Radio is sub par, entire imid interface laggy, 1st gear is useless as it'll shift to 2nd way too early killing acceleration at times, road noise is still there (not as bad as 8th gen though) ...and that [email protected]#[email protected]#$ dangerous drivers side mirror.

I have had some very good handling cars over the years. For the roads I'm driving on, the Accord is darn near perfect. No complaints here. Well maybe - Steering could certainly use more feel to it. One of the easiest and most comfortable cars to drive I have had.

·
Banned
308 Posts
I think the V-6 handles just fine, so long as you realize (and it sounds like you do) that it is a $27,000, FWD, large family sedan. In fact, it handles a lot better than the other cars in that category that I have test drove. It will go where you point it and the body roll is not that bad. The handling won't let you down as long as you drive like a "normal person". :)

But if you choose to buy, say, a Subaru BRZ or Scion FR-S for around the same price, I would be jealous.

Just as a point of reference, I used to own an M3 and 550i so . . . .
Good to know.....yeah I'm not going to track this car or anything but I sense that I'll get a more "premium" driving experience with the V6 which is why I'm leaning that way. Was just concerned about that statement I posted elsewhere from Automobile Mag that said the placement of the steering assist motor was completely different between the I4 and V6 and that made the V6 very "wandery" on the highway in their opinion. The best thing about BMWs IMO are that they have a composed ride yet the steering wheel sits there like a rock at 90mph on the highway and you don't need to keep making microadjustments to the wheel all the time to keep the car on course. That can get tiring.

·
Banned
308 Posts
Very well written, I enjoyed that.

We have the 18" wheels on our Tourings here in Canada which drastically helps with body roll. The 17" wheels I drove on a plain V6 was noticeably more "floaty". I think the car is a wonderful blend of performance, value, and comfort, and tech. There are some things I would change: Radio is sub par, entire imid interface laggy, 1st gear is useless as it'll shift to 2nd way too early killing acceleration at times, road noise is still there (not as bad as 8th gen though) ...and that [email protected]#[email protected]#$ dangerous drivers side mirror.
I have had some very good handling cars over the years. For the roads I'm driving on, the Accord is darn near perfect. No complaints here. Well maybe - Steering could certainly use more feel to it. One of the easiest and most comfortable cars to drive I have had.
Yeah it appears this is universally panned. Literally almost a dealbreaker for my wife. Unfortunately for her I've decided to use my over-rule power to just go ahead and buy the car anyway since it is checking all the other boxes well and take the chance that she will get used to it OR I will be able to spend not a huge amount of money to replace that glass with a normal mirror glass myself in DIY. IMO that wide angle is useless as a benefit and just makes the thing look weird. Hopefully as there are many who seem to agree, a market will develop to buy a replacement glass piece that is flat.

·
Rhymes with **** & Quick
1,314 Posts
Good to know.....yeah I'm not going to track this car or anything but I sense that I'll get a more "premium" driving experience with the V6 which is why I'm leaning that way. Was just concerned about that statement I posted elsewhere from Automobile Mag that said the placement of the steering assist motor was completely different between the I4 and V6 and that made the V6 very "wandery" on the highway in their opinion. The best thing about BMWs IMO are that they have a composed ride yet the steering wheel sits there like a rock at 90mph on the highway and you don't need to keep making microadjustments to the wheel all the time to keep the car on course. That can get tiring.
I was paying attention to this due to recent posts here, but I haven't found myself readjusting steering on straight portions of the highway with any regularity. Maybe the alignments were off for those who complain about the wandering?

·
Rhymes with **** & Quick
1,314 Posts
Yeah it appears this is universally panned. Literally almost a dealbreaker for my wife. Unfortunately for her I've decided to use my over-rule power to just go ahead and buy the car anyway since it is checking all the other boxes well and take the chance that she will get used to it OR I will be able to spend not a huge amount of money to replace that glass with a normal mirror glass myself in DIY. IMO that wide angle is useless as a benefit and just makes the thing look weird. Hopefully as there are many who seem to agree, a market will develop to buy a replacement glass piece that is flat.
Actually, what you need to do is to adjust the side mirrors so that the driver cannot see the sides of the car (or so you can see just barely the door handles). Then the mirror would work exactly as intended to eliminate the blind spot. I wouldn't let the mirror be a deciding factor; your wife would get used to it.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I agree with you completely and I think you hit the nail square on the head.

I've never driven in Europe, but every time I walk or drive by a US muscle car I sort of just chuckle to myself. Sure, it has 350-400 HP, looks really bada$$ and all that, but it just basically goes fast in a straight line and that's it. On a curvy twisty road, I'd be willing to bet that I could pose a serious challenge to one of those cars in my old 160 HP 2003 Accord...just simply due to the handling. So, I've never really understood the appeal of those cars...especially considering the poor fuel mileage. However, I agree that given the US road system not having as many curvy, twisty roads as in Europe, the muscle car is right at home here.

And yes, the Accord V6 has been described by many professional automotive journalists as a wolf in sheep's clothing. Very good power (nearly 300 HP), very reliable, near luxury features, great technology, very safe, good handling...all in a package under $30K. What's not to like?

I'm on my third Accord right now (as of three weeks ago) and until some other car maker can come along and offer a total package that's as good as the one from Honda, I'm not going anywhere. :D

P.S. I'm glad you survived all of those crashes. Be careful out there! :thmsup:

·
Banned
308 Posts
Actually, what you need to do is to adjust the side mirrors so that the driver cannot see the sides of the car (or so you can see just barely the door handles). Then the mirror would work exactly as intended to eliminate the blind spot. I wouldn't let the mirror be a deciding factor; your wife would get used to it.

Yeah that's what I've done. Now that I've pretty much decided this is the car I want, I'm not gonna go shopping for Altima or something that I hate just because of the mirror. She'll get used to it (or if you know my wife, she'll mention it every time she's not in a good mood) and if there are too many comments then I'll endeavor to spend $25 on a new piece of glass to pop in there at some point. This mirror issue is not "deal breaker" level of materiality in my mind so I'm not gonna allow her to break the deal over it.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
the Real Performer is the V6 Speed manual coupe.

The Sedan is good but its not going to touch the 6-6.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Good post! In terms of handling, the body roll (I should mention that I drive a V6 coupe) doesn't bother me too much until I drive through the large hills with all the twists and turns. As for going from point A to B (and as long as I don't speed down the road) the handling is perfectly fine IMHO.

·
Registered
123 Posts
So, I've never really understood the appeal of those cars...especially considering the poor fuel mileage.
I can tell you with a great degree of certainty, my last 6-sp vette got excellent gas mileage better than the V6 Accord, and though at nearly twice the price of the Accord it handled twisties just fine. Though the Accord is a great value, performance wise my Accord has nowhere the handling characteristics of the vette. If I still had the resource's today, I still would have made the same decision, I don't need the speed anymore..

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I can tell you with a great degree of certainty, my last 6-sp vette got excellent gas mileage better than the V6 Accord, and though at nearly twice the price of the Accord it handled twisties just fine. Though the Accord is a great value, performance wise my Accord has nowhere the handling characteristics of the vette. If I still had the resource's today, I still would have made the same decision, I don't need the speed anymore..
I'm glad you're doing so well in terms of the gas mileage. I was thinking more of comparing a muscle car to the I4 CVT but that's not really a fair comparison. The real test is how your vette stacks up against the V6 Accord and it sounds like it's doing better so more power to you. :thmsup:

My comment about the handling of US muscle cars may be more of a criticism of the person who might be driving it. As an example, I've been on twisty roads with muscle cars behind me on more than a few occasions in my former 2003 Accord and (not joking here) I always was able to create a pretty decent sized gap on them in the turns. Of course, they would catch up to me in the straights with their superior HP but I'd lose them again in the turns. So, either 1) the muscle cars don't handle too well in the twisties or 2) the driver behind me isn't too skilled or 3) the driver behind me could keep up but chose not to for some reason.

I think it's probably a little bit of both 2 and 3 above. Anyone who has seen that Jeff Gordon Pepsi commercial on YouTube knows that the Camaro can handle quite well. (Note: the driver in that commercial is actually a top instructor at Skip Barber and also does stunts in movies...it's not Gordon doing the actual driving).

Anyway, I digress and I'll shut up now! :paranoid:

1 - 20 of 60 Posts