Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As my "done deal" came undone, I decided to look for a coupe since I really want to make this my project car and feel that there are greater options for the coupe vs the sedan (plus I already own a sedan). I've read a ton on the differences, but haven't physically been in either generation.

Coupe owners, if you were buying another would you go 7.5 or 8 gen?

Please keep in mind I will want to upgrade brakes, install larger rims, and upgrade exhaust. May want to throw a tune into it (not sure if really needed as I am not a speed demon and the V6 may suffice). As the rear seats would never be used, not a factor. I am 6'2" 215 lbs. I don't find the 7gen seats all that comfortable given my chest size and thighs. Kind of tight (if this makes a difference).

So help me out. Which generation would work better for me? TIA.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
That stinks about the 6-6 sedan :(.....

IMO, I prefer the 7.5g over the 8g. But I would suggest test driving both. Good luck with your search.

·
Don't drink and drive
5,162 Posts
I like the 8G couple body style. I've driven one too. I'd go for the newer one.

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That stinks about the 6-6 sedan :(.....

IMO, I prefer the 7.5g over the 8g. But I would suggest test driving both. Good luck with your search.
I am going to see if I can find one local to test drive. At least it will give me an idea. Except they're kind of rare. May just test drive an AT.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
From what I have seen, I think a lot of the mods for the 7th and 8th Gen coupes are similar; I am talking about J-Pipes, manifolds, etc.

I don't think you could go wrong with either. I will say that if you want to go with bigger wheels, I think the 8th Gen coupe body style looks WAY better with anything over 18" in my opinion.

Overall, the body of the 8th Gen is bigger. I am 6'0 at 200 lbs and I fit comfortably in my 7th Gen, but I will agree, the seats are not that comfortable... Especially on longer trips.

If you can find a good deal on a 05-07 7th Gen coupe, I would probably go that route, since I prefer the look of the 7th Gen. I like the 8th Gen coupe as well, but I don't like the rear end near as much.

It's all up to you man, good luck on your decision.\

P.S. - 8th Gen Coupe with Vossens = Sex.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
I'd go 7.5. I'm just not a fan of the 8.

·
Registered
603 Posts
hmm, I like the styling of the 8th gen a bit better if I'm being honest and with the 8th you get newer tech and all that, the body looks better with mods and by that i mean, for the most part a kitted out 8th gen will most likely look better then a 7th gen unless riced

For me (for you it could be different) the pros and cons are:

7th gen pros:
usually cheaper
parts should be easier to find, not that its gonna be hard for the 8th gen
handles better due to the smaller, lighter size and smaller engine 3.0 vs 3.5
you get to deal with jimijam on this subform :D

cons:
I'm not a big fan of the tail lights
smaller 3L vs 3.5L v6
older, outdated tech

8th gen pros:
newer tech
bigger engine
more space
dat 3.5L v6 with vtec yo!
probably deals with bad roads better but I haven't tested that for myself

cons:
newer tech means more things can go wrong
if you though the 7th gen was a boat to drive, wait till you get to the 8th gen
probably more expensive
I don't think jimijam patrols the 8th gen forum ;)

thats it for now id check youtube, its a great source

·
Fear The Turtle!
2,166 Posts
I'd go with the 7th gen personally. I like the interior style much better and the exterior is a wash. I don't think you're really giving anything up in features either. The only upside to the 8th gen IMO is more aftermarket parts availability.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
I am going to see if I can find one local to test drive. At least it will give me an idea. Except they're kind of rare. May just test drive an AT.
The only way to find out which one you personally like better, is to test drive both. I would suspect the MT would drive a little different from the AT though.

Personally I never really cared for the 8th gen sedan or coupe...if I were to get another Accord, it would be a 7.5 or 9th gen.

·
Don't drink and drive
5,162 Posts
Opinions are biased here. Most are towards the 7G, because we have the 7G! Just get whichever you like. The choice should be yours, nobody else's.

·
07 I4 MT coupe
254 Posts
If it was going to be a project car I would be going for something that isn't an accord.

That's what I did, my Porsche 944 turbo has more modding options than an accord ever will. It is also RWD and is weight balanced 50/50 almost perfectly while only costing me about $6K.

And you get to see the priceless look on the civic kids faces when you tell them that your turbo runs 26 PSI stock.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts