Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all, I'm new to the site as I recently purchased a 2004 EX in January and I'm looking to get some aftermarket component speakers. I'm probably going to get the Alpine sps-600c, I've read good things and I don't need anything fancy. My question is whether using the crossovers will have a negative impact on sound quality because I'm pretty sure the original tweeters have their own speaker wires to the head unit. Is the head unit programmed to only send mid-range frequencies to the stock door speaker since the tweeter has it's own wire? If this is the case, the high frequencies won't be there to filter out to my new tweeters. Hopefully this makes sense and someone can clear things up. I've searched the forums and couldn't find any answers, if there is a post out there I apologize.Thanks Much.

·
Registered
575 Posts
bump. I wan't to know the same thing.

Are the stock tweeters connected directly to the stock head unit, or does the stock tweeter have a crossover network somewhere that also has to be disconnected?

·
2016 Nissan Maxima Platnm
3,499 Posts
The front speaker wiring from the head unit is left +/- and right +/-. There are no active crossovers in the non-premium audio head units. The front tweeters are wired off the front door speakers. When you install new component speakers, you have to run new wiring from the head unit to the active crossover included with your new speakers. Your new speakers are connected to the active crossover. (The 6 speed manual Accord included the Premium Audio System which included an active crossover on the back of the head unit for the front speakers and tweeters individually).

You won't lose any signals from the head unit because there is no active crossover in use in your factory set up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
if you dont run new wires from the tweeters to the crossover you will fry the tweeters due to the fact that the crossover has the needed filters to allow the tweeters to produce highs and no mids and also to reduce the power going to them. If you put the standard 30 watts to a tweeter without a crossover it will blow in no time. The easiest way is to make all your crossover connections behind your radio and run the new tweeter wires from the dash to behind the radio. If you need any help with the connections hit me up, i cant tell you how many of these set ups ive installedm probably in the high hundreds, once you do it once you will see how easy it is.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The front speaker wiring from the head unit is left +/- and right +/-. There are no active crossovers in the non-premium audio head units. The front tweeters are wired off the front door speakers. When you install new component speakers, you have to run new wiring from the head unit to the active crossover included with your new speakers. Your new speakers are connected to the active crossover. (The 6 speed manual Accord included the Premium Audio System which included an active crossover on the back of the head unit for the front speakers and tweeters individually).

You won't lose any signals from the head unit because there is no active crossover in use in your factory set up.

I just asked this question in your signature post (very nice install) and this kind of answers my question.

So at the back of the stock HU, is the stock wiring for the front left and right split in 2 when it comes out of the HU, 1 for the mid/bass door speaker, and the other side of the split going to the tweeter?

And when replacing these, I could cut the wires going to the old tweeter and cap them off, and only allow a run going to the Alpine Xover, and then run the wiring to the tweeter and to the mid/bass driver in the door?

·
2016 Nissan Maxima Platnm
3,499 Posts
I just asked this question in your signature post (very nice install) and this kind of answers my question.

So at the back of the stock HU, is the stock wiring for the front left and right split in 2 when it comes out of the HU, 1 for the mid/bass door speaker, and the other side of the split going to the tweeter?

And when replacing these, I could cut the wires going to the old tweeter and cap them off, and only allow a run going to the Alpine Xover, and then run the wiring to the tweeter and to the mid/bass driver in the door?
If you have an automatic transmission, no. The wires are not split at the head unit. The tweeters are split off the front speakers somewhere behind the dash. The front and rears receive a full range signal from the head unit. The tweeters have caps attached to cut the frequency. You can replace the 4 speakers and leave the factory tweeters installed and connected with no harm. The front speakers in the automatic Accords are not true component speakers.

·
Registered
86 Posts
The Alpine 600c Comps come with inline crossovers to the tweets and maybe on the woofer. I wonder if this would work, just using the stock wiring if you keep the Alpine tweeter crossover. I'm going to give it a try.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts