Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

2018 Accord Sport 2.0 in
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.
I have a 2018 Accord Sport with about 86,000 miles on it. Today I decided to vacuum out the car, and noticed that both the front and rear passenger side carpet were very wet. As I was sucking it up with my shop vac I opened the frame number cover to see if it was wet in there and found it full of sprouting acorns.
So it seems I have 2 problems. There must be a hole big enough for a acorn laden chipmunk to squeeze through, and probably the cause of the water intrusion.

Has anyone seen anything like this?

I pulled the cabin filter out, it was dry. I removed the plastic grille at base of windshield and it was clean. I poured water in it and seemed to drain normally behind the front tire.
I poured water around the sunroof and it drained to the same spot just fine.

This does explain the sound of marbles rolling around passenger side when accelerating or stopping, and why the noise suddenly stopped. Acorns don't roll when they are sprouting

I have an appointment with dealer on Tuesday if I dont figure it out before then.

Thanks for any thoughts you may have

Registered
Did you find a hole when you took the acorns out? Check your engine bay for further signs of furry critters living in your car. I live in the woods and due to the lack of driving lately, the Sonata we keep parked in the woods for the kids to drive when they visit, had chewed up acorns on top of the engine cover. I also found three dead baby mice in the cabin fan of my Subaru. Cars make great homes for our woodland friends. 馃槙

The water could also be coming from your heater core or AC evaporator, both located on the passenger side behind the glove box and dash, if I'm not mistaken.

Finally, there was an urban legend in the 70's about a disgruntled GM union member who would put a loose bolt in body panel or wheel to drive folks crazy. Maybe someone in OH thought acorns would be just as funny.

2018 Accord Sport 2.0 in
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I live out in the sticks as well. Have a Jeep Liberty that had the main harness going to transmission and abs wheel sensors chewed in half. That was fun. I keep the Accord in garage in hopes of that not happening, but rodents are sneaky.

I had no other signs of activity anywhere I looked. I will check out the ac drain to see if its plugged but it seems pretty dry around that area.

Thanks for the reply!

Registered
Springer, I had a great store of rat food (juniper berries) behind the cabin air filter in my old 2013 Accord. The critter came in through one of many openings between the engine compartment and the upper firewall area. I took the cowl off and sealed those openings with 1/4" hardware cloth (fastened it in with silicone caulk). Did pretty much the same thing to mouse-proof my travel trailer when I found mouse nests next to the refrigerator behind some drawers.

Those fixes worked. I've never opened the frame number cover to see what's in there, but if you have acorns, they had to get in somehow, and I'd guess critters. Try the hardware cloth approach on any openings you find. It allows normal air circulation and water drainage, but the mesh is too small for rodents to get through.

- Jack

2020 CBP Touring
That's a heck of an inconvenience. Sorry to hear about that. Where is that frame number cover? I had no idea there was such a thing?

I'll be back in a bit...(Cocks .22 air rifle and scans backyard for that chipmunk that's always around...)

2018 Accord Sport 2.0 in
Discussion Starter #9
So I am leaving the car in the driveway today with windows down, sunroof open, and in direct sunlight.
Hoping it gets warm enough to dry it out some. The foam under the panel is soaked!

2020 CBP Touring
So I am leaving the car in the driveway today with windows down, sunroof open, and in direct sunlight.
Hoping it gets warm enough to dry it out some. The foam under the panel is soaked!
I might even try to get a fan/dehumidifier inside if possible.

Registered
Not to highjack your thread, but what is the point of having the frame number accessible like this? We have the cars serial number at base of windshield, isn鈥檛 that enough? My 2015 accord has this frame number similar to yours, but my 1998 accord nor any of my other cars had an accessible frame number like this.

Registered
So you're making it easy for rodents to make themselves at home in your car... 馃榿

Kitty litter is good for the problem. Press it down in a layer to make good contact with the wet areas and let it sit awhile, then just vacuum it up. Repeat as necessary. And if it's scented kitty litter, it may help hide musty odors too.

2020 CBP Touring
Not to highjack your thread, but what is the point of having the frame number accessible like this? We have the cars serial number at base of windshield, isn鈥檛 that enough? My 2015 accord has this frame number similar to yours, but my 1998 accord nor any of my other cars had an accessible frame number like this.
First I've heard of it having an access panel as well, and if rodents get in there, it's even more unnecessary.

Registered
First I've heard of it having an access panel as well, and if rodents get in there, it's even more unnecessary.
This VIN location is shown right in the owner's manual for my '16...

Is there some rule about where and how many times the VIN has to be visible...?

Registered
Isn't there some sort of drain for the A/C that can back up if clogged? Maybe that's your source of water. Secondly, in that frame number compartment are there any openings large enough for an acorn when the cover is on?

2020 CBP Touring

Cruising in Montana
It's called 'hardware cloth', but actually it's made of galvanized steel and as such, is excellent for this application. Your local hardware store will cut a piece to whatever length you need, no need to buy a whole roll.

Is there some rule about where and how many times the VIN has to be visible...?
Probably. My '07 has it on the firewall, the two front fenders (on a sticker on the inside edge), the hood, and who knows where else.

'Chop shops' are the likely reason why.

2018 Accord Sport 2.0 in
Discussion Starter #18
Isn't there some sort of drain for the A/C that can back up if clogged? Maybe that's your source of water. Secondly, in that frame number compartment are there any openings large enough for an acorn when the cover is on?
Not from the interior. There is a wiring harness that runs along the rear side of it under the floor with a little space around it. I think that is the route it used to get in there, but not sure how it actually entered the car.

I did run air conditioning yesterday for about 45 minutes and no wet areas. I think the water came in because of driving in heavy rain.

Cruising in Montana
I did run air conditioning yesterday for about 45 minutes and no wet areas. I think the water came in because of driving in heavy rain.
Driving in heavy rain should not cause a wet carpet. Plugged sunroof drains and/or a plugged a/c evaporator drain could.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts