Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Top trim Accord Touring at MSRP $37k is reaching entry level Acura TLX, for the mass without negotiation skill. With 2021 Acura redesign, is there a reason to justify for a fully loaded Accord Touring rather than Acura TLX luxury with premium quality? Plus the Acura badge to distinguish yourself from the common poor-man Accord.

·
Registered
2020 Accord Touring 2.0
20 Posts
Repairs/service on the accord are going to be less expensive. Consumables (tires, fluids, etc.) will also be less expensive. In addition, the base model TLX does not have all of the options the Accord Touring has. Lastly, the Accord is still going to have a lower sale price - and lower is lower.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Repairs/service on the accord are going to be less expensive. Consumables (tires, fluids, etc.) will also be less expensive. In addition, the base model TLX does not have all of the options the Accord Touring has. Lastly, the Accord is still going to have a lower sale price - and lower is lower.
I thought Acura is using the same 2.0T and 10-speed as the Accord. The repair/service should be the same, diy wise?

·
Registered
Accords: 2020 Touring 2.0T (current) Previous: 2006 LX I4, 2011 EXL-V6, 2014 EXL I4, 2007 SE I4
1,229 Posts
Interesting topic. I was just debating this myself a while ago before I got the Accord. Yes, looks wise the TLX will always be more “rare” compared to the Accord, but looks fade away over time. It will also be pretty much a dime a dozen everywhere in two years time. Also, keep in mind there’s not that much discount for the first year TLX model, so even at 38k, the real street price difference between the two (2020 Accord model) is much greater than 1k. Also, considering the first year bugs, the value proposition, practicality etc... all tip the scale toward the Accord Touring, at least to me anyways.

I will say though, in two years time, when the next gen Accord comes out, the comparison between the two will be much more interesting.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Top trim Accord Touring at $37k is reaching entry level Acura TLX. With 2021 Acura redesign, is there a reason to justify for a fully loaded Accord Touring rather than Acura TLX luxury with premium quality? Plus the Acura badge to distinguish yourself from the common poor-man Accord.
I've pointed out the questionability of buying a $37,000 Accord before (At least in terms of MSRP). While you can negotiate a 2.0t or an EXL 2.0t (which isn't even offered anymore in 2021) at or below $30,000, a Touring still usually sets you back at least $32k. In my opinion, there are other cars that are more appealing at that price point. The TLX comes to mind- but dealers aren't likely going to be willing to negotiate much off of MSRP on an 2021 TLX right now- since it just came out and is generating pretty positive reviews. As Macmuchmore says- you also don't get all the features of an Accord Touring in a base TLX either- and Acura (like Honda) doesn't generally let you add on individual options- but rather forces you go buy a whole bunch of stuff to get the option that you want.

Plus, the TLX is smaller inside than the Accord- especially in the back seat. Maybe in a year or two when interest in the TLX dies down a bit- dealers might be willing to negotiate a bit more- but right now my guess is that most dealers aren't discounting the new TLX nearly as much as Honda dealers are negotiating on Accords.

But given the $35,000 price point- there are probably better options than an an Accord- especially if you are willing to get a slightly used car. $35,000 buys you a really nice 2019 ES350 with 10,000 miles. Heck, my local Toyota dealer will sell you a very nice Toyota Avalon with the 3.5L engine for about that much.

I thought Acura is using the same 2.0T and 10-speed as the Accord. The repair/service should be the same, diy wise?
Even more interesting- it seems like when some car magazines tested the new TLX, it was actually a bit slower than the 2.0t Accord.

But Acura simply charges more for the same stuff... just because it's Acura. Want your new 2021 Accord in Platinum White Pearl? Honda will charge you an extra $395 for that color. Want your TLX in Platinum White Pearl (ahem, the same color)? Acura charges $500. Want black lug nuts on your new Accord? That will cost you $236 MSRP. Want them on your new TLX? That will cost you $314. Want an oil change at your Honda dealer? It most certainly will cost you more than what Acura would charge a TLX owner.

Lexus does the same thing with the ES350. It is mechanically identical (for the most part) to the Toyota Avalon. That doesn't stop Lexus from charging more for the same parts just for the privilege of not having to wait in line behind the owner of a rusty 90s Tercel while waiting at the parts counter.

If you do things yourself- then it's not such a big deal.

·
Registered
2020 Touring 2.0T
58 Posts
Top trim Accord Touring at $37k is reaching entry level Acura TLX. With 2021 Acura redesign, is there a reason to justify for a fully loaded Accord Touring rather than Acura TLX luxury with premium quality? Plus the Acura badge to distinguish yourself from the common poor-man Accord.
Frankly I’ve never felt the Acura badge was much to brag about; not like Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Lexus, etc. Acura TLX’s are surely good cars, but not high-end image, if that’s important.

On the other hand, a few months ago I got my first ever Honda Accord, a 2020 Touring, and feel like it’s one of the smartest things I have done. It’s a pleasure to drive and a real value for the money. I guess we each have to decide if the badge is what’s more worthwhile to our satisfaction. To me, Honda Accord Touring to Acura isn’t much of a leap.

·
Registered
2020 Accord Touring 2.0
20 Posts
I am sure there are many parts shared across many models of both Acura and Honda. You see the same thing with Toyota/Lexus, VW/Audi/Porsche, Nissan/Infinity, Ford/Lincoln, Chevy/GMC/Buick/Caddy, etc... With all that being said, in general, you will always pay more for the luxury brand, whether it be for the entire car/part/or service, even if they are generally the same car/part/service. That is also not to say that the luxury car is the same as the lower priced brand - many of the luxury models have changes that make them different (and some may say better), like extra sound deadening, more power from the same engine, etc. I guess what I am trying to say is that regardless of what is shared between a luxury brand and its "lesser" counterpart, each has its own uniqueness and positives and negatives. For me, while I love the Acura brand in general and the cars pretty fantastic, for my money, an Accord Touring 2.0 has everything I want in a car at a reasonable price (as long as you pay less than MSRP lol). Especially when you consider that in sport mode, it can run rings around a first gen NSX lol - it just feels like I got an Acura at a Honda price. For someone else, an Acura may be worth the extra money. I would definitely applaud anyone who purchased an Acura over a Honda (or vice-versa), as long as it made them happy.

·
Registered
Accords: 2020 Touring 2.0T (current) Previous: 2006 LX I4, 2011 EXL-V6, 2014 EXL I4, 2007 SE I4
1,229 Posts
I've pointed out the questionability of buying a $37,000 Accord before (At least in terms of MSRP). While you can negotiate a 2.0t or an EXL 2.0t (which isn't even offered anymore in 2021) at or below $30,000, a Touring still usually sets you back at least $32k. In my opinion, there are other cars that are more appealing at that price point. The TLX comes to mind- but dealers aren't likely going to be willing to negotiate much off of MSRP on an 2021 TLX right now- since it just came out and is generating pretty positive reviews. As Macmuchmore says- you also don't get all the features of an Accord Touring in a base TLX either- and Acura (like Honda) doesn't generally let you add on individual options- but rather forces you go buy a whole bunch of stuff to get the option that you want.

Plus, the TLX is smaller inside than the Accord- especially in the back seat. Maybe in a year or two when interest in the TLX dies down a bit- dealers might be willing to negotiate a bit more- but right now my guess is that most dealers aren't discounting the new TLX nearly as much as Honda dealers are negotiating on Accords.

But given the $35,000 price point- there are probably better options than an an Accord- especially if you are willing to get a slightly used car. $35,000 buys you a really nice 2019 ES350 with 10,000 miles. Heck, my local Toyota dealer will sell you a very nice Toyota Avalon with the 3.5L engine for about that much.

Even more interesting- it seems like when some car magazines tested the new TLX, it was actually a bit slower than the 2.0t Accord.

But Acura simply charges more for the same stuff... just because it's Acura. Want your new 2021 Accord in Platinum White Pearl? Honda will charge you an extra $395 for that color. Want your TLX in Platinum White Pearl (ahem, the same color)? Acura charges $500. Want black lug nuts on your new Accord? That will cost you $236 MSRP. Want them on your new TLX? That will cost you $314. Want an oil change at your Honda dealer? It most certainly will cost you more than what Acura would charge a TLX owner.

Lexus does the same thing with the ES350. It is mechanically identical (for the most part) to the Toyota Avalon. That doesn't stop Lexus from charging more for the same parts just for the privilege of not having to wait in line behind the owner of a rusty 90s Tercel while waiting at the parts counter.

If you do things yourself- then it's not such a big deal.
Yep, yep. Interesting an Acura forum that I frequent, some people there actually are very divided about the TLX. There are of course those that like it no matter what, but many also seemed to be let down by the performance of the car and are now waiting for the upcoming Type-S instead. Acura does charge more for their services. Although to be fair, certain common things like oil changes, there seems to be no real price difference from Honda dealerships. Getting used Lexus IS a great idea, though I will say a used Acura can be an equally great idea too, considering how much they depreciate the first few years, but are likely to still have the same Honda DNA and reliability down the road. 😉

·
More cars, more problems
91 Posts
Easy choice for me: Accord has (well, had) a manual, TLX did not.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Interesting conversation. I went through all this debate when I got my 2018 2.0 Touring. I considered the 3 Series, and the TLX, I didn't test drive either. I read an article (wish I could find it) in Automobile that the Accord had everything one needed/wanted in a "family sedan," luxury, sport, comfort, performance. My decision came down to, with BMW or Acura, you're buying Exclusivity, probably 10 Accords to every TLX or more; but more importantly, the new Accord had everything I wanted, more than the TLX was offering at that time. I also feel it was the smartest decision I ever made. (Came out of 2008 EX-L)
Two years later, I still enjoy the car.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Acurazine is very divided on the TLX. Most members (myself included) recognize the luxury is there but performance is absent. The TLX Advanced with SH-AWD is $50K car that does 0-60 in over 6 seconds which is unacceptable in 2020. It's one of the slowest cars with the base engine in the segment.

Yep, yep. Interesting an Acura forum that I frequent, some people there actually are very divided about the TLX. There are of course those that like it no matter what, but many also seemed to be let down by the performance of the car and are now waiting for the upcoming Type-S instead. Acura does charge more for their services. Although to be fair, certain common things like oil changes, there seems to be no real price difference from Honda dealerships. Getting used Lexus IS a great idea, though I will say a used Acura can be an equally great idea too, considering how much they depreciate the first few years, but are likely to still have the same Honda DNA and reliability down the road. 😉

·
Registered
4 Posts
The TLX wins sales away from the big luxury automakers because it has great value for that segment. Compared to a 330, A4, and C300, the TLX offers more standard equipment than the others can offer at their starting prices. Sure, it may not be as athletic as those (on the stock tires), not everyone buying a luxury sedan wants sports car.
Compared to those sedans, the TLX makes a lot of sense for someone who wants that class of car without going into debt due to purchase price or maintenance. Compared to a mainstream sedan like the Accord, the TLX has nothing substantial to offer because its best attribute, value, is out of the picture. The only financial reason I can come up with for why one would choose the more expensive TLX over the Accord would be for SH-AWD. Seems like any other reason you'd buy the TLX instead of the Accord is just preference of style, similar to why I bought an MDX over the mechanically identical Pilot.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Acurazine is very divided on the TLX. Most members (myself included) recognize the luxury is there but performance is absent. The TLX Advanced with SH-AWD is $50K car that does 0-60 in over 6 seconds which is unacceptable in 2020. It's one of the slowest cars with the base engine in the segment.
Yep. I think 6.5 sec is the official number although it’s very likely a conservative estimate. Some youtubers have gotten 5.7-5.9 so who knows what they did to get their numbers. I’m actually wondering if Acura is doing it on purpose. Start out with ordinary performance numbers, just so they can differentiate the two , make people anticipate more and wow people later on when they come out with the type-S.

Base TLX doesn't have half the things Accord Touring does. Base TLX is quite frankly an embarrassment for what it offers and how much it costs.
Right. I believe leather isn’t even standard on the base. Or maybe I should say they have fake leather on the car. I wouldn’t go so far in calling it an embarrassment though. It can still be a good driver’s car with the double wishbone suspension, especially when equipped with the SH-AWD.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I traded in my 2014 Accord V6 Touring for a 2018 Accord 2.0T Touring. My sister bought a top of the line 2018 Acura TLX (V6 Advance Package). My immediate impression was that the 2018 2.0T Accord Touring had more technology/features/goodies than her 2018 TLX. I expected much more glitz from the TLX but was disappointed given the price difference of the two.

In fact, I realized that the 2018 TLX was a cross between the 2014 and 2018 Accord Tourings. It's hard to explain, but one good example was the TLX infotainment system was pretty much the same as my 2014 Accord (except the speakers) ... no where near as nice as my 2018 Accord. Another example is my sister's TLX had a push button gear shifter, but it was for a 6 speed V6 vs the Accords 10 Speed 2.0T 4 cylinder.

BTW, the base Acura TLX appeared underwhelming when it comes to luxury features.

In my opinion, I see the ILX as a version of the Civic and the TLX as a version of the Accord. The RLX is the only Acura that can be classified as luxury. Therefore, both the ILX and TLX are for those who want a luxury name (Acura), but can't afford the RLX.

Of course, things may have changed for the later TLX model years. But, that's my experience and opinion, and I'm sticking with it! 🙃

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I traded in my 2014 Accord V6 Touring for a 2018 Accord 2.0T Touring. My sister bought a top of the line 2018 Acura TLX (V6 Advance Package). My immediate impression was that the 2018 2.0T Accord Touring had more technology/features/goodies than her 2018 TLX. I expected much more glitz from the TLX but was disappointed given the price difference of the two.

In fact, I realized that the 2018 TLX was a cross between the 2014 and 2018 Accord Tourings. It's hard to explain, but one good example was the TLX infotainment system was pretty much the same as my 2014 Accord (except the speakers) ... no where near as nice as my 2018 Accord. Another example is my sister's TLX had a push button gear shifter, but it was for a 6 speed V6 vs the Accords 10 Speed 2.0T 4 cylinder.

BTW, the base Acura TLX appeared underwhelming when it comes to luxury features.

In my opinion, I see the ILX as a version of the Civic and the TLX as a version of the Accord. The RLX is the only Acura that can be classified as luxury. Therefore, both the ILX and TLX are for those who want a luxury name (Acura), but can't afford the RLX.

Of course, things may have changed for the later TLX model years. But, that's my experience and opinion, and I'm sticking with it! 🙃
yeah, 2021 TLX has new interior and exterior design and new Turbo 2.0

·
8th Gen Believer
4,202 Posts
I've done several TLX test drives. I've also been on this forum 3 years Acura TLX Forum I won't buy one, as great and they look etc. etc. What ruined TLX for me is the stop-start "feature" that kills the engine at a light or stop sign. You cannot disable it. Some owners have been unable to start it. NO THANX!!

·
Registered
2020 Accord Hybrid EX-L
185 Posts
The Acura TLX was once on my 'next sedan' list before it made itself removed from my list with their all new 2021 TLX. I was totally disappointed by what they released out as a 2021 year model.

First thing first, in my metrics Acura is NOT a full-on luxury brand; I'd say it is at most comparable to Buick. Therefore, I don't think an Acura badge would add much additional value; if I am after a luxury brand logo, I'd go any European brand (BBA, Alfa Romeo, Volvo, Jaguar).

The major issue I have with this TLX is cabin room. For a transversely layout sedan with over 194 inches length, its combined legroom is just ridiculously limited. I am rather surprised to learn they put additional length to make it RWD style. For this reason alone I'd choose Accord: I need this enormous rear legroom and large trunk; plus, the Accord doesn't look ugly because it looks FWD style. In fact, any vehicle doesn't need to look RWD style to be beautiful.

I recall when I watched Alex's review on it, I was thinking:
Are you kidding me? You put all 4 inches into nothing but RWD style?!

Tire size is another issue. Other than the base trim, all 2021 TLX comes with 19" 255mm tires. This means higher chance of tire failure on potholes, worse fuel economy, and higher tire noise. Why? Because it is overweight! To save the handling and braking, they have to go wider tires.

Regarding the interior, According Touring surely beats base TLX, and competes well with higher trims. For example, the instrument cluster on Accord is way better than 2021 TLX's small LCD screen. The touch center screen on Accord is easier to use than a non-touch interface on Acura.

In other words, neither Accord nor TLX manages to reach the real luxury brand level. If I am really after interior quality, I'd go Lexus, Volvo, MBenz etc.

The compact luxury sedan segment is really competitive. I think if I still want a sedan in the future, my top choice would lean towards S60 (well rounded luxury and value) or Giulia (ultimate RWD style).

I would say it is better for Acura to grab the 10th Accord and throw in a ton of luxury/power features (better parts quality, larger screen, more comfortable seats, Acura front design plus SH-AWD) then call it new TLX. I am happy to add $10k over Accord touring for these features. But for the current 2021 TLX? Nonono.

·
port & polish everything
1,673 Posts
Lots of discussion of why the new TLX is not so good, but one big weakness of the current accord is the handling sucks. Terminal understeer and plow even at medium speeds.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Lots of discussion of why the new TLX is not so good, but one big weakness of the current accord is the handling sucks. Terminal understeer and plow even at medium speeds.
Are you sure? I wonder if we’re driving the same car... or maybe it’s just the way we drive is just different.... I’ve had several Accords and I honestly feel it’s pretty much on par with the past Accords. Sure, it does feel bigger than the 9th gen (because it is bigger) and the k24 I4’s I had did feel more “tossable” especially around turns due to the light weight up front, but the handling of the V6’s/2.0t are pretty solid too despite the heavier curb weight. How does it compare to your 8th gen. since you still have both currently?

With that said, I do think the new 2021 TLX will most definitely out handle the Accord. And if better acceleration/performance is your thing, definitely wait for the Type-S.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts