Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, i have been looking for a step by step diy on installing aftermarket seats for the 7th gen but cant seem to find one. i got an i4 se sedan with cloth seats. Here are my concerns:

1. Do my oem cloth seats have airbags in them?
2. If so, will i only be getting the srs light and passenger weight sensor light?
3. Lastly, as long as the airbags dont deploy WHILE and AFTER install, then im good, i can deal with the lights and bypass later.

I dont wanna hear any of your rants if you havent done the install yourself or any experience at all. I just wanna know what i have to deal with to install my recaros, thanks!

·
I <3 My Honda
3,245 Posts
1.) Your car should have driver & passenger front air bags but you haven't mentioned the specific year or trim to determine if you have side curtain air bags. If they are cloth, I'm guessing it's an LX and that you do not have side curtain airbags. (On the sides of my leather seats is an attached tag that says "Airbag" or something in that nature...double check yours to be sure)

2.) You shouldn't have an issue with the SRS light and the passenger weight sensor is located inside of the seat. By removing the seat, you'll be removing the weight sensor - so it's hard to say if that'll trip the system or not :dunno:

3.) It is always a safety precaution to fully disconnect the battery when modifying anything that deals with the air bag system. By disconnecting all power to the system, they will not deploy on you while installing the new seats.

All-in-all, I'd say it's a pretty safe bet that you'll be fine and can go ahead with installing your Recaro seats :thmsup:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1.) Your car should have driver & passenger front air bags but you haven't mentioned the specific year or trim to determine if you have side curtain air bags. If they are cloth, I'm guessing it's an LX and that you do not have side curtain airbags. (On the sides of my leather seats is an attached tag that says "Airbag" or something in that nature...double check yours to be sure)

2.) You shouldn't have an issue with the SRS light and the passenger weight sensor is located inside of the seat. By removing the seat, you'll be removing the weight sensor - so it's hard to say if that'll trip the system or not :dunno:

3.) It is always a safety precaution to fully disconnect the battery when modifying anything that deals with the air bag system. By disconnecting all power to the system, they will not deploy on you while installing the new seats.

All-in-all, I'd say it's a pretty safe bet that you'll be fine and can go ahead with installing your Recaro seats :thmsup:
Thanks for the tip DreaminAccord! Yea my only concern is that if the airbags are gonna deploy while im doing the install! haha so basically is:

1. disconnect the batery
2. unbolt seats
3. disconnect all harness under oem seats
4 install oem seat belt buckle on aftermarket seats
5. install/bolt seats back on and connect batery

I didnt miss anything didnt I?

·
Bob's your UNCLE ...
2,028 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
just a thought.. you might want to look into what legal issues you may or may not have when trying to sell that car.. and if no legal issues due to "disclosure" will you even be able to sell it at all then... i know a dealer wouldnt take it.. so it would have to be 3rd party if or when that time comes.. i only say this. because a few years ago a neighbor had a honda that was Moded, and when he went to trade it in . the dealer wouldnt accept it..because 1) too much money for them to make it legal to be sold off their lots or 2) they werent legally allowed to sell it as is.. just saying.. thats all. if this is not important in any way.. then no biggie! have fun!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
just a thought.. you might want to look into what legal issues you may or may not have when trying to sell that car.. and if no legal issues due to "disclosure" will you even be able to sell it at all then... i know a dealer wouldnt take it.. so it would have to be 3rd party if or when that time comes.. i only say this. because a few years ago a neighbor had a honda that was Moded, and when he went to trade it in . the dealer wouldnt accept it..because 1) too much money for them to make it legal to be sold off their lots or 2) they werent legally allowed to sell it as is.. just saying.. thats all. if this is not important in any way.. then no biggie! have fun!
thanks for the heads up

1 - 6 of 6 Posts