Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning All! I am hoping that someone here can help me out. At 52k, the OEM Michelin Pilots on my 08 sedan were ready for replacement. I have owned the car since 40k and always thought the Michelins were a bit hard and a tad noisy. Naturally, I expected ANY replacement tire to ride better/smoother than the outgoing OEMs.

So far I have been wrong. I tried a set of Cooper CS4's (despite some negative reviews) and they were just as noisy, if not noisier than the Michelin's. I also noticed a terrible thumping during the first 10 miles of driving each morning that I attributed to flat spotting over night in the Ohio weather.

Needless to say, I took advantage of the 30 day test drive and returned the set to Discount Tire. They were VERY accomodating and recommended their new Yokohama YK580. Supposedly it is an updated/upgraded version of the Avid Envigor, which got decent reviews. I will also say that the 580 comes with a 60k mile warranty instead of 45k like the Envigor (apparently the 580 has been tuned as more of a touring tire than true performance).

Anyway, I had the Yokes put on this past Tuesday and let the car sit for a day before bringing it to work this morning. The thump in these tires was worse than the Cooper's!! It did eventually work itself out, but it was more intense and lasted longer than the Cooper's. I NEVER experienced this kind of "warm-up" period with the Michelin's.

I guess my first question is, are these Accords THAT sensitive to replacement tires? And then is the OEM Michelin really that much better of a tire?!? I can't imagine that it makes that much of a difference, but I am curious if anyone else has run into these flat-spotting issues when moving from the OEM Michelin? I am tempted to either go back to the Cooper's and deal with it, or fork over the money for the Pilots. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

·
4,637 Posts
My dad's oem michelins(V) were replaced at around 48k with the Cooper CS4's T rated 80k tire. Put 30k on them and just traded the car. He loved them. Very quiet great grip excellent wear. I think the H/V rated tire is a 60k warranty. He wanted to swap the Coopers on the new Camry. Here's a thread about them on another website I belong to:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1708353#Post1708353

The MasterCraft LSR's are the identical tire fyi.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
+1

I agree! I am from Findlay where Cooper is headquartered and have always run their Discoverers on my 4Runner with EXTREME satisfaction. I thought the CS4's wouldn't be any different. Perhaps I was expecting too much from the replacements compared to the original OEMs?? We will see. Discount Tire said they still have the CS4s if I want them back. I might take them up on the offer...

Anyone else experienced flat spotting on this tire size??

·
Registered
21 Posts
My dad's oem michelins(V) were replaced at around 48k with the Cooper CS4's T rated 80k tire. Put 30k on them and just traded the car. He loved them. Very quiet great grip excellent wear. I think the H/V rated tire is a 60k warranty. He wanted to swap the Coopers on the new Camry. Here's a thread about them on another website I belong to:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1708353#Post1708353

The MasterCraft LSR's are the identical tire fyi.
michelin is fine when i switched to that brand i never tried trying and risking again to other tire manufacturer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts