Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It took about 20 min per car. I got the power using spade connectors and a short piece of wire, then made a jumper that taps off the back of the cigarette lighter, so I didn't have to splice into the factory wiring. Then I used some Honda EPT sealer tape to cover everything.The 3 coil charger allows it to sit anywhere in the cubby and work. The charger comes with the red/blue LED lead. When you have the center console out just pop the top cover off the cubby and wedge the LED board in the top. The cover will snap back on and hold it in place. So it can all be removed if you want, without any permanent modification to the car.

Video of it in action (22mb) https://app.box.com/s/lti8mebmvge7r6gkdobr

Charger http://goo.gl/j0ExJ9

Power supply http://goo.gl/W2JtrQ

Attachments

· JaeDM
634 Posts
wow that is dope!

· 1 of a Kind
376 Posts
Man this is a great idea, but the size of my samsung note 4 is too big for that cubby. Maybe i can try this out in the cup holder.

Thanks for the tip!! :notworthy

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe in the storage with the door above then. You need to have the phone and the charger sitting parallel and as close as possible. 5-40 mm is the Qi charging spec. This charger is rated at 5 mm but I'm closer to a 7 mm gap and it's working fine.

If you don't have Qi charging built in to the phone you can add something like this http://goo.gl/Dn4cmE I had to add this to both of our Moto X's. This is a great Qi receiver, and one of the only that I've found that outputs a full amp. Most only output 500-850 ma.

· Blinded by the light
1,758 Posts
Very cool, I considered doing this but I was (and am) afraid that my phone won't be close enough to the charger. My LG G2 is fairly long so there is a gap between the phone and the plastic tray. I'm going to buy this and run some tests with my power supply to see how this will work for me!

Good work!

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, I was a little worried about the gap as well. The 3 coil charger seems to help a lot. It's able to adjust power levels and split power up simultaneously between the coils based on position. My plan B if the gap was too wide, was to make a small slice in the plastic under the rubber mat, that would allow me to place the coils directly under the rubber mat.

I don't think you'll have any issues. I believe the charger requires a 2 amp power supply so make sure yours is rated for at least that. Good luck

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My wife and I both have the Motorola Moto X. I took the pictures with my phone and used her's as the demo. I have the supcase on mine. Her phone in the photo has a 5 dollar amazon TPU case. It's not the thickest ever but offers good protection.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree the less material between the phone and the charger the better. However I love having the rubber mat. I never use to keep anything any there because it would slide or roll back and forth every time I would turn. I have 2013's as well and they didn't come with the rubber mat either. I ordered them from the dealer for $10 or $12 I think. The rubber mat definitely helps the phone stay put, it never shifts usually.

· Blinded by the light
1,758 Posts
I agree the less material between the phone and the charger the better. However I love having the rubber mat. I never use to keep anything any there because it would slide or roll back and forth every time I would turn. I have 2013's as well and they didn't come with the rubber mat either. I ordered them from the dealer for $10 or $12 I think. The rubber mat definitely helps the phone stay put, it never shifts usually.
You don't have the part number, do you? I don't see it in the diagram for the 2014...

· No Gears, Got CVT :)
675 Posts
Before your post I was thinking of keeping my wireless charger in the car.

Do you have a part number for the Honda EPT sealer tape? I would think other foam tape could be used. I'm thinking about adding a switch to turn off the charger. I read something a while back on a Android forum that it is a good idea not to keep a Nexus phone on a wireless charger once it is charged.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
06990-SA5-000

http://www.collegehillshonda.com/product/06990-SA5-000.html

The foam tape may not be necessary. It just holds everything in place nicely. I had some left over from doing the wind noise fix. There's not a lot of clearance, so I thought it might rub against the plastic behind the console and make noise. You could cut out the area behind for more clearance. It appears to be an empty space. I've never had any issues with leaving my phone sitting on the charger overnight at home. The phone doesn't act any differently than it does when it's plugged in. The charger will turn off when the batteries full.

· Registered
782 Posts
What other phones have qi charging capabilities? Is the Moto 360 the only phone? Great idea OP
Nexus 4,5 and 6... Some phones with a removable battery cover can be retrofitted...I am not sure the difference in charging rate vs the USB plug, but the convenience and lack of wear and tear on that plug are worth it most of the time for me

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.