Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Man, this is brilliant. If my HTC One M8 had Qi charging, I'd be looking seriously at doing this.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Thanks for all the compliments. As of 2013 several car manufacturers are starting to offer this option. Chrystler/Jeep, Toyota, and Audi are a few. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before more will. As far as I know all of the manufacturers have some sort of foreign object detection systems. They either use IR sensors or cubby with doors. Since the wireless charging uses magnetic resonance to charge, if coins or other small metal objects accidentally sit between the charging coil and the receiving coil for long periods it could heat the metal. I'm not really worried about this. The odds of this happening are slim. I only put my phone in this cubby, and it's only an issue while charging. Hopefully something like Ubeam takes off. It uses ultrasound to charge several devices simultaneously at up to 30 feet!

Several phones and now watches come with Qi charging out of the box. Unfortunately my Moto x did not. So as I posted on the previous page I added a $12 Qi receiver that plugs into the USB port. It's basically a really thin sticker with a wire coil inside. It sits between my case and the back of my phone and then plugs in the USB connector.

As far as charging rate vs USB. The max you'll get is 1 amp from the wireless charging. I was previously using a wired USB charger that output 2.4 amps and it could keep up with consumption plus easily charge the phone. I'm the type that demands a lot from my phone while in the car. I usually stream Google music at the highest quality (connected via Bluetooth), while Waze is always navigating with the screen on. With the wireless charging it will keep up with my usage, but can't put anything additional into the battety . For example, if I get in my car with 90% and drive for an hour then get out I'll still have 90%.
My wife usually only streams podcast/audible or talks on the phone while the screens off and she can wirelessly charge quickly.

I've been an Audio/Video Tech for 14 years. I install automation (mostly Crestron) in commercial applications (anything from board rooms to fire stations, and residential (full home control with touchpanels)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I've also mounted one of these 3 coil chargers on the bottom side of the top of my wooden night stand. Working great!

·
Blinded by the light
1,551 Posts
I received my QI Charger on Saturday and set it up. I ended up soldering a micro usb cable because I had easier access to a simple 5V 3A power supply. I had to get it very close to the front of the pocket since my phones (LG G2 with built in QI) QI charging area was on the bottom of the phone. It seems to charge at a good speed. I'll have to see how well my phone works down there with Spotify running on 4G (if it disconnects to 4G or Bluetooth).

This is a great mod, I highly recommend it!

·
No Gears, Got CVT :)
551 Posts
Does anyone have tips on removing the console, maybe a video? I found a video for removing the console's trim but not the console.

DIY 2013 2014 2015 Honda Accord Center Console Side Trim Removal video:
http://youtu.be/3ANIljKx70s

·
551 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Almost any phone can have wireless charging capabilities:

Edit: I can only assume the coils are facing towards the cubby hole? I notice the 3M sticker side but I assume you can't utilize it.

·
Blinded by the light
1,551 Posts
Almost any phone can have wireless charging capabilities:

http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Wireless-Charging-Receiver-micro-USB/dp/B00H7FJX7M

Edit: I can only assume the coils are facing towards the cubby hole? I notice the 3M sticker side but I assume you can't utilize it.
Another method is to purchase the chargers that go under the phone's cover, some have different back plates too.

http://www.mobilefun.com/44517-qi-internal-wireless-charging-adapter-for-samsung-galaxy-s5.htm

·
551 Posts
Extreme thanks to the Original Poster.

My Nexus 5 phone works great with this setup even when it is a little tall and does not lay flat when being charged.

Notes & Photos about my instillation:

My Accord has factory navgation so the space above the cubby hole has a control box. This control box is not deep so there was plenty of room to mount the 12v to 5v converter and a switch behind it.

I first used the same DC-DC converter with built-in USB cable as the OP. I had it all wired and tested, however the USB connector broke off the PCB as I was placing the console back into the car. So I wired it directly to the PCB.

I ended up using a different DC-DC converter. This converter is larger, heavier, and cost more at $7.49. But is rated with the same 5v 3 amps output as the original. I think most any DC-DC converter will do but I prefer without the USB cable and just solder the power to the PCB.

Pic of direct wiring points on the PCB
Pic of switch
Pic with tape
Pic with padding (1 layer of packing which came with the charger)
Pic testing outside of car

See next post for remaining of photos.
Pic of DC-DC converter
Pic with console removed
Pic in car

Attachments

·
551 Posts
Extreme thanks to the Original Poster.

My Nexus 5 phone works great with this setup even when it is a little tall and does not lay flat when being charged.

Notes & Photos about my instillation:

My Accord has factory navgation so the space above the cubby hole has a control box. This control box is not deep so there was plenty of room to mount the 12v to 5v converter and a switch behind it.

I first used the same DC-DC converter with built-in USB cable as the OP. I had it all wired and tested, however the USB connector broke off the PCB as I was placing the console back into the car. So I wired it directly to the PCB.

I ended up using a different DC-DC converter. This converter is larger, heavier, and cost more at $7.49. But is rated with the same 5v 3 amps output as the original. I think most any DC-DC converter will do but I prefer without the USB cable and just solder the power to the PCB.

Pic of direct wiring points on the PCB
Pic of switch
Pic with tape
Pic with padding (1 layer of packing which came with the charger)
Pic testing outside of car
Remaining photos.
Pic of DC-DC converter
Pic with console removed
Pic in car

Attachments

·
551 Posts
I was so going to do this mod...But I got the N6, and it doesn't fit the cubby hole....:(
My Accord has a control panel above the cubby hole but I believe many Accords as a storage bin above it. It you have the storage bin, the charger may may have room under it to fit the charger. The charger is thin. This should be easy to check without removing the console. Just remove the console's trim as a video link in this thread shows. Then remove the storage bin by removing two screws.

I was thinking of mounting a second charger for my tablet under the flat panel in front of the iMid display. I have not checked if this is possible but that may also be a possibility for you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I think I had to trim some of the rubber strain relief molding. Use a small pair of cutters or a razor blade and carefully remove as much of the molding on the wire as you can. Sometimes you can peel it off. This will allow the wire to bend out of the way enough to clear. Or like someone posted above chop the connector and solder the power wires directly to the board

·
551 Posts
I did not use a USB cable but connect the power supply directly to the MB. I have a photo of the connection points in post 31.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts