Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those that Are using Aftermarket ATFs.

I recently added 1/2 qt of Castrol for Imports to my 08 with approx 30K miles. I must have been a little low for a while. I Noticed a huge improvement in power, she feels NEW again. That little dipstick is hard to read especially with a clear red fluid, I always guessed that she was full.

Noticed a tiny bit (not much at all) of dried gunk on the outside of the transaxle by the dipstick opening and the little vent tube right next to it. My guess is that little rubber seal has a bit of give to it and allows for some fluid to slowly escape when the pressure is high.

Now I am thinking of having a drain and fill done at the local garage.
Who is using Valvoline or Castrol? Are you happy with the change and why???? Also the Redline supporters, is that easy to find at the local auto store? Are there other advantages to the aftermarket brands?? What else should I consider? (yes I know what the manual states).

Thanks everyone.

·
mobiless2
1,696 Posts
I'm using Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF, no issues.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Amazon is selling Red Line D4 ATF for $10.49 per quart, order 3 quarts (this is what you need for 1 drain&refill) you get free shipping, no sales tax. Sounds good?

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Valvoline Maxlife here.
Works the same as Z1, but it costs less and lasts longer.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Valvoline Maxlife here.
Works the same as Z1, but it costs less and lasts longer.
I have used both Castrol and Valvoline. I believe the Maxlife is slightly better.

Don't buy in to the Hyperbole about Z1.

I have an '07-4cylinder with 88,000 miles and ZERO issues.

I have changed my Magnefine filter twice.

·
Registered
184 Posts
BG, if you add their additive under 75K they will give you $2000 if your trans fails. You just have to service is every 30K and ad the additive.

·
Registered
184 Posts
If you service your transmission every 30K it won't fail...additive or not.:dunno:
I disagree! It's less likely to fail. My trans has only 70K and never missed a service, usually every 20K and it's acting up. We have customer's that have had multiple trans's put in. An Ody that's on it's 4th trans and a CL on it's 3rd. Both are regularly maintained. Just to name a few :paranoid:

·
Registered
377 Posts
I disagree! It's less likely to fail. My trans has only 70K and never missed a service, usually every 20K and it's acting up. We have customer's that have had multiple trans's put in. An Ody that's on it's 4th trans and a CL on it's 3rd. Both are regularly maintained. Just to name a few :paranoid:
The Ody transmissions are at best trouble prone. At worst, garbage.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
used D4 in my friends TL

order 4 just in case. we did 3x3 n needed 10 bottles. For some reason it drained an extra 1/2 qt.

·
Super Moderator
3,595 Posts
All Honda automatics since about 1998 have had issues. Changing the fluid is the best thing anyone can do to at least give them a chance at living a semi-long to long life.

The Odyssey (2nd gen) was just too big and heavy for the 4at, and again for the first try 5at. That 5at was bad enough in cars, add an extra 1100 lbs to drag around and you just aggravate a problem built in. The same basic trans is in all first gen Pilots until 2006.

Z1, is and always has been a poor fluid. It has poor thermal and shear stability, both needed in spades with the gear to gear pressures and the way in which Honda allows the clutches and torque converter to slip during shifts. I've seen the tests run by an independent lab, and it was quite interesting. Changing the fluid regularly is absolutely necessary, no matter what Honda's newer maintenance schedules call for.

Let's hope their DW-1 is a better fluid. On the older cars and ones out of warranty I'd still switch them to Redline D4, on '11 and up D6.

·
Super Moderator
3,595 Posts
You'd have to get in touch with Conoco Phillips who makes it, if they'd even release anything about it. Since it's a Honda branded product, Honda's usually not very good at releasing such things.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts