Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone else catch the news that Acura is bringing back the Integra name for a new car next spring, and (if the drones in the sky over Pebble Beach are to be believed) it will at least look like a proper hot hatch.

The Acura Integra Is Coming Back and “Will Live Up to the Hype”

Obviously, the MT article is a lot of speculation, but this news managed to punch through my usual Gen-X slacker-induced cynicism and put a smile on my face… and it may indeed end up putting a hole in my wallet.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Its exciting news they are bring back the name, but the new car needs to live up to the name. I had a feeling something was coming, as the ILX has not changed in several years now.
I'm guessing it will use the 1.5t like the Civic, maybe the 2.0t from the Accord. If its not available with a manual trans then someone at Acura has their head in the wrong space.

·
Gearhead Girl 🤟
1,134 Posts
But what if it ends up being automatic only like the new Toyota Supra? 🤔

I think, if nothing else, enthusiast cars like this should be available with a manual transmission!

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Give me SH-AWD and at least a manual option. I can live with a hybrid powertrain, as long as it's performance oriented.

And let's do actual, grippy seats with good bolstering, double wishbones all around, and a properly fast steering rack.

Anything else on my wishlist? I'll have to give it some thought.

·
Registered
113 Posts
This is great news. Back in the day, a couple of friends had Integras, one the 4 door version and the other the GS-R. Both amazing cars and in particular the GS-R was a beast, relatively speaking. If I recall, it scored very high on the HP/1.0L metric, and a light car. If the new models are anything like their past, that would be great! And yes, I hope there is a MT version! I'm more confident SH-AWD would be standard, given the trend towards that these days. It will be fun to keep an eye on this development!

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Damn this is great news!

To me this was one model that should’ve never been cancelled as they were selling like hot cakes back then.

Most likely it’ll be auto only but this is a step in the right direction!

Next up, Acura Legend maybe?

Reactions: DerekWildstar

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had a 1998 Integra LS that to this day is still the best-handling car I ever owned (side-note: the non-VTEC B18 motor never got the respect it was due - all the attention went to the VTEC version in the GS-R, but the one in the LS/GS was a peppy little lump that made decent torque and good power).

Now, the more cynical (a category which usually includes me) would say that this is simply an attempt to cash in on Gen-X/Millenial nostalgia. To which I say - here’s my cash. Take it. Take all the cash. Take it now (or, in the spring of 2022).

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
So Acura is going back to names of models?
Probably only this one. I have a feeling the “Legend” name might make a comeback too. Mainly because they sold so poorly under RL/RLX even though they were very nice cars.

Reactions: DerekWildstar

·
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A
10,204 Posts
I have a feeling the “Legend” name might make a comeback too. Mainly because they sold so poorly under RL/RLX even though they were very nice cars.
It sold poorly not because of the RL/RLX badge. Putting the Legend nameplate on it is just putting lipstick on a pig.

Was the RLX nice? Yes. Very nice? No.

You think Honda will bring back the Legend nameplate after announcing 2 month back they were going to discontinue it and wouldn't be bringing it back? :unsure:

TOKYO -- Honda Motor will stop production of the Clarity fuel cell car this year, the automaker said Tuesday, as part of a broader push to trim underperforming models.

Honda has also decided to stop making the Legend, its high-end gasoline-fueled sedan, as well as the Odyssey luxury sport utility vehicle. Realigning global manufacturing operations, the Japanese company will focus on electrics to advance toward its goal of selling only zero-emissions vehicles by 2040.

The Clarity, Legend and Odyssey are all assembled at the Sayama plant near Tokyo, which is slated to close in the fiscal year ending March 2022. Honda has decided not to move their production elsewhere once the plant has shut.

·
Elvira
3,604 Posts

·
2020 best year
4,205 Posts
It could be interesting. If Acura is approaching it like Cadillac is doing with the CT4-V Blackwing and CT5-V Blackwing, then manual isn't out of the cards. An ICE swansong of sorts, so to speak.

But then again, maybe the performance argument of modern auto will come out on top. We will just have to wait and see.

·
2020 best year
4,205 Posts

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
It sold poorly not because of the RL/RLX badge. Putting the Legend nameplate on it is just putting lipstick on a pig.

Was the RLX nice? Yes. Very nice? No.

You think Honda will bring back the Legend nameplate after announcing 2 month back they were going to discontinue it and wouldn't be bringing it back? :unsure:

TOKYO -- Honda Motor will stop production of the Clarity fuel cell car this year, the automaker said Tuesday, as part of a broader push to trim underperforming models.

Honda has also decided to stop making the Legend, its high-end gasoline-fueled sedan, as well as the Odyssey luxury sport utility vehicle. Realigning global manufacturing operations, the Japanese company will focus on electrics to advance toward its goal of selling only zero-emissions vehicles by 2040.

The Clarity, Legend and Odyssey are all assembled at the Sayama plant near Tokyo, which is slated to close in the fiscal year ending March 2022. Honda has decided not to move their production elsewhere once the plant has shut.
Well, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. It's probably just "nice" to you. To me, it's much better than that. I definitely felt that it was a very comfortable and solid car after a few test drives. The sound system in the advanced trim was also amazing. There are several others I've seen that also agree with me who also voted with their wallet. This is only the FWD version I'm talking about, which is actually slower than the 2.0t Accord, I can only imagine the Sport Hybrid version being that much better with its capability of reaching 60mph in just 4.9 sec. and averaging a rated 28-30 mpg combined. That was and still is an amazing achievement in and of itself, considering how solid (but heavy), quiet and comfortable that car was. It was a VERY solid car. To me, the issue with the low number of units sold meant finding supply of parts could be an issue over time, especially if they got axed (which they did).

The problem with the atrocious sales numbers didn't just have to do with the cars themselves. IMO Acura/Honda over-complicated the matter by having way too many trims and adding the PAWS to the base trims, which were also available at a much lower price point (TLX). At their price point, there should've been only SHAWD and SHAWD hybrid. Their tech/features also lagged behind a couple years into the model cycle. Honda/Acura could've easily updated the car with refreshed infotainment. Instead, they chose to only update the exterior, and basically let it die a slow death. Also, their marketing of the car sucked. I practically do not recall ever seeing any ad's on the RLX on TV even going back several years. At least, there was none worth remembering. Yet, I could still vividly remember the ad's of 2007-08 TL Type-S' and 7th gen Accord years after their production. In short, I don't think Acura cared much about selling much of them here in North America, at all, which led to their demise here and as a result (at least in part), its demise in Japan as the Legend.

As far as the names coming back. I never said I thought they'd make a comeback in two months or next model year. As far as somewhere way down in the future, who knows? Some examples of names / badges that came back after years of being discontinued:
NSX
TL(X) Type S
Integra

Is it likely that it will happen? Probably not. Is it possible? Yes, I believe so. We'll see.

·
Gearhead Girl 🤟
1,134 Posts
New teaser image released today. Apparently, it's a 4 door hatchback, or at least will be available as such.
Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Automotive design Hood

·
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A
10,204 Posts

Spied! Could This Be A Prototype Acura Integra?

September 3, 2021

Could this be the new Acura Integra?

When Zach sent in this photo to us, I’ll admit it the dimensions and camouflage threw me off. It doesn’t look like a coupe at first glance, so it can’t be the Acura Integra…right? For the uninitiated, the brand’s Civic-derived two-door model first appeared back in 1985, with the original production run ceasing in 2001. To this day, though, the Integra (and especially the Type R) has gone done as one of the best front-wheel drive sports cars ever — and Acura did tease a new model just a few weeks ago.

Still, there’s a lot we don’t know about the car at this point. Here’s what information Zach included with his photo:

“I saw this today (Sept. 3) driving around Columbus, Ohio. The front end (sorry no photo) was definitely an Acura front end, so I’m assuming that this is the upcoming Integra. Thought you might find interesting.”

[ . . . ]

Spy shot

Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire

Photochop someone did

Wheel Land vehicle Tire Car Vehicle

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Take my money. Take it now. All the money. Here you go.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts