Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if I made the right choice. I like my new accord, but not yet "In love" with it. I remember really loving my 2006 Acura RSX when I first got it (right amount of power, fun, practicality and MPG), and just feeling like the Accord is more an A to B type of vehicle. The RSX was totaled unexpectedly and I put lots of time and effort into aftermarket getting things just right on it. I was forced into scrambling to find a car to replace it.

Other cars I was evaluating:
Genesis Coupe 2.0T fairly impressed with the RWD and value (although turbo lag was bad and expensive to insure), didn't like Driver's seating position too much, rear seats were not very useful. Tunability much higher than the Accord
Scion TC loved the practicality but also expensive to insure, driving handling was decent not anything special
Scion FRS/Subaru BRZ Not expensive to insure, useless rear seats, but otherwise amazing car (not as fast as the Accord V6 though)
VW GTI loved practicality but didn't want the outgoing model and wasn't feeling the styling (new generation model comes Spring). Didn't get to drive the DSG tranny, also less perceived reliability. Tunability much higher than the Accord
Infinity G37 Would have to buy a pre-owned 2010 and couldn't find any that weren't in mint condition. And trunk was almost useless.
Jeep Compass CUV I know a different class, I have rented this vehicle, and could of got a loaded 4x4 at a great price, but Jeep may ax this model/platform. Also handling had quite a bit of body roll.

Things I don't like about the accord:
City MPG not that great
Handling could be better (always feel front heavy and not especially coupe like). Vague steering feel and not a corner carver
-Mediocre sound system and clumbsy Nav interface

Anyone else had these feeling or evaluating similar cars?

·
hot garbage
203 Posts
me, maybe the GTI, but their reputation for reliability and electrical issues would always be in the back of my mind.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Buyer's remorse. It will always happen. Genesis or G37 is hands down better than others (IMO). I loved my G, but needed the extra space. RWD and the top end were awesome.

Take solace knowing you have a safe, reliable vehicle that is still fairly quick. It is not a sports car.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Gen Coupe having that 10 year warranty was definitely nice peace of mind thing. But me being a somewhat tall driver found the head room barely sufficient.
I didn't have the buyers remorse with the Acura, but it was definitely a step up from the high mileage car I was getting out of.

They say that the EX-L V6 Coupe gets 5.4 0-60 and 13.9 1/4 mile which would make it very close to the 335i and G37 but it's really a GT Crossover car and the handling I really enjoyed before is not there.

·
Registered
608 Posts
None of those impress me. GTI is an old underpowered engine, even with a tune it's still slower than the V6 accord. Genesis coupe - I'd rather just get a V6 mustang. Scion TC is not even in the same league as any of these cars.

The only car I still linger for is the Genesis Sedan (totally different than the coupe). The V6 edition will run neck and neck with an Accord V6 and is far more luxurious in terms of ride quality and comfort. The 5.0 absolutely frys it.

·
Registered
336 Posts
If I was to redo this now, I might actually have waited for the upcoming 2015 Genesis sedan, but I am in a slightly different mindset from when I first bought my Accord in May.

For me, I've learned to really love the Accord more and more each day over time. In the beginning, the gas mileage wasn't great, there was some creaking/rattling in the front and back, the steering wheel made a funny noise when turned, the transmission did a lot of gear hunting - overall, it seemed like sort of a wild ride, with glimpses of composure. Now at over 9,600 miles, the car has really broken itself in; every nitpick I had has either subsided or completely disappeared. The styling has really grown on me to the point where sometimes I can't stop staring at it - even well after I have parked and turned off the ignition to admire from a few steps away.

It still has some quirks to it, but it is definitely a car that I love and respect - especially after seeing some pretty horrific pictures of (and even in real life) accidents that people simply walk away from.

Give it some time to let the feelings sink in. There's a reason why you chose this car over others in the first place.

·
Registered
144 Posts
My just trade my GTI for the Accord cause i need a bigger car. (GTI was 2 doors). I'm gonna tell you something, is the best bang for your $$$ hands down. I had the GTI for 3 years and NEVER HAD any problem. I spend $600 in a ECU flash and that thing was a little rocket... from 200hp / 207tq to 269hp / 285tq. It was fun to drive... Buy now my priorities are different. All i can say is that i miss my GTI.

Here some pictures:

·
Registered
164 Posts
I personally have no regrets on my purchase, if the accord had awd it would be perfect. I actually have a subaru brz for summer, just a little fun car. The only thing is i wouldn't ever drive it in the winter as where I we get large snowfalls. At the end of the day the accord is a more comfortable car and my brz is just a fun car I take out on the weekends when its warm.
My Brz at the dealership before I took delivery of it

Attachments

·
Registered
144 Posts
The GTI makes donuts around the BRZ or FR-S dude! They are slooooooow!

·
Registered
127 Posts
The only other car I looked at besides my EX-L Coupe V6 X nav was the BRZ/FRS. Since I'm 33 and single I felt I would only attract high school girls are young asian girls. So, I passed on the BRZ/FRS.

·
CVT
514 Posts
HONDA genesis coupe? :D

·
Don't hate on my color!!
1,842 Posts
The Jeep and the FR-S/BR-Z have posted poor reliability scores. The tC looks weird, the GTI is an old design and expensive maintenance/reliability issues. The Genesis I don't see many of, but Hyundai resale value sucks. The Infiniti is a douche-mobile lol sorry

I'd choose the Accord coupe (especially a V6) over any of these.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Only one of them has won Car&Driver 10 best more then any other car made for 25+ years strait and actually deserved it.

·
Red 2013 Coupe V6 MT
13 Posts
Fun to shop

I had fun test driving other cars before getting my Accord. Even though the grass always looks greener on the other side of the fence (2015 Mustang!) I still like my Accord. It's just not economically practical for me to switch cars every few years. :(

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
You bought the wrong car. There’s nothing wrong with the Accord. It seems you just prefer a light-weight, short-wheelbase car with a dedicated sport suspension, preferably with RWD. The Accord is a daily driver. While it has a healthy dose of GT in it, a sports car it ain’t.

This might make you feel better. I just came from a 2010 GTI 6MT. Years ago I also had a 2002 RSX-S. There is no question I like my 2012 6-6 the most. Yes, the GTI and RSX-S were more playful. But they also required larger sacrifices. In particular their sport suspensions meant they had bad highway rides. If you weren’t tearing up a back country road, they were irritating. My 6-6 is by far a better-rounded car. Neither the GTI nor the RSX-S was even close in power to my 6-6. However I will admit that with an iron block, forged connecting rods/crankshaft and only 9-12 psi of boost, the GTI is woefully under boosted right from the factory. There are many GTI owners with ECU tunes and larger turbo units (KO4) that can easily pull 11 second quarters all day long. But do you really want to dump that kind of money into a car and never get it back?

If you evaluate your Accord based on sport only, you bought the wrong car. I suggest you appreciate your car for what it is and not for what it is not. Or admit that you bought the wrong TYPE of car for your tastes, sell it and get a sports car. There’s nothing wrong with that.

·
S mode
382 Posts
I find these kind of threads funny. If you use to drive a RSX then why not go for another RSX? Instead you bought an Accord, then start comparing it. Did you really do a thorough research before buying this car?

dparky: HONDA genesis coupe? <---That's a first and it caught my eyes to respond haha Honda is easy to remember btw the models.

IMO, I bought an Accord as a daily grind car nothing more. There's no way in hell that an Accord would bring a WOW! factor even if you mod it to be 300, 400, 500 HP, which I think its dumb. It's all brand, rep and models when it comes to WOW! factor. An NSX, TL, 350Z, BMW 3 series would bring out some WOW! factors. My 2 nickles!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Just wondering if I made the right choice. I like my new accord, but not yet "In love" with it. I remember really loving my 2006 Acura RSX when I first got it (right amount of power, fun, practicality and MPG), and just feeling like the Accord is more an A to B type of vehicle. The RSX was totaled unexpectedly and I put lots of time and effort into aftermarket getting things just right on it. I was forced into scrambling to find a car to replace it.

Other cars I was evaluating:
Genesis Coupe 2.0T fairly impressed with the RWD and value (although turbo lag was bad and expensive to insure), didn't like Driver's seating position too much, rear seats were not very useful. Tunability much higher than the Accord
Scion TC loved the practicality but also expensive to insure, driving handling was decent not anything special
Scion FRS/Subaru BRZ Not expensive to insure, useless rear seats, but otherwise amazing car (not as fast as the Accord V6 though)
VW GTI loved practicality but didn't want the outgoing model and wasn't feeling the styling (new generation model comes Spring). Didn't get to drive the DSG tranny, also less perceived reliability. Tunability much higher than the Accord
Infinity G37 Would have to buy a pre-owned 2010 and couldn't find any that weren't in mint condition. And trunk was almost useless.
Jeep Compass CUV I know a different class, I have rented this vehicle, and could of got a loaded 4x4 at a great price, but Jeep may ax this model/platform. Also handling had quite a bit of body roll.

Things I don't like about the accord:
City MPG not that great
Handling could be better (always feel front heavy and not especially coupe like). Vague steering feel and not a corner carver
-Mediocre sound system and clumbsy Nav interface

Anyone else had these feeling or evaluating similar cars?
What about the new Mustang?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts