Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

accord v6 touring or Touring Hybrid

5K views 29 replies 16 participants last post by  Nossan 
#1 ·
I have never really looked at driving a hybrid because all of then never appealed to me. But after reading reviews of the new accord hybrid this got me thinking about it now. I drive about 30k miles in a year. I have a 100 mile round trip for my daily drive. Right now with my v6 i get about 22 to 24 mpg. Just the idea of being able to get 45mpg makes me want to look at the new hybrid.

I want to compare they hybrid to the V6 as I drive on now.

If im doing this right I i think i would save about 38 bucks a week gas if I can get 45mpg. Now i may always get that but from the reviews, many are able to get that or better.

What do you all think? Would it be a better to get a hybrid with all the driving that I do?

#2 ·
In your situation, assuming your calculations are correct, the Hybrid is certainly the more sensible choice. Comparing only the MSRP price difference between the V6 Touring and Hybrid Touring, the ~$1500 will be more than made up in a year's worth of driving. Of course, depending on negotiations, the price difference could be much larger (in favor of the V6) as wiggle room may be very small depending on how much stock of Hybrids are available in your area.

Also, since you do drive so much, maintenance is something else to think about as well. The V6 will need to have the timing belt replaced at around the 105K mile mark, and possibly even the water pump at the same time. I'm not sure what sort of maintenance the Hybrid's will require, but it is something to take into consideration when working out the details.

If maintenance costs are low, then, practicality-wise, the Hybrid wins hands down. With that said, many on this forum are claiming near or low 40's mpg on the highway with just the regular 2.5L I4, so if I were in your shoes, I would expect the Hybrid to perform closer to or better than 50 mpg for the extra $10K+ to be worthwhile.

But I digress. If you have narrowed your choices down to the two, your best bet is to drive both and decide whether if you place practicality higher, or raw power higher in your buying decision; which is really the only thing going for the V6 anyway. ;)

#26 ·
which is really the only thing going for the V6 anyway. ;)
I beg to differ. The big draw to the V6 for me was the traditional automatic. Additionally it's just a more pleasurable drive. I've owned 4 bangers for the last 14 years, after what I was through the the Nissan CVT it'll be a decade before I consider another CVT. Time will tell, everyone says Honda will make good if there's a problem and I sure they will. Personally, I'm done being a guinea pig for such a large purchase price.

#3 ·
Maintenance is not to bad on the v6. I always change water pump when I do the timing belt. My current car has been and over all good car. I would like to get good gas mileage but still have some power. going from a v6 to a i4 may not be as easy to me as I thought though but with the hybrid, I can still get my torque and 45mpg. I will just have to research both and see which i like more. I was going to get the exl version but after doing a full retro to my car, I want the stock led headlights. I would rather have it all come from the factory so I dont have to mess with installing new headlights in the car. Just buy the car with all the options I like. Plus with me keeping my current v6, I can always just jump back into this car.

#5 ·
Yeah, I definitely agree with you about having it all come from the factory. I sort of regret not going with the Touring for the LED headlights myself, and swore I would not do a retrofit, but here I am again... :paranoid:

Since you are planning on keeping your current 8th gen V6, then it would make sense to go with the Hybrid and have the best of both worlds. Granted, the 9th gen V6's power delivery and fuel economy are significantly improved, the Hybrid is going to be more practical every time - especially if stop-and-go traffic is taken into account.

#4 ·
If you like the power of the V6, you'll miss some of that in the Hybrid. It doesn't have the same feel or smoothness that the V6 has (I'm comparing my older V6. The 2013/14 V6 sounds like it is a little more powerful.)

It has decent low end torque, but I bet it doesn't feel much better than the 4 cyl, even though the test times show it's faster. I haven't driven a 2013 Accord 4 though.

I'm not sure I would get a Hybrid. I have the same powertrain in the PHEV, but the thing I enjoy most is running it electric only. Hybrid mode is just a little less enjoyable and I miss the V6 once in a while.

#6 ·
Given the distance of your commute you should consider the Passat TDI. Less expensive to buy than the hybrid and long term will be less expensive to maintain (no battery to replace and from what I've read diesel is less expensive than gas engines to maintain). I don't have any experience with the Passat or diesel but folks seem to love the Passat TDI. You would have to give up some 0-60 acceleration though.

I bought the Touring v6 and love it. All my driving is either city, or highway for vacations, so no commuting for me. I would have considered the TDI if I had more of a commute. I'm not a hybrid kind of guy.

#29 ·
I was seduced by the Passat TDI. But the car is about $32,000 when equipped properly. Diesel can cost up to .70-cents more a gallon. Plus you have to use Urea every 10,000 miles. And now let's talk about VW's beyond awful reliability. It scares me...really scares me.

Sure you see a lot of VW's on the road with high miles...but ask VW owners how much they've paid to keep it on the road for all of those miles.

Go with the Accord.

#7 ·
I would consider 2013 V6 as well. It can deliver a high MPG numbers in long commute without much of stop and go traffic. My 2013 V6 Touring gets more than 30 MPG average during winter time and more than 32 MPG during summer time. I have 65 miles commute each way (50% of it is interstate highway).

#8 ·
Really depends on how you drive it. The new accords, even the v6, are all very fuel efficient.

#10 ·
wow you get that with your v6? that is nice. I may need to read up more on the v6. I can only get that now if i drive it slow. I drive on cruse at 80mph so was thinking the hybrid would do better at those speeds.

#20 ·
I wasn't sure where you stood on the practicality balance, but if it helps my best tank to date was 34.1 mpg; and that was driving very conservatively between 55-65 mph, with very little traffic, fair weather, and mostly on the highway. So yeah, the possibility to have great fuel economy exists, especially if your commute has long, flat stretches of highway. Nowadays though, in the cold, I am seeing anywhere between 24-28 mpg per tank on the same routes. It's still terrific for a V6, the ride is quite refined and luxurious, but the Hybrid will still have a distinct advantage, regardless of weather, or traffic conditions.

However, there is something that needs to be said about throwing down the hammer for a small spirited run. :naughty: It is glorious! The 9th gen has been tested to put down around 32 WHP and about 38 lb-ft WTQ more than the 8th gen (coincidentally, also a 2008):

http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-article?article_id=1123025&page_number=2

My slight bias would say that the V6 Touring would be a happy medium between your current 8th gen and the Hybrid Touring: you get the benefit of better fuel economy, while also getting more useable power at the same time - not to mention all of the other enhancements and upgrades as well. :thumbsup:

#12 ·
Some I4 drivers are reporting high highway MPG figures. But it seems to me that if they were driving a hybrid under the same conditions that be doing even better. Seems like people want to compare the 40 MPG highway they're getting on their I4 with the EPA estimated 45 MPG highway on the hybrid. So if a car rated for 36 gets 40, then shouldn't a car rated for 45 get 50? It's the same percentage increase.

I've talked to a TON of dealers about the Hybrid. I was calling them before many of them even knew it existed. Many of them will scare you into thinking that you're gonna have to pay list price or more. Not true.

When I priced out the EX-L back at the end of November I got two prices for about $31,000, a couple at $32,000, a few at MSRP of $32,695 and one at $34,659 (MSRP + $2,000!). Recently I've gotten two quotes just a tad above $31,000.

Had gotten one quote on a Touring Hybrid for $34,000. Another quote for $31,860 - but it was gone before I could react.

So don't get bullied by dealers trying gouge you on the Hybrid. Some are reasonable and fair in their pricing. It's still higher in relation to MSRP or invoice vs regular Accords. But there are dealers willing to play ball.

#13 ·
Hybrids get better milage in city stop and go driving because they use regenerative braking to help recharge the battery and shut down the engine when the car is stopped.

However, the big high time, high mileage maintenance item will be replacing the battery pack. All batteries wear out from charge/discharge cycles. For example, Apple estimates 800 cycles on their lithium ion batteries in iPhones and iPads. I think Ford only warrantees their hybrid car battery packs for five years or 50,000 miles. Replacing the battery pack could be at least a couple of thousand dollars which would certainly reduce the money saved at the gas pump. Of course you won't have to worry about replacing the timing belt because all Honda's new engines use timing chains instead of belts.

#14 ·
Hybrids get better milage in city stop and go driving because they use regenerative braking to help recharge the battery and shut down the engine when the car is stopped.

However, the big high time, high mileage maintenance item will be replacing the battery pack. All batteries wear out from charge/discharge cycles. For example, Apple estimates 800 cycles on their lithium ion batteries in iPhones and iPads. I think Ford only warrantees their hybrid car battery packs for five years or 50,000 miles. Replacing the battery pack could be at least a couple of thousand dollars which would certainly reduce the money saved at the gas pump. Of course you won't have to worry about replacing the timing belt because all Honda's new engines use timing chains instead of belts.
I believe V6 engines still have the timing belt.

#19 ·
You'd have to be one of those very early adopter types to go for the Hybrid at this point. ... And good look finding anything around SF or LA areas. They must be getting pre-ordered, going straight to customers. 2 units within 100 miles of LA and SF.

#21 ·
I wonder how the pick up is while on the hwy with the hybrid. I know with the v6 its very strong even while going 80mph. even the i4 pick up will while on the hwy. Anyone know if only the I4 in the hybrid is making all the power above 45 or if it will still use the electric motor? This may be a dumb question but I do not know. lol hybrid stuff is still new to me. I was hoping some of the new hybrid owner would let us know.

#22 ·
I think the electric motor helps the gasoline engine when necessary but that's just an educated guess. However, I suggest that you do a Google search on the 2014 Accord hybrid and someone has posted the answer.

#28 ·
Hmmm... well, sometimes.

The Hybrid can also run electric only above 45mph. And can run electric w/gas engine as well. I'm still a little unclear on what's happening when both run, as some have said the electric motor drives the wheels when the gas is running to drive the generator.

I had thought for a while that 55mph was the magic number, as I have seen the PHEV switch from electric only to gas/electric drive at that number. I later discovered you can run electric only in the 60-65mph range as well, as long as you only need low power.

As to timeshifter's comment, yes, there is a range around 45-65mph where the car will indicate gas only. This happens in low power demand cases, while cruising at fixed speed. If you accelerate, the electric battery will indicate it is being used again.

#24 ·
I think the most cost effective option for the OP is an I4-EXL. Lower cost of entry and 40mpg highway for most here on the board. Just my .02

Jay

#25 ·
i want the led heads lights though. Thats why im looking at the hybrid.

#30 ·
I always wanted a passat and bought an '05. I refer to it to this day as my first AND LAST Volkswagon. While my Altima was lemon from the start the vw became a money pit at 50k miles...not that it didn't have it's problems under warranty covered no charge. Left me stranded 3 times in the first 36k. BEWARE.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.