Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I picked up a 2014 touring last week and as I'm sure most of you know, the "premium" sound system leaves something to be desired.

I'm on the fence between doing a 5 channel amp and replacing everything, or just dropping a sub/amp combo to fill out the low end. I'm currently leaning towards the simple sub/amp combo as I don't really want to get too intrusive with a car that has less than 500 miles on it.

My question is, has anyone unplugged the factory sub completely and used this signal to feed the amp? My thought that you would be able to use the stock HU's levels to control the volume of the sub (it sounds like garbage and I'm going to be unplugging it either way)

Any feedback/stories from experience would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I added a powered sub to my 13 EX-L . Sure it had more bass but to my ears it still sounded terrible , just more bass. A week later I took it out and added a 5 channel amp , replaced all speakers and added a small sub .

If you get a amp I recommend to bypass or remove the factory amp . Thd Honda amp is terrible

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
608 Posts
I added an alpine monoblock amp to my EX-L Nav. The store completely screwed up my woofer order so I have to wait on that. I spent the weekend (a few hours actually) to install the amp and am feeding it to the stock sub through speaker-level inputs on the subline. Significant increase in bass response! and I'm being very very conservative on the bass gain due to fear of blowing the woofer, which I know can't come close to handling the full power of my amp. I have to say it's not bad at all... quite amazing actually for a stock free-air woofer. Not so much loud as it is just low with good response. Therefore, the stock amplification seems to be a major issue here... it just doesn't deliver the power the stock woofer needs. Of course, once you do the amp, you might as well go "all in" and do the woofer too. But at least it's an option for those who want to do upgrades in stages due to money/time issues.

And yes, you can control the bass response through the subwoofer sound setting. However, if you're a bass head you'd probably want some kind of physical knob controller, which most mono amps are able to do. It's just a lot easier with the knob than dealing with that resistive mid touch screen.

So far, I've changed my tweeters in the tweeter pods, retained the door woofer, replaced the rear deck speakers, and as mentioned, added the mono sub amp. I've done it all myself and have to say everything is really easy to do. It was a breeze getting the power line from the battery into the car since the Accord has a factory firewall grommet just inviting you to do this. Even though my setup is no where near complete to how I want it, the difference in sound quality is at least ten-fold from what it was stock.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts