Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
The Type S is going to be a lot of fun, but if you're sticking with the 2.0T, may as well go with the Accord and save the money.

Of course, I always go with the bigger engine. I don't understand why any Accord owner would want a 1.5T; similarly, I can't imagine the TLX without the bigger engine.

·
port & polish everything
1,673 Posts
Are you sure? I wonder if we’re driving the same car... or maybe it’s just the way we drive is just different.... I’ve had several Accords and I honestly feel it’s pretty much on par with the past Accords. Sure, it does feel bigger than the 9th gen (because it is bigger) and the k24 I4’s I had did feel more “tossable” especially around turns due to the light weight up front, but the handling of the V6’s/2.0t are pretty solid too despite the heavier curb weight. How does it compare to your 8th gen. since you still have both currently?

With that said, I do think the new 2021 TLX will most definitely out handle the Accord. And if better acceleration/performance is your thing, definitely wait for the Type-S.
My 8G is a coupe which does not handle the same as any of the sedans. It is my spare car now but whenever I drive it I am reminded why I didn't sell or trade it and that I went backwards on handling when I bought the 10G.

My parents also have two 8G sedans, an LX and an SE, both which I drive all the time when I visit. I've test driven the 9G V6 sedan also and of course bought the 10G 2.0T. Also owned two 7G sedans previously. My 8G coupe handles better than all of them. The steering turn in is quicker with more rotation in the chassis and less body roll. This is even on 6 year old tires at the wear bars.

Yes the 2.0T 10AT powertrain is great, you can easily and quickly pick up a lot of speed, and good thing the brakes are good too because you can't carry much of that momentum through even medium speed turns.

I have not driven the new TLX yet but the front suspension is totally redesigned from the accord. It has double wishbones again, which Honda took away from the Accord after the 8th gen. I agree that I probably wouldn't buy a base TLX but don't think Honda went through the effort of redesigning the front suspension for nothing.

Reactions: Hudouc

·
Registered
2019 2.0 EXL
244 Posts
IF I were to buy a TLX it would only be a Type S, and probably a second or third year model.

·
Turbo lag
1,053 Posts
My 8G is a coupe which does not handle the same as any of the sedans. It is my spare car now but whenever I drive it I am reminded why I didn't sell or trade it and that I went backwards on handling when I bought the 10G.

My parents also have two 8G sedans, an LX and an SE, both which I drive all the time when I visit. I've test driven the 9G V6 sedan also and of course bought the 10G 2.0T. Also owned two 7G sedans previously. My 8G coupe handles better than all of them. The steering turn in is quicker with more rotation in the chassis and less body roll. This is even on 6 year old tires at the wear bars.
Sounds like I should mod my coupe too. :LOL: Now, where did I put that spare turbo :unsure:

·
Registered
Accords: 2020 Touring 2.0T (current) Previous: 2006 LX I4, 2011 EXL-V6, 2014 EXL I4, 2007 SE I4
1,234 Posts
The Type S is going to be a lot of fun, but if you're sticking with the 2.0T, may as well go with the Accord and save the money.

Of course, I always go with the bigger engine. I don't understand why any Accord owner would want a 1.5T; similarly, I can't imagine the TLX without the bigger engine.
Actually, the 1.5t is a great engine too. So was the K24s in the past gens. These are great engines in their own right. To me, part of what made me choose the bigger displacement engine is Honda’s decision to ONLY pair the smaller engine choices with the CVT. I simply decided that I won’t do it anymore after giving it two tries. The only scenario I can see myself getting back to Honda’s CVT, no matter how good it is for a CVT, is only if I must have to have a hybrid.

Yes the 2.0T 10AT powertrain is great, you can easily and quickly pick up a lot of speed, and good thing the brakes are good too because you can't carry much of that momentum through even medium speed turns.

I have not driven the new TLX yet but the front suspension is totally redesigned from the accord. It has double wishbones again, which Honda took away from the Accord after the 8th gen. I agree that I probably wouldn't buy a base TLX but don't think Honda went through the effort of redesigning the front suspension for nothing.
I see. I’ve never driven the Accord coupe so my frame of reference is a bit different. But your point on double wishbone suspension setup is on point. I can feel the difference when I start driving more aggressively between my older TL and the Accord (which is pretty rare nowadays). The Accord takes the cake on straight line acceleration no doubt, but the TL just feels much more agile, lively and has less body roll on turns. The same was probably true with my 8th gen sedan, although I can’t really remember it that much now since it was quite a while ago and I didn’t keep it for long (due to mostly the VCM) and the mostly abysmal city mpg (my V6 drank gas).
The new TLX, from what I’ve heard, does drive very well with the new setup. Most of the complaints seem to be about the transmission responsiveness, rear leg room, and much heavier weight.
IF I were to buy a TLX it would only be a Type S, and probably a second or third year model.
Yep. A 2-3 year old Type-S with tech package sounds pretty nice. Although if I were to get it, I might wait even longer to take a peek at the 3G TLX Type S and see if Acura has something else on the horizon. Worst case, get the 2G TLX preowned or brand new right before 3G comes out at a huge discount! 😉

·
port & polish everything
1,673 Posts
Sounds like I should mod my coupe too. :LOL: Now, where did I put that spare turbo :unsure:
Haha sometimes the day job is really tough so I never got beyond bolt ons on my coupe. Also let family use my car sometimes so don't want them to deal with mods. But if I ever need engine work I'd like a ported head finally.

Even taking the same commute with two different cars, I have one freeway exit that is basically a chicane that for me highlights the differences. After I got the 10G sedan the braking point became pretty rigid and early because I couldn't easily carry speed through the S turn exit. With the coupe I previously didn't appreciate the flexibility in carrying momentum and delaying braking through the same exit.

Reactions: Hudouc

·
2020 Touring 2.0T
2020 Accord Touring 2.0T
23 Posts
Lots of discussion of why the new TLX is not so good, but one big weakness of the current accord is the handling sucks. Terminal understeer and plow even at medium speeds.
Most cars are setup to be understeer bias because it is safer for the average driver. You can change that in a number of ways with some mods to your car. I didn't want to change out the rear anti roll bar on my 2020 Accord 2.0T, but I did put a set of Pilot Sport all seasons with a 9" wide tire and it grips much better in the corners, especially in wet conditions. It will still understeer if you push it real hard, but I wouldn't call it "terminal understeer".

I faced this decision myself when looking at a new car 2 months ago. After shopping around I couldn't find a vehicle that has the same features as the Accord 2.0T Touring for under 32K. To get a similar trimmed car in the 2021 TLX you'd be paying at least 10k more. That also doesn't address the rear seat legroom or trunk space you give up moving to the 2021 TLX.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0T
24 Posts
I faced this decision myself when looking at a new car 2 months ago. After shopping around I couldn't find a vehicle that has the same features as the Accord 2.0T Touring for under 32K. To get a similar trimmed car in the 2021 TLX you'd be paying at least 10k more. That also doesn't address the rear seat legroom or trunk space you give up moving to the 2021 TLX.
Very much the same. After my 2018 Accord is paid off in a couple of years, I thought maybe a 2022 or 2023 Acura Type S could be a possibility. Everything looked promising given the outer dimensions of the car which were reported early on. But I was sorely disappointed when I recently heard about the interior dimensions. I'm 6'3", my son is growing, and the new TLX has less legroom than the current Civic. How did the interior packaging & storage take a step backwards?

·
Registered
272 Posts
The Acura TLX was once on my 'next sedan' list before it made itself removed from my list with their all new 2021 TLX. I was totally disappointed by what they released out as a 2021 year model.

First thing first, in my metrics Acura is NOT a full-on luxury brand; I'd say it is at most comparable to Buick. Therefore, I don't think an Acura badge would add much additional value; if I am after a luxury brand logo, I'd go any European brand (BBA, Alfa Romeo, Volvo, Jaguar).

The major issue I have with this TLX is cabin room. For a transversely layout sedan with over 194 inches length, its combined legroom is just ridiculously limited. I am rather surprised to learn they put additional length to make it RWD style. For this reason alone I'd choose Accord: I need this enormous rear legroom and large trunk; plus, the Accord doesn't look ugly because it looks FWD style. In fact, any vehicle doesn't need to look RWD style to be beautiful.

I recall when I watched Alex's review on it, I was thinking:
Are you kidding me? You put all 4 inches into nothing but RWD style?!

Tire size is another issue. Other than the base trim, all 2021 TLX comes with 19" 255mm tires. This means higher chance of tire failure on potholes, worse fuel economy, and higher tire noise. Why? Because it is overweight! To save the handling and braking, they have to go wider tires.

Regarding the interior, According Touring surely beats base TLX, and competes well with higher trims. For example, the instrument cluster on Accord is way better than 2021 TLX's small LCD screen. The touch center screen on Accord is easier to use than a non-touch interface on Acura.

In other words, neither Accord nor TLX manages to reach the real luxury brand level. If I am really after interior quality, I'd go Lexus, Volvo, MBenz etc.

The compact luxury sedan segment is really competitive. I think if I still want a sedan in the future, my top choice would lean towards S60 (well rounded luxury and value) or Giulia (ultimate RWD style).

I would say it is better for Acura to grab the 10th Accord and throw in a ton of luxury/power features (better parts quality, larger screen, more comfortable seats, Acura front design plus SH-AWD) then call it new TLX. I am happy to add $10k over Accord touring for these features. But for the current 2021 TLX? Nonono.
Spot on with the Buick comparison. Acura is a weird in-between brand that basically acts as a slightly nicer Honda with a big price bump. Lexus is sort of the same way, but they do strive to be sportier (although both underwhelm compared to the competition). Acura is a good brand for people who want to flash their money in the most subtle way.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Uh the 10th gen is lighter than the 9th gen across the board. You don't really think the K24 is lighter than a 1.5T?

Yr Trim Trans Weight

17 LX CVT 3239 18 LX CVT 3131 -108

17 Sprt CVT 3369 18 Sprt CVT 3208 -168

17 EX CVT 3336 18 EX CVT 3199 -137

17 EXLV6 6AT 3543 18 EXL 10AT 3362 -181

17 Tour 6T 3605 18 Tour 10AT 3428 -177

Reactions: AccordPirate04
21 - 30 of 30 Posts