Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Reader for a while but first post. Have a 13 sport and love it.

Yesterday I got my oil changed at a (non dealer) mechanic. After I picked up car, I turned it on and noticed the LCD screen was rotating through white bands/all white. I could still hear the radio playing and could switch the stations using the controls. When I switch into reverse the camera does not display on the screen, just the white.

The mechanic had no idea and denied they could have hurt it (although it was working fine on the way in and this is a relatively new car, so I doubt it just coincidentally broke).

Took it to dealer who tried resetting it, flashing the newest audio update etc, and no luck. The dealer says they need to call Honda central on Monday and ask them what to do. They preliminarily think that maybe the mechanic didn't know how to reset the oil usage indicator, and was messing with the battery and fried some part of the electrical system.

Does anyone know what to do or have you had this happen? I'm at a loss. I really appreciate any help anyone might have.

·
Registered
924 Posts
most likely the mechanic screwed something up trying to reset the oil life indicator. my only suggestion would be to run the self check and test system in the diagnostic menu if you are able to on your trim level. there is a thread around here detailing how to run it but to get to it will vary based on your trim level.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply - problem is I can't access any menu - the screen is completely white/unreadable. No text is visible.

·
Elvira
3,442 Posts
Hi everyone,

Reader for a while but first post. Have a 13 sport and love it.

Yesterday I got my oil changed at a (non dealer) mechanic. After I picked up car, I turned it on and noticed the LCD screen was rotating through white bands/all white. I could still hear the radio playing and could switch the stations using the controls. When I switch into reverse the camera does not display on the screen, just the white.

The mechanic had no idea and denied they could have hurt it (although it was working fine on the way in and this is a relatively new car, so I doubt it just coincidentally broke).

Took it to dealer who tried resetting it, flashing the newest audio update etc, and no luck. The dealer says they need to call Honda central on Monday and ask them what to do. They preliminarily think that maybe the mechanic didn't know how to reset the oil usage indicator, and was messing with the battery and fried some part of the electrical system.

Does anyone know what to do or have you had this happen? I'm at a loss. I really appreciate any help anyone might have.
Does your ticket mention anything about the audio system update being performed on your car?

If the update is performed wrong by turning engine off during the update or some other seemingly innocuous mistake WILL trash the audio system. It is written in the procedure for the tech to follow. Early on reflashes of the audio system when done incorrectly needed to have the entire head unit replaced. It also was replaced with refurbished units not new ones.

Check your ticket to see if the reflash of the head unit was performed.

Miker

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Miker, thanks - the white screen happened directly after the oil change and oil indicator reset at the mechanic, and before I took it to the dealer for diagnosis. So I don't think it was something the dealer did.

On the dealer ticket it says "checked for audio updates, no updates were found to cure symptoms" and "audio system reboot was performed and did not resolve customers original concern" "will need to contact honda of america for further diagnosis"

·
Elvira
3,442 Posts
Miker, thanks - the white screen happened directly after the oil change and oil indicator reset at the mechanic, and before I took it to the dealer for diagnosis. So I don't think it was something the dealer did.

On the dealer ticket it says "checked for audio updates, no updates were found to cure symptoms" and "audio system reboot was performed and did not resolve customers original concern" "will need to contact honda of america for further diagnosis"
My bad. I didn't read your post as closely as I thought. The Non-dealer oil change mechanic of course wouldn't touch the audio upgrade.

Are you willing to remove the battery cables and restting the entire system? Sometimes this procedure fixes a lot of bugs. Not sure if that was meant by the dealer note about audio reboot though.

Have your radio code written down somewhere FIRST.
Remove both battery cables for couple minutes and touch them together to drain any residual juice in the system and clear the computer.
Reconnect the cables and see if the radio requests the code.
Enter it.

It just may have gotten into a funky mode.

Miker

·
Registered
56 Posts
My bad. I didn't read your post as closely as I thought. The Non-dealer oil change mechanic of course wouldn't touch the audio upgrade.

Are you willing to remove the battery cables and restting the entire system? Sometimes this procedure fixes a lot of bugs. Not sure if that was meant by the dealer note about audio reboot though.

Have your radio code written down somewhere FIRST.
Remove both battery cables for couple minutes and touch them together to drain any residual juice in the system and clear the computer.
Reconnect the cables and see if the radio requests the code.
Enter it.

It just may have gotten into a funky mode.

Miker

O/T but my salesman told me Honda did away with the radio code for 9th gen...he was wrong?

·
Elvira
3,442 Posts
O/T but my salesman told me Honda did away with the radio code for 9th gen...he was wrong?
Your salesguy was "kinda correct" in the sense that all you need to do is press and hold the power button for two seconds and if the system recognizes the radio as the original radio, it will enter the code automatically. :thmsup:

BUT if for some reason it doesn't automatically enter it, you still need to manually press the code in.

So, my statement of having the code is a CYA move just in case!!!!

Miker

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So with the removing the battery cables and touching the wires together - the dealer service guy said yesterday they think maybe that's what the mechanic might have done to reset the oil indicator, and that possibly could have damaged the system.

Can you achieve the same effect by simply removing the battery cables and not touching them together?

Also, if I can't actually see the screen, and I do the reset, and I need to enter the radio code, can I do that? At least my radio works right now...

·
Elvira
3,442 Posts
So with the removing the battery cables and touching the wires together - the dealer service guy said yesterday they think maybe that's what the mechanic might have done to reset the oil indicator, and that possibly could have damaged the system.

Can you achieve the same effect by simply removing the battery cables and not touching them together?

Also, if I can't actually see the screen, and I do the reset, and I need to enter the radio code, can I do that? At least my radio works right now...
All I can say is I have done it many times with no problems usually after charging the battery off car. This procedure is what the techs do at your dealer. There are some techs here in forum that say they have a wire with clips on the ends to do this.
I understand your apprehension though.
just removing cables won't do it.
But remember BOTH CABLES MUST BE REMOVED FROM THE BATTERY BEFORE TOUCHING THEM TOGETHER. Caps for emphasis.
After replacing wires try the power button code entry method first. you wouldn't need to see the screen with this method. Manual entry probably would be blind but all it takes is pushing buttons.

If you are apprehesive don't do it.

Miker

·
Banned
784 Posts
I don't think the mechanic did it. Your screen went out for whatever reason and the Honda dealer is trying to pin the problem to the mechanic. If changing a battery or resetting the MM can cause the screen to go out then Honda got a very unrobust system. If your MM was back to 100% then the mechanic knows what he/she is doing. So don't pin this on the mechanic. If you are so worried, why not go to the dealer instead of trying to save $5-$10 by going to Jiffy Lube.

·
Banned
33 Posts
I don't think the mechanic did it. Your screen went out for whatever reason and the Honda dealer is trying to pin the problem to the mechanic. If changing a battery or resetting the MM can cause the screen to go out then Honda got a very unrobust system. If your MM was back to 100% then the mechanic knows what he/she is doing. So don't pin this on the mechanic. If you are so worried, why not go to the dealer instead of trying to save $5-$10 by going to Jiffy Lube.

The timing of the failure is very suspicious though. It is hard to believe it is a coincidence.

·
Banned
784 Posts
The timing of the failure is very suspicious though. It is hard to believe it is a coincidence.
Taking the battery terminal out and in should not have caused this problem even if the mechanic did this to reset the MM. I will have to change my battery at some point so should I worry about my screen going blank. I think dealer is looking for a reason to blame the problem on the mechanic and trying to teach a lesson to the owner for not taking the car to the dealer for an oil change (or service).

·
Registered
924 Posts
sorry about that i thought i read that when in reverse it only showed a white screen. on the resetting of the system you dont enter a radio code if you have the touch screen model. you simply press and hold either the power or ok button, someone will chime in on the correct one im sure. just throwing that out there because you havent mentioned which trim level you have. if you have to enter the code it should be the first thing that pops up when the car is turned on and as long as you have your code you can enter it even with a white screen.

that being said i seriously doubt a reset being done by touching the battery cables together and discharging everything will help. but it wont hurt to try.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks everyone for the replies - I've got a 2013 sport CVT.

I think I'll hold off - taking it back to the dealer tomorrow to drop it off and they'll call Honda of America and work on it.

I think what people have said above makes sense - it's unlikely that an oil change / reset would cause this, but man the timing (literally it was fine the morning I drove it over, and then after the oil change the screen was messed up) makes me think something must have happened.

Now of course the dealer is going to try to deny fixing it under warranty, and the mechanic is going to deny that anything they could have done messed it up.

I could argue that under US law one must be able to preform normal maintenance at a non-dealer location, and that if something happened with a simple oil change, it's a fault of the car itself and thus should be covered under warranty. I really hope that I don't get screwed in the end...

·
Banned
784 Posts
Now of course the dealer is going to try to deny fixing it under warranty, and the mechanic is going to deny that anything they could have done messed it up.
Take it to a different dealer that is willing to help you. You do not have to service the vehicle at the place where you purchased it from. For any recall or warranty work, I take it to a dearler I like and trust the most.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This will teach you to do your own (light) maintenance

Sent from my HTC One
I've done a lot of car maintenance in the past by myself including many oil changes. Career and location don't leave the time/space to do my own maintenance at this point. No need to make statements like that when you don't have all the details.

I appreciate everyone's answers, and will let you know what I find out when they talk to Honda corporate tomorrow.

It's very strange - my radio works, all my buttons work, but the LCD screen has these moving white bars that fade in and out and change location almost like a screensaver.

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
Why did you tell the dealer about the oil change/mechanic?

Jay

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Dealer called, had some master techs look at it and think the screen failed. Said this would all be covered under honda warranty. I gave them the go ahead so they'll tear down the dash and hopefully all it is is the screen failure. Will update thread with resolution. Thanks for help everyone.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts