Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was visiting YouTube to check on some subscriptions I have and one of the videos YouTube "thought I would like" based on other car vids I've watched was this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHAU...=V5Hwq-U5f7U&feature=rec-real_rev-rn-2f-45-HM

At the end of the video, the guy says he added acetone to the gas and doubled his gas mileage. Now, I don't know a lot about cars, but I do know the properties of acetone and something doesn't seem right about putting it in my car. :scratch:

So, there's always the "if it seems too good to be true..." voice shouting in my head when I hear anything like this.
But I have to ask, has anyone tried this or know anything about it? Is it complete BS or is there something to it?

·
Registered
588 Posts
I would suggest to research this subject yourself. There is a positive effect on gas mileage but also unknown (possibly negative) effect on fuel system. There are bunch of threads on the topic on the net.

·
7th Gear
3,424 Posts
Adding Sugar to your tank, makes your exhaust smell sweeter! :thmsup:

·
Old Bird...sometimes wise
10,123 Posts
Boba-

There was a great deal of talk on Bobistheoilguy about this. Double MPG? No. Some claimed it slightly increased MPG others that tried it said it did nothing. There was no real conclusion but I sure wouldn't do it.

·
7th Gear
3,424 Posts
Spraying Silicone on your tire treads, will make your tires look great and repel water, too! :thmsup:

Putting Baseball Cards in your wheel spokes, makes a cool sound.

Adding a Type-R sticker adds 5.78138547931563875124863 hp.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dang, I must have missed that Mythbusters episode.

Well, like I said, the BS alarms were going off in my head, so I'm not surprised.

·
Keepin' It R-E-A-L...!!!
3,914 Posts
"Acetone" won't improve fuel economy necessarily, it'll restore it though to what it is/was supposed to be.

Much like over-the-counter fuel system treatments & additives, acetone removes varnish (old fuel that buildsup into gunk which can layer the gas-tank, fuel-lines, etc').

A regular regimen of engine-oil & oil-filter changes along w/ a clean air-filter, combined w/ using "Sea Foam" in the throttle-body/intake-manifold/vacuum-lines (if/when necessary), and occasional engine-oil treatment (prior to oil-changes) & fuel-system cleaner (perhaps once every other season using just a a single bottle added during a fillup), as well as using tier-one gasoline brands (merely dubbed such for their proven detergent fuel-additives) should keep all well & dandy in terms of performance & fuel-economy/efficiency. Not to mention not letting the vehicle sit for many, many months in undesirable conditions/environments.

Also, fuel-injector cleaning by a specialized service provider where they balance/blueprint each of them (ie. RC Injectors) can also help maintain performance & fuel-economy/efficiency.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
"Acetone" won't improve fuel economy necessarily, it'll restore it though to what it is/was supposed to be.

Much like over-the-counter fuel system treatments & additives, acetone removes varnish (old fuel that buildsup into gunk which can layer the gas-tank, fuel-lines, etc').

A regular regimen of engine-oil & oil-filter changes along w/ a clean air-filter, combined w/ using "Sea Foam" in the throttle-body/intake-manifold/vacuum-lines (if/when necessary), and occasional engine-oil treatment (prior to oil-changes) & fuel-system cleaner (perhaps once every other season using just a a single bottle added during a fillup), as well as using tier-one gasoline brands (merely dubbed such for their proven detergent fuel-additives) should keep all well & dandy in terms of performance & fuel-economy/efficiency. Not to mention not letting the vehicle sit for many, many months in undesirable conditions/environments.

Also, fuel-injector cleaning by a specialized service provider where they balance/blueprint each of them (ie. RC Injectors) can also help maintain performance & fuel-economy/efficiency.

Good advice there Osiris.

I definitely meet oil change, oil filter, air filter, tier 1 gas, and not letting it sit criteria. I do occasionally throw an extra bottle of Techron into a tank (I use Chevron 99.99% of the time anyway) every now and then.

I'll have to look into the Seafoam and the injector cleaning.

I'm not really getting bad/decreased MPG, so I don't think any of those things are really an issue right now.

My Accord has 63k now...think I should do the injectors at this point? Any idea what that generally costs?

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Good advice there Osiris.

I definitely meet oil change, oil filter, air filter, tier 1 gas, and not letting it sit criteria. I do occasionally throw an extra bottle of Techron into a tank (I use Chevron 99.99% of the time anyway) every now and then.

I'll have to look into the Seafoam and the injector cleaning.

I'm not really getting bad/decreased MPG, so I don't think any of those things are really an issue right now.

My Accord has 63k now...think I should do the injectors at this point? Any idea what that generally costs?
From what I've seen it's $25+ per injector. If they are not local you will have to mail them off and be without the car while you wait for them to come back. If you use quality gas you are unlikely to ever really need to get it done. I've taken vehicles past 200k miles without having the injectors out. There are only two times I would remove the injectors: to get higher flowing ones for more performance with a tune, or if I knew there was a problem with one.

The best way to increase mileage is to control your right foot, just don't be one of those damn hypermilers that piss everyone off and create hazards for everyone else.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts