Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
subtract 261000 miles to get engine mileage
14,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
pics to follow....

January 07, 2007

The show-stopping Acura “Advanced Sports Car Concept” made its world debut today at the 2007 North American International Auto Show. The dynamically styled concept provides a preview of the design direction for the successor to the Acura NSX.

Acura Advanced Sports Car Concept Created to take exotic sports car styling to a new level, the concept is designed to incorporate a powerful front-mounted, V-10 engine and a new high-performance, rear-wheel-drive based version of Acura’s exclusive Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™ (SH-AWD™).

“The Acura brand will always be a home for people who love to drive,” said Takeo Fukui, president & CEO of Honda Motor Co., Ltd. “As we advance toward building a car like this, I can tell you it will feature advanced technology matching our passion for performance.”

The concept’s exterior demonstrates a dynamic fusion of advanced technology and emotion. The long, pronounced hood features deeply sculpted lines and embossed air vents, both of which hint at the powerful engine beneath. The exterior lines run the length of the body, creating a ribbon-like effect from the front headlights to the rear wheel arches, evoking a feeling of movement and power.

Although modern in its appearance, the Advanced Sports Car Concept retains the subtle cues associated with its predecessor, the NSX. The concept’s slim, LED headlights are pushed wide and designed to mimic the pop-up headlights found on the first generation NSX. Other styling hints include a modern take on wraparound rear taillights and the all black ****pit.

“Our intention was to design an exotic sports car that gracefully combines advanced technology and strong emotion,” said Jon Ikeda, principal designer, Acura Design Center. “The technical, machined surfaces and keen-edge design are balanced with sweeping curves and dramatic lines, all of which results in the ultimate exotic sports car.”

Wide and low to the ground with a 108.8 inch wheelbase, the concept is anchored by grippy 19 inch front and 20 inch rear performance tires which are mounted to custom billet-machined, polished aluminum wheels. Powerful, ventilated carbon ceramic brake discs and eight-piston calipers accent the wheels. Bold wheel arches and flares add to the concept’s aggressive appearance.

Acura Advanced Sports Car Concept The low slung cabin is constructed entirely of tinted glass and sits flush against the body. Door handles are also flush mounted, allowing the sports car to retain a clean and aerodynamic appearance. The Advanced Sports Car Concept features a carbon fiber underbody and the rear is finished with aggressive quad exhaust pipes and integrated rear diffusers, further communicating its high performance potential.

The Advanced Sports Car Concept was designed by the Acura’s Los Angeles-based design team that will be based at the new Acura Design Center, opening this summer.

·
14,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
1 of 2

Attachments

·
14,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
pic 2 of 2

Attachments

·
Banned
56 Posts
namegoeshere said:
Looks like a chunkier (swollen?) Corvette to me. :D

totally agree, not half bad lookin car though :yes:

·
31.3 MPG!
556 Posts
I'm surprised TOV isn't all over this.

Too much camo to make much of a judgment right now, but at least it appears to look sporty.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I agree... it could be a whole new car, but the front and rear are completely HONDA

Aluminum control arms FTW

·
Registered
563 Posts
I Want One!!!!

·
OWLS Don't Sleep
1,140 Posts
Honda/Acura is doing a great job these days covering up their mules. Even the TL mules have color-matched body tape on them which is easily missed/misunderstood by some. They definitely like to keep everyone surprised when the product is finally unveiled.

This car looks very impressive even with the camo.

·
Keepin' It R-E-A-L...!!!
3,914 Posts
To the NSX-purists, this is an abomination (ie. front-engine, GT, etc'...).

I, personally, am quite curious to what eventually is offered! Lots to look fwd to... V10, aluminum/composite body, track suspension/brakes, etc'!

·
OWLS Don't Sleep
1,140 Posts

I, personally, am quite curious to what eventually is offered! Lots to look fwd to... V10, aluminum/composite body, track suspension/brakes, etc'!
Just say it. It BETTER be BETTER than the Skyline. :)

·
Keepin' It R-E-A-L...!!!
3,914 Posts
Just say it. It BETTER be BETTER than the Skyline. :)
To be quite honest, that'll be a rather tall order... especially w/ the better performing GTR Spec_V coming out soon!

I *think* Honda is going for a niche` market, again. I'm not sure if this particular model will be hand-assembled in a dedicated factory like the NSX was. But, they will showcase it as their 'halo' car for the Int'l market, as they introduce their Acura-brand to Europe, Middle East, Southeast Asia, and most importantly: Japan.

I hope they can keep the weight down in the final version. The V10 being developed is rumored to be 4.5L - 5.0L & developing 450hp - 550hp, respectively. SH-AWD is also rumored.

In a platform-maximizing move, Honda might even consider using the newly developed V10 for a high-end premium sedan slated above the current RL. Again, this is all speculation and so forth.

I'm still not sure if Honda is aiming for the M6, Aston Martin V8 Vantage, Audi R8, Mercedes Benz SL AMG, Jaguar XKR, Cadillac XLR-V, ie. $100k - $125k -OR- Ferrari 599GTB Fiorano, Aston Martin DBS, Lexus LF-A, Bentley Continental GT, ie. $225+. . .

·
Boom-shaka-laka-laka
633 Posts
You'd think the camo on this will try to make it NOT noticeable. I would be able to see this from miles away and tell its something that I shouldn't be able to see. Looks hot though, a bit like a lotus if I may say so

·
Keepin' It R-E-A-L...!!!
3,914 Posts
... Looks hot though, a bit like a lotus if I may say so
Interesting that you say that, many of the NSX-enthusiasts are hoping that this test-mule is actually for the S2000 replacement/successor.

It's really challenging to ascertain much from spy-shots when the camouflage is so well done; aside from the distracting graphics, the actual body-panels might be pseudo-bolt'ons simply to test out a chassis/engine-configuration.

What's kinda funny is perhaps the joke that Honda might be playin' on us...

"when you hear hooves beat, think horses - not zebras..."

·
Go Black and Gold.
546 Posts

If it is front engined it better not say NSX on it.

·
OWLS Don't Sleep
1,140 Posts
Very true, indeed.

Just curious Osiris_x11, where do you get your information from? I always have a tough time finding information on the next NSX and S2000 successor.

·
Keepin' It R-E-A-L...!!!
3,914 Posts
KunalPatel87, I'm a regular on www.nsxprime.com. That's pretty much the universal site for the NSX. It has an excellent FAQ/Wiki section, as well as very well informed and interactive members.

There is also www.nsxcb.co.uk for the English & European peeps'.

Hondaboy9602 said:
It's quite doubtful that the new Acura 'halo' sports-car will be called NSX. I *think* the press simply means 'Acura's new flagship/halo/super sports-car' when they say "NSX-successor", "new NSX", blah-bla-bha. . .

So far, there has been no inclination nor effort by Honda to allude to a MR-design; so front-engine has be assumed to be the default layout.

If the HSC (my avatar) was ultimately produced or the forthcoming Acura sports-car had styling cues from it, I'd be incredibly keen towards acquiring one in the future.

But, as far as GT's go... I'd rather get the class, prestige, luxury, and opulence of an Aston Martin.

Regarding reasonably priced exotic mid-engine cars w/ great performance, acceptable quality, and a desired MR-layour... the Gallardo, and 360 F1 Modena make compelling choices.

But, of-course I'd prefer some new exotic, MR sports-car from Acura... but I can't ask for something that won't happen!

·
Super Moderator
7,848 Posts
You'd think the camo on this will try to make it NOT noticeable. I would be able to see this from miles away and tell its something that I shouldn't be able to see.
It's called Marketing 101, drum up a frenzy amongst automotive reporters, enthusiasts, car magazines, spy photographers, newspapers, TV stations etc.

Imagine the free advertizing this generates.

It was said when Coke announced they are going to stop producing the original Coke back 20 years ago, that the resulting outcry from the public, and the reintroduction of the Coke Classic to be one of the best marketing plot the company came up with, it generated a huge amount of free attention for the Coke product that would have cost millions of dollars if it were "regular" commercials.

1 - 20 of 123 Posts