Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 196 Posts

·
乌龙队
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First and formost, I would like to say that I have 0% of mechanic experience. The only time I ever mess with stuff under the hood was to install my HIDs.

To start, you will need a socket wrench extension bar to reach one of the harder to reach screws.

After the receiving the package, the installation begins.

Stock air filter is taken out:

Don't forget to remove the MAF sensor off of the stock and put it into the Takeda:

The only difficult parts were pulling the tubes off. The clamp clips were EXTREMELY difficult to press with my thumbs, you really have to get a skinny pliers to reach some small areas. Other than that, it should take no than 1 hour or so to install.

Here is a video (before, after and exhaust note. Apologize for the sound, iPhone 5's audio recording is kind of bleh):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GfWS1M0LqE

I also tried to record a vid why driving on highway but I almost got pulled over... But I can tell you that the acceleration sound is so much more powerful than the normal sound.

Thanks for reading! :thmsup:

·
Banned
5,775 Posts
Very nice write up. Much appreciated. Looks like I have to get one now.

You could also remove the lower air ducting/resonator to save weight.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Nice job. Definitely sounds better. Have you gone WOT? Any difference when vtec kicks in?

·
6MT JUNKIE
719 Posts
Nice job
.......still waiting on injen :) but sounds good

·
Registered
360 Posts
You could also remove the lower air ducting/resonator to save weight.
Might be better to leave it in to have some air flow coming to the filter.

·
Banned
5,775 Posts
Might be better to leave it in to have some air flow coming to the filter.
I highly doubt it will make any difference. The ducting is already poor to begin with, with all of its sharp bends and curves. Factory air boxes are usually designed this way to reduce noise, not for airflow. If Honda wanted it to duct air, they would have done a much better job.

·
Registered
230 Posts
It looks great and sound not bad.. but still wait for INJEN

·
乌龙队
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice job. Definitely sounds better. Have you gone WOT? Any difference when vtec kicks in?
When the vtec kicks in, the. vtec. KICKS IN!

However, like another other intakes, mileage is definitely lower than before. I was going at 37-40 on highways, but today I tested on like a 20miles run, I only got 29-32. I don't mind the mileage because drive my I4 now it is definitely more fun than before!

Can't wait to see what Injen has to offer, but I am happy with aFe for now...

·
Registered
230 Posts
thanks for sharing

·
Registered
230 Posts
When the vtec kicks in, the. vtec. KICKS IN!

However, like another other intakes, mileage is definitely lower than before. I was going at 37-40 on highways, but today I tested on like a 20miles run, I only got 29-32. I don't mind the mileage because drive my I4 now it is definitely more fun than before!

Wow,that's a kicker when it lower miles. Have to consider when do this mod now.. thnx for sharing.

·
6MT JUNKIE
719 Posts
I ordered one, why not?

my gas mpg around town already ****s.....lol
Its prolly better then the cone filter mod ;).

·
'13 Accord Sport
239 Posts
A proper air intake that does not hamper air flow efficiency should not decrease mileage. You are most likely pulling in more warm air than before. I would wait for INJEN to come out with something. I've seen great results in person from their setups. I have a buddy with a G37 sedan with INJEN's cold air intake and his mpg's went up, as well as the pleasant sound. He had the same setup on the 370z with similar results.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Warmer air means less dense oxygen which means less fuel and better MPGs. There's way more physics involved, but that's the general argument I've heard in regards to warmer IAT vs MPGs. I suspect the decrease in MPGs is directly related to playing hard with the new intake.

·
Banned
5,775 Posts
^^^^ yeah I meant denser air in regards to CAIs, not the one the OP posted about, but the OP's intake is still pulling in a larger volume of air through that free flowing pipe and big cone filter with a large surface area which means more fuel will need to be used to adjust for the proper air/fuel ratio.

·
Banned
395 Posts
First and formost, I would like to say that I have 0% of mechanic experience. The only time I ever mess with stuff under the hood was to install my HIDs.

To start, you will need a socket wrench extension bar to reach one of the harder to reach screws.

After the receiving the package, the installation begins.

Stock air filter is taken out:

Don't forget to remove the MAF sensor off of the stock and put it into the Takeda:

The only difficult parts were pulling the tubes off. The clamp clips were EXTREMELY difficult to press with my thumbs, you really have to get a skinny pliers to reach some small areas. Other than that, it should take no than 1 hour or so to install.

I also tried to record a vid why driving on highway but I almost got pulled over... But I can tell you that the acceleration sound is so much more powerful than the normal sound.

Thanks for reading! :thmsup:
I want to install an Afe system for my 2006 automatic V6. Is there one available and what would be total cost + install. Or I want to upgrade the existing stock setup with a home depot mod.

edit: I didn't realize the filter sits on top of the engine versus in a box like the stock setup. Cancel this setup for me, I'm out because I want to keep the filter covered as much as possible. I want to do a home depot mod on the existing setup..

·
Registered
20 Posts
I suspect there's no difference in the volume of air both systems pull at lower RPMs (RPMs that would be condusive to good MPGs) Rather than show videos of before and after sound, IMO it would be intersting to see IAT temps before and after. My IAT is generally 10*F greater than the outside air temp with the stock air box in all driving conditions.

1 - 20 of 196 Posts