Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· No Gears, Got CVT :)
675 Posts
Before your post I was thinking of keeping my wireless charger in the car.

Do you have a part number for the Honda EPT sealer tape? I would think other foam tape could be used. I'm thinking about adding a switch to turn off the charger. I read something a while back on a Android forum that it is a good idea not to keep a Nexus phone on a wireless charger once it is charged.

675 Posts
Does anyone have tips on removing the console, maybe a video? I found a video for removing the console's trim but not the console.

DIY 2013 2014 2015 Honda Accord Center Console Side Trim Removal video:
http://youtu.be/3ANIljKx70s

675 Posts

675 Posts
Extreme thanks to the Original Poster.

My Nexus 5 phone works great with this setup even when it is a little tall and does not lay flat when being charged.

Notes & Photos about my instillation:

My Accord has factory navgation so the space above the cubby hole has a control box. This control box is not deep so there was plenty of room to mount the 12v to 5v converter and a switch behind it.

I first used the same DC-DC converter with built-in USB cable as the OP. I had it all wired and tested, however the USB connector broke off the PCB as I was placing the console back into the car. So I wired it directly to the PCB.

I ended up using a different DC-DC converter. This converter is larger, heavier, and cost more at $7.49. But is rated with the same 5v 3 amps output as the original. I think most any DC-DC converter will do but I prefer without the USB cable and just solder the power to the PCB.

Pic of direct wiring points on the PCB
Pic of switch
Pic with tape
Pic with padding (1 layer of packing which came with the charger)
Pic testing outside of car

See next post for remaining of photos.
Pic of DC-DC converter
Pic with console removed
Pic in car

Attachments

675 Posts
Extreme thanks to the Original Poster.

My Nexus 5 phone works great with this setup even when it is a little tall and does not lay flat when being charged.

Notes & Photos about my instillation:

My Accord has factory navgation so the space above the cubby hole has a control box. This control box is not deep so there was plenty of room to mount the 12v to 5v converter and a switch behind it.

I first used the same DC-DC converter with built-in USB cable as the OP. I had it all wired and tested, however the USB connector broke off the PCB as I was placing the console back into the car. So I wired it directly to the PCB.

I ended up using a different DC-DC converter. This converter is larger, heavier, and cost more at $7.49. But is rated with the same 5v 3 amps output as the original. I think most any DC-DC converter will do but I prefer without the USB cable and just solder the power to the PCB.

Pic of direct wiring points on the PCB
Pic of switch
Pic with tape
Pic with padding (1 layer of packing which came with the charger)
Pic testing outside of car
Remaining photos.
Pic of DC-DC converter
Pic with console removed
Pic in car

Attachments

675 Posts
I was so going to do this mod...But I got the N6, and it doesn't fit the cubby hole....:(
My Accord has a control panel above the cubby hole but I believe many Accords as a storage bin above it. It you have the storage bin, the charger may may have room under it to fit the charger. The charger is thin. This should be easy to check without removing the console. Just remove the console's trim as a video link in this thread shows. Then remove the storage bin by removing two screws.

I was thinking of mounting a second charger for my tablet under the flat panel in front of the iMid display. I have not checked if this is possible but that may also be a possibility for you.

675 Posts
I did not use a USB cable but connect the power supply directly to the MB. I have a photo of the connection points in post 31.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.