Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Fear The Turtle!
2,166 Posts
No. Much flintier ride. To me the handling limits feel the same but the Accord has a much more composed ride on bumpy roads.

·
Registered
203 Posts
There are those on this forum who think the Civic rides better. It is certainly closer than you'd think. Especially sice the 13 retune. I think the reality is that the Civic is better than you'd think for an econobox small car - and quieter too, whereas the Accords is more average in its class ride wise - ride quality is not where it excels though some people will prefer its firmer balance to the more cushioned Camrys and Passats of this world. I do think that the 17" shod Accords ride much better than the last 2 gens at least.

·
Registered
941 Posts
My gf has a new Corolla and I was surprised by how nice the ride was. Obviously, it still doesn't ride as smooth as my accord but for that size car I thought it was really good. Meanwhile, I rented a focus last week and it was garbage. I wouldn't take that car if you have it to me.

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,708 Posts
Had a week in a 2013 Civic and it doesn't ride as well as the Accord. The Accord the suspension absorbs stuff...the Civic felt like everything got translated into the body....very springy.

·
Low Gear
2,934 Posts
In the city and around town, the two cars will feel very similar is many situations. Even if you take it on the hwy, yes, one can question is it worth the extra $$$. Compare Civic LX to Accord LX.

Now, try be on the road for 15 hrs. That's where the difference becomes night and day, especially if the Accord is a V6 EX-L (Touring). The better insolation, better seats, stiffer platform, larger size, bigger tires, smoother engine, better stereo, etc.

I've I driven a Civic for 15 hrs? Yes, it's not bad at all. So am I contracting myself? No.

The best way to say it is, once you own an Accord (V6 EXL), it's hard to go back to something like a Civic LX. You can then better feel, hear, and experience the difference.

Note. Experts have said the Accord is noisy and not that well insolated. I never own a Lexus. So to me, the Accord is > the Civic. Therefore, worth the $$$$ regardless of size.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Going to quote you out-of-order:

Now, try be on the road for 15 hrs. That's where the difference becomes night and day
Agreed. Noticeably less fatigue when driving the Accord on the highway for a long time.

In the city and around town, the two cars will feel very similar is many situations.
Here's where I disagree. I prefer the smaller Civic around town.

Compare Civic LX to Accord LX.
And the Accord LX is much nicer in small ways: door map pockets large enough to hold a map, pocket behind both front seats, continuously variable intermittent wipers, rear disk brakes, etc. The Civic loses most of these shortcomings at the EX trim level (save for the map pockets).

·
Low Gear
2,934 Posts
Here's where I disagree. I prefer the smaller Civic around town.
Same here too. But the OP wanted to factor out size. Parking stalls, and some parking structures, the Accord is "big." And MPG too. With all my Civics, always got better than EPA MPG. With the Accord, it can get bad if you don't take it easy.

Gas is "cheap" again. It's only a matter of time before it goes back to $4 a gallon.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've recently driven both a 2015 Civic and a 2012 Accord. I actually wound up purchasing the used accord over the new Civic. Both were EXL with everything except navi. The accord is much more comfortable than the Civic and is much quicker.

I just recently made my purchase and I drove the Civic as well as many of its competitors. These being the Mazda 3, Dodge Dart, and the Toyota Corolla. In my opinion, the Civic was probably one of the most uncomfortable cars in the class to be in, although it handles very well.

·
Low Gear
2,934 Posts
It also worth to point out the Accord is basically the Acura TL with 300lb less dynomat. The Civic (current 9th gen) is a cheapened 8th gen Civic.

·
Fear The Turtle!
2,166 Posts
Speaking of city comparisons, the Civic will punish you on back streets in Baltimore while the Accord remains compliant.

The Civic's have (to me being 6'4" and on the hefty side) barely livable space while the Accord is very comfortable. The nice touch points you get in an Accord are tractor grade plastics on the Civic. On the 8th gen (don't know about the new ones) the A pillar is horrendously thick on the Civic and it obscures your view, especially when navigating parking lots or garages while turning left. I could go on but I think you get the picture.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
My comparison is probably pointless as my civic was a 2007 (Ex sedan) and my 2015 Accord is less than one week old (V6 Ex-L sedan with Nav made in 05/15 purchased last Friday).

I was very happy with my civic though. I have a ~36 mile round trip commute daily (mix of 55 and 45 zones on through ways or major streets) and I would get 31-33mpg routinely. On the highway I've gotten 42-43mog over extended trips, cruise control at 70mph. It was also expectedly reliable (starter went at 5 years, it happens sometimes) with only consumable stuff going over the years.

Ride wise it was much noisier than the accord - more front wheel road noise and wind noise around the mirrors. It also had a lot more lean-in on cornering, nowhere near as tight on corners. It also would have problems sometimes with moving from a full stop on ice/snow or wet roads which I blame on a near neutral weight distribution.

The civic is still a great car for the price point, but it's not an accord.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I drove an 06 LX Civic for several years and now I'm in a 2015 Accord Sport and I think the ride and overall quality is night and day. Although the Sport is a little rough on bad roads, it is so much quieter, especially on the highway. The roomy cabin also makes for a much more comfortable ride whether in town or on an eight hour road trip. The Civic was a great car to get me through college and the years following but I can't imagine driving one all the time now.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I couldn't disagree more with fatigue. My lower back starts hurting 1.5 hours into a long drive. Just drove 900 miles straight only stopping for gas and food in my wife's 2012 civic ex and never once felt my back. Could just be the normal issues with the 8th gen seats or something else I don't know. I would of like to have the extra room the accord provided tho.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My first post here. Been looking at lots of cars. The biggest problem I see with the Civic is the price! It's not much less than the LX accord. Not enough difference. I was interested in a Civic till I saw the price. No thanks. We did just buy a Honda CR-V which is Civic based and you can feel it. Nice little car but it's cheap and feels cheap.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Accord for sure. I drive my sister's Civic occasionally when she owned one. My accord is way better, more comfortable to ride and more power even in 2.3L Accord. Me being 6'4", the Civic is a no no to me.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've only driven the Civic Si, the Accord Sport, a 2010 V6 Accord, and the Crosstour. I thought they all had a nice ride.

My wife though, thought the ride in my 2010 Civic Si was way better than the 2006 Mustang I gave up for the Civic.

At the end of the day, you've got look at what kind of driving you're doing. Are you doing city driving and there's always road construction, or will you be doing some commuting from a more suburban setting. Even a Civic Si won't beat you to death like a lot of other cars will.

·
Corvair
187 Posts
Look at the whole package. The Accord is a little bigger, a little more equipment. I like the turning grids on the back up camera on the Accord. I compared both and I got the Accord. The Civic is a great car, but the Accord is just a little greater!

We drove the Accord just short of 1000 miles in one day! No back issues or any other place. I'm not exactly 18 years old either.

If you buy the Civic, you made a great choice, but I'd get the Accord. The Accord cost a lot less than I expected when I bought mine. In fact it was less than what I thought a Civic would cost.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts